Kinman guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BoyMambo, Sep 11, 2004.

1. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

I was in a guitar shop the other day and they had three Kinman made guitars, a strat and two teles. They were in a display case, and all I was told was how valuable they were. Has anybody seen or played a Kinman made guitar, it is the same Kinman as the pick up guy?

2. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Yes, they are made by Chris Kinman of Kinman pickups. I'm not sure how many guitars he has made—I don't think it is that many—but it is part of what contributes to his overall prowess in designing pickups and knowing guitars intimately.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

4. muddy

muddy Member

chris told me he made quite a few guitars when he was located in sydney. it was a local biz, but from all accounts, they were highly sought after.

ml

5. fernmeister

fernmeister Member

One of the few things I regret was passing up a kinman axe for Au$575 about 15 years ago. It was a lovely instrument.

6. paul dowley

paul dowley Member

Yes it is, i have a kinman telecaster guitar green in colour, white scratch plate silver hardware, 3 pickup config in mint condition I purchased nearly 20 years ago, and yes they are vary nice to play. Serial no: 401001, I think trying to remember am at work at the moment. The guitar is signed and dated by Chris Kinman under the neck where it bolts onto the guitar body. Have no idea it's worth, anyone have any idea?

7. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Varies on model, originality, condition and playability. But in the end the replacement cost far exceeds the price you will get when you sell. I was offered a mint one for $1500 (AUD) but I have also seen well played ones for the same and they have just both sat in the shops for a year or more.

Should be a great guitar keep it. But if you want to sell and you are based in Sydney, send me a message or email.

8. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

A friend of mine from school used to work in Kinman's store in South Brisbane, and owned one of his strats, a really nice guitar. They had quite a good rep, but I don't think Kinman is making guitars these days, though I could be wrong.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

Yes it is and yes he did...he used to have several different models...

his workhorse being the Blueprint strat style guitar and the Top of the line Icon series...I think he made about 200 Blueprints and quite a bit fewer Icons...

Before Chris got into the passive noise canceling pu's I was in Brisbane on business and wandered into the Guitar Center Southbank...this shop was formerly owned by Chris and I walked out with a Blueprint and actually met Chris who was gracious enough to take me on tour of his factory in Moorooka after which I ended up ordering a custom made strat style Icon by him...

I ended up playing the Icon exclusively for about 6 or 7 years when I decided to quit playing strats and moved on to teles...I eventually sold them both but the Kinmans didn't seem have much value outside of Australia where they are revered...

The Blueprint was a nice guitar but nothing really extraordinary but the Icon was something special...

I had a hard time selling both of them and took quite a beating on the used market...

Chow,
    Seegs