Kinman 60´s Tele set

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by prof2915, Aug 30, 2005.

1. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

Hi

Are there anyone using Kinmans AVN 60´s set for Telecaster?

I bought a set some months ago and the neck pickup puzzles me a bit...

First of all it had to be adjusted as close to the strings as possible in order to balance the bridge pickup
    but still it was a bit weak.
    Playing clean it has less bass than a standard Telepickup - which I think is a good thing - playing distorted however
    it has a muddy unfocused low register that makes it hard to use.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Having heard great clips of the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage tele PUs I regret not buying those:(

2. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Have you asked Chris? He's usually very responsive to problems. It might be just a simple correction with caps or something.

I had a set of 60's in a tele and I thought they sounded great, but I played mostly clean so I can't comment about the performance with gain.

3. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

No I have´nt.
    There is also a problem with the bridge pickup feeding back.
    I´ve done everything I can to fix the bridge plate so it does´nt vibrate, but still there´s feedback.
    Chris Kinman claims that his pickups do not feedback - and they are really very well built by the look of them - and as I live in Europe (and Kinmas are beeing made in Australia) I´ve just given up hope of getting these problems fixed...

I´m not saying that Kinmans suck - ´cause they don´t - but I really was expecting something more.

Has anyone made an A/B test of Kinmans VS DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Tele PUs?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Kinda- I have the AVN 48 "Broadcasters" in my 62 RI Tele, and I've compared them to the VVs. No comparison, IMO, the Kinmans sound more real and have more depth.

I know the Broadcasters sound different than the 60s pickups, but I don't have any problems with level matching, feedback, or a lack of lows.

I strongly suggest contacting Chris Kinman about your problems.

5. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

I was planning to buy the Broadcasters, but was kind´talked into getting the 60´s :mad:

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

You shouldn't be having feedback problems with any of the Kinmans, and the low end problem you describe is odd. Did you buy new or used (no offense intended)?

7. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

New, directly from the Kinman website.

8. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I wouldn't get too pissed until you've got to the bottom of the problem. Something definitely sounds astray. I think the 60's are great pups. I pretty much agree with the reviews on this one.

I really think you should have contacted Chris first before posting about how bad the pups are...half the time, a lot of problems are user induced...unintentionally of course.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Then write Chris and tell him the problems you're experiencing. In my experience, Kinmans don't have any of the problems you're describing whatsoever.

10. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I agree, you should contact Kinman. I have to say if the neck pickup sounds the way you describe and the bridge p/u is feeding back then I would say that this particular set (at the moment) sucks...

Hopefully it's something simple. I haven't tried Kinman's but the feedback I've heard is largely very favorable.

11. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

Well I did write this:

and this:

Kinmans are supposed to be "top of the line" pickups - that´s why I bought them - and I do belive that one is entiteled to express ones opinion.

Playing the guitar has been my full time profession for 30 years and the problems I´m describing are not due to "unintentional user inducted problems".

I´m sure that Kinmans are great stuff, and it might as well be so that I just had bad luck...
    There are no Kinman dealers here in Sweden and having my tech taking the pickups out of the guitar and then sending them all the way to Australia seems like a lot of trouble.

My intention with this thread was to see if anyone else had the same problems - hyped products sometimes DO suck - not to pick on Chris Kinman.
    Chris probably makes great pickups 9999 times out of 10000.
    I was just the unlucky guy...

12. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

As has already been posted, yours don't appear to be performing typically at all. My comments still stands re contacting the maker first especially as you bought direct, unless you're 100% sure they're fully working and implemented correctly. Kinman's customer service is top shelf...I'm sure he'd see you right.

There's quite a few reviews of this model at HC, and all are positive except for the first one which appears to have dubious content.

13. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

I feel that I have to set a few things straight here:

Some of you have gotten the impression that my post was about "how bad Kinmans are".
    Thats not true.

I belive that Kimans are among the best pickups one can buy.
    Probably THE best humcancelling "single coil" out there.

I´ve been a full time professional musician for 30 years, and I DO have high demands on my gear.

I wrote that the neck pickup had less bass than a standard Fender pickup, and that I considered that to be a good thing. (Many Fender Teles sound muddy in the neck position)

The strange thing is that upon beeing used with a distorted sound the PU reacts with more (unfocused) bass than expected.

When I wrote that this made it "hard to use" this does not mean that the pickup is impossible to use or horrible sounding.
    It means that it does not meet my professional needs (by producing an average sound instead of a great sound.)

The bridge pickup does feedback when I play LOUD!
    None of my other guitars do.

I would not hesitate to recommend Kinmans to anyone BUT I really was expecting (even) more from them.

14. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Supporting Member

Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman. Contact Chris Kinman.

Got it??

15. johan

johan Member

Peter - Kontakta Chris Kinman. Han hjälper dej säkert. Mycket trevlig man som säkert gör vad han kan för att du ska bli nöjd.

Got it??? ;)

16. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

Yeah, I got it.

17. drolling

drolling Member

Hey prof, another Eb player chiming in here. The DiMarzio VV series are great pickups, but Kinmans sound closer to single coils to me.

I've got AVn 48s in my tele and the two are well matched, volume wise. I'm not handy with a soldering iron & I didn't spend hours adjusting pickup height, either. If anyone could make a user error, it would be me. That's why I'm in agreement with the suggestion to contact Chris. Guy stands behind his product and he WILL make it right.