Kingwood vs. Brazilian Rosewood

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pep, Aug 22, 2006.

1. pep

pep Member

I have no experience with Kingwood, although it looks very pretty and supposedly sounds quite similiar to Brazilian RW. Has anybody played a guitar with a Kingwood fretboard? How did it feel and sound to you? I really prefer the snap that a Brazilian board offers over Indian RW, but I think that Kingwood looks way cooler. Opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. matte

matte Senior Member

feels pretty similar to me. have had plenty of guitars with either one or the other.

3. pep

pep Member

Matte, did you think the sound was pretty similiar?

4. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

this should make you guys jealous. A couple years ago I came across some old growth brazilian. The source was supposed to be a furniture maker who closed his doors in the early 60's. At the same wood place they had kingwood. I gave Tommy at www.usacustomguitars.com a call and he told me the size blanks he needed and this is what came out of it. I hand picked the best sounding piece of kingwood and the brazilian was one of 3 pieces they had left.. (btw I picked up all 3.. one I gave to my father in law.. even tighter grain, it's darker, and it's rift sawn, not flat like this one so it's probably a bit stiffer. The other piece I have sitting away and one day I'll get around to using it.) This was about 2 years ago. I went back to that same wood shop the other day and the selection of kingwood was still ok for fretboards but no more brazilian.

So anyways, Tommy made this killer tele neck. No finish, not dyed, this is how dark the brazilian naturally is. I had it installed on a body for about 2 minutes... I made the nut but filed the low e a little too low and so I took it off and it's been sitting here ever since. The body I was going to put it on went to other use and that's a whole nother story.

Anyway here are the pics. Keep in mind that the flash make it look lighter than it really is. It's smooth as a baby's bottom and I just have to come up with a nice body to do this one justice. Ah, yet another project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

and btw, if I could go back I'd probably spec it to be a 1 piece neck just to keep it more traditional looking. I like the way the fretboard looks, just it's not traditional.

6. pep

pep Member

That is just sick! I was looking fow raw wood at a local supplier about a year ago and the Brazilian RW they had was not only expensive, but the grain wasn't anywhere near as tight as that. Nice find!

7. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Thanks for the compliment. The cost of the wood was cheaper than I thought but certainly not cheap.

I also have some other wood in my stash that I haven't got around to using yet.

8. pep

pep Member

Did you ever make anything out of the kingwood?

9. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

The fretboard is kingwood.

This is the place I got the stuff from:
    http://www.macbeath.com/

Give them a call and ask if they have what you're looking for. I believe they charge by the pound for kingwood. But let them know that you intend to use it for a guitar... There's this guy who works there, his name is drawing a blank but he has curly blond hair. He told me he builds too. He'll help you out.

10. pep

pep Member

Ok, the peices of the puzzle come together. I thought that it looked pretty wild for being Brazilian. Thanks for the contact info. I will give them a call and see what they have. I am thinking of going with a Birdseye maple neck with a nice straight grain kingwood plank FB.

11. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

If you go that route I recommend Tommy at USA Custom. If you send in the wood he charges the cost for maple/maple neck. Email or call him to make sure he still does that. But I can't recommend him more. Great guy to talk with and he really knows his stuff. He plays and can tell you what will get you your tone. He's a traditionalist but open to new woods. Try talking to someone from Warmoth and they'll try and sell you the most expensive neck they have and give you crappy service at that. Tommy will hook you up right.