Kingsnake or Fender Hot Rod Deville?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PopsDiesel, Jul 20, 2005.

1. PopsDiesel

PopsDiesel Supporting Member

I'm (still) looking for the "perfect" grab-n-go gig amp. Based on the great wealth of information here at the Gear Page, I've narrowed my choices to either a Fender HRD or a Reverend Kingsnake. I don't use pedals; however I like the idea of a second channel that can get a little gritty. I also love the weight of the Kingsnake. Can anyone describe the tonal differences between the two and give me your recommendation? Thanks!!

2. 69strat

69strat Member

I have a head if your interested. By the way, I like the reverend much better than the HRD. My .02 Boy they are light.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Those Kingsnakes sound great. I played both a combo and a head at the Dallas show. A Kingsnake may just be my next amp.

4. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Have a Kingsnake...couldn't be happier for the price I paid (except the FX loop SUCKS IMO). Swap out the speaker if you don't like it and you'll be good to go (I swapped for an MC-90 with somone on this board, good choice). Responds well to volume knob/pickup changes, so you don't really need two channels. If you wanna go between clean and gritty, it can do that NO problem (as long as you know how to control your dynamics). I also use a FD2 in front for a good BOOST. At first I really liked in in US mode...now I almost NEVER take it out of the UK mode...just sounds much more interesting to my ears!

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I don't consider them in the same ballpark if you're serious about grab 'n' go.

Kingsnake: Combo Size/Weight: 18-1/2" wide, 18-3/4" tall, 10-1 /2" deep. 32 lbs.

Hot Rod Deville 2X12: 21” H x 24.25” W x 10.75” D
    • 53.5 lbs.

Hot Rod Deville 4X10: 23.5” H x 23.5” W x 10.75” D
    • 50 lbs.

6. zenpeace69

zenpeace69 Supporting Member

Kingsnake all the way. I have the Hellhound and I can't get over how versatile, loud, and full of classic tone this amp is.

7. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

if you like footswitchable channels, i know at least one person on here has had the hellhound modded to make the US/UK footswitchable, and i'm guessing the same could be done for the kingsnake?

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The grab n go Fender is the Hotrod DELUXE. 40 watt 1x12 with the same guts as the Deville but only 40 lbs. The Hotrod series has great cleans but the dirty channel ain't so hot. Most guys I know use pedals with the clean channel and avoid the hotrod side like the plague. With all due respect to the "turn it to 10 and use your guitar volume to switch between clean and dirty" crowd, The Kingsnake does clean OR dirty. If you want both - at equal volume AND instantaneously available (and you know you do) - you will want to use pedals.

9. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I never said "crank it to 10". You have to factor in that you generally need more volume anyway with a distorted tone than you do with a clean tone. For sure, when I've set the level of my OD pedal to MATCH the level of the clean amp when no-one else is playing, it sounds fine. BUT when the whole band is playing and I kick in the OD, I'm like, "Where's my guitar??" I bring up the pedal's level to where it can be heard in the mix at the same volume as the clean tone I was just playing, but when the band stops, the OD level sounds MUCH louder than the clean tone when I A/B it.

Plus, I'm taking into consideration the original poster actually SAID. He said, "a little gritty", and to me, that doesn't translate as "cranked to 10." Anyway, I set the gain on my Kingsnake to where it gets pretty darn dirty when using the bridge humbucker along with some hefty attack. When I switch to the neck single-coil I can get it to be almost 100% clean just by being sensitive to it (attack-wise) w/o even touching the volume knob. The fact is the PLENY of players use this technique with a lot of success, so you don't NEED an OD pedal to acheive what you're talking about. I DON'T disagree that it's nice to have one for additional gain/sustain, but I also think that if you don't think the volume/dynamics approach works, you just can't do it yet...or don't have an amp that will let you.

10. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I can't comment on the Kingsnake as I've never tried it but can about the HRD. Ive owned 4 of them the Deluxe, Deville 2x12 and (2) 4x10s.....They are heavy......I like the Deluxe better than the others and recently owned a 2x12 made in the USA that had a very pleasing OD sound (using the 2nd channel. This is very rare as the 2nd channel on those amps are basically useless, they are very muddy)......If you don't want to use any kind of pedal then go for another amp as this amp is a pedal lover....One of the best amps I've played that like pedals....The clean sound is very good and it will rival many high priced amps......

11. SFW

SFW Member

I own a HRD, the lead channel isn't bad for solos... but if you want dirty rythm, you'll need a good pedal.

Have you considered the Orange Rocket 30?

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Of course I know lots of guys use the volume knob to great effect (Jeff Beck comes to mind). But many of these guys play mainly dirty so they dial the amp for a great dirty sound and then roll back for pseudo clean. I'd rather dial in a fantastic clean or slightly edgey tone (where I can control the harmonic content with pick attack like you mentioned) and kick in an OD/boost for dirty rhythm/lead. Either way is a compromise AFAIC so I guess it comes down to what works for you. I find rolling down the guitar volume even with the treble cap mod makes my tone thinner. I also like balanced pickups - not one hot/one cold (I'm a strat/tele guy). I find it easier and better sounding to use pedals for virtual channel switching and lead boosts IF a full sounding clean tone is most important to you. YMMV;)

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

That would be me. ;)

[​IMG]

I (Pete Cage did the actual work - great tech!) also added a pot to the UK circuit to dial in as much or as little mid-boost as desired.

[​IMG]