Kinman HX Single Coil 'vs' Fender Noiseless Single Coil ...... something sounds "weird" .... ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by benifin, May 7, 2016.

1. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Hi all

This has me a bit stumped. In short:-

-> my Strat with Kinman HX S/Coil [ 9.5k ] in bridge = silent = even and clear = nice and growlly and ballsy in a good way [for a S/Coil]

For "something to do" I picked up a Fender Noisless Bridge S/Coil [ 10.5k ] to try it out

Swapped out my Kinman and kept the same identical pickup heights / pole stagger / strings / amp settings etc....

Result

-> my Strat with Fender Noiseless [ 10.5k ] in bridge = silent = way heaps brighter = much less growl and guts = noticably "wimpier" / "way less oomph"

I naturally expected some differences but it sounds exactly like the Fender Noiselss is like a 5k Single Coil not a 10k s/coil ....... way "less hot" [ not is a good way] than the 1k less Kinman.

I have checked and everything is working and wired in fine.

Any thoughs / ideas / comments ?

Ben

2. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

First of all, resistance is not a good measure of pickup output.

Second, both of those pickups are "stacked noiseless" so their resistance values are the sum of the top and bottom coil (assuming they are wired in series).

Third, they are very different designs. Kinman, for example, is playing some pretty serious tricks with the bottom coil, using a laminated metal bobbin to increase the noise gathering capability, while minimizing losses. He's probably able to use fewer winds on the bottom coil than the Fender, at least partially accounting for the resistance difference.

There's more than that going on, too. Maybe some wire gauge differences, etc.