Kinman Woodstock Plus - anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oxtone, Dec 9, 2005.

1. oxtone

oxtone Member

Anyone here use the Kinman Woodstock Plus pickups? What do you think of them? I've been muling over whether to replace my EMG SA's with those.

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Best set of pickups Kinman makes IMO. Been through a few sets of them, now though only in guitars I've sold or will be selling.

I've always said they sound More Strat Than Strat. Like a Strat - but with no noise.

I'm also an unabashed EMG hater, so I'm pretty confident in saying a set of Woodstock+ pickups will make you wonder how you made it so long with them in your guitar :)

--chiba

3. bspears

bspears Member

Replaced my Kinman Hank Marvins with the Woodstocks and I could not be happier. I need to find a place to park the Marvins.:AOK

4. oxtone

oxtone Member

Thanks for chiming in on this. I've been thinking about this a long time, after trying every Kinman pickup with Chris Kinman at the NAMM Show a few years ago. From what I know he doesn't do the NAMM show anymore. But, Chris was very helpful, and had all his pickups set up on special Strat style pickguards that could be quickly installed with a quick release/setup Strat style guitar. Very cool. The NAMM Sound Police where telling me to turn down, of course...

I find myself using mostly the bridge pickup on the EMG SA's - the in between sounds are unusable IMO - they get too muddy on my Boogie Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig.

Also, did any of you guys get the Solder-less Kinman's, and/or the Neck Pickup Mix Pot, which enables 7+ sounds?

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

What do you like about the Woodstock more than the Hank Marvins??

I have woodstock right now and am curious about those Marvins.

Thanks

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a set of the AVn Blues on one of my strats and I like it. What might I be missing??

jon

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

BD, I think the Woodstocks are a bit hotter than the Blues. I know the Woodstock+ set *definitely* is, especially at the bridge, where Chris puts his (amazing) Hx-85 pickup, which is kind of like crossing a Strat pickup with a P-90.

Depends on what you're playing as to whether you're 'missing' anything!

--chiba

8. DK207

DK207 Member

I did. I don't use the 7 way all that much though. A huge improvement from my stock texas specials. Really easy to install, too.:BEER

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

Hendrix99,

Do you think the 7 way is just too many choices? I'm pretty much OK with just a 5 way switch. What sounds on the 7 way are usable? Are there any that are not? I've heard you can get a "Tele" type sound mixing the bridge and neck pickups.

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Jon, I have the AVn Blues set and the regular Woodstock set. The Blues are 'aged' and the Woodstocks are 'new', so they're a bit brighter, with a touch more clarity and detail. I like having both sets for the variety.

It's not too many choices at all - far from it. It gives you the neck + bridge combo, which is the Tele sound, and it's beautiful - also similar to a Les Paul in the middle position - very useful. Plus you get all three pickups together, which is very chimey and bell-like and great for rhythm tones - a bit quacky, but more refined - beautiful with chorus. Both are excellent additions to the 5 standard choices.

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

Ron,

Thanks for your help on this. I do alot of different type gigs, and occasional session work, so maybe the 7 way would be useful for that. I always get compliments on my tone with the EMG's, but I'm a bit tired of the sterilty of them. I tried Fralins, but they were too bright and noisy on my Walnut STRAT.

Looks like the Woodstock Plus system with the 7 way and solderless harness would run about $500.00. That's $50.00 less than what I paid for the guitar originally (used)!!! :eek:

12. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I don't usually browse in this section, but I happened by this post.
    When LeonC built his homebrew Strat, I played it and loved his Woodstock+ Kinmans. At the time, I was in the process of assembling my Frankenstrat2 partscaster. My beloved original Frankenstrat (#01) has the EMG DG-20 harness.
    I always loved the DG active electronics (mid boost and mid-cut pots replacing the standard strat tone pots), but I never thought that the EMG active alnico single coils were very 'strat-like'. They are quiet, and effective, and play well, but I longed for a more authentic and authoratative yet versatile strat tone. Still, I didn't want to sacrifice the noiselessness of the EMG active harness.
    I wrote to Chris Kinman, and he couldn't have been nicer. He worked with me on wiring up a Kinman solderless harness that incorporated his Woodstock+ pickups, using the active EMG pots from the DG-20 harness. (The pots alone are available after-market at about $50. each) It truly is the best of both worlds.
    Disclaimer- I tend to set up my amps to be 'dark' and I usually play on the bridge pickup. Positions 2 and 4 will yield extreme woody, hollowed out 'cluck' when you engage the mid-cut knob. Far beyond any other set-up you have ever heard. Think 'super-cluck'.
    The mid-boost on top of the overwound bridge pickup on the Woodstock plus set will put you into humbucker territory, with controlled feedback and rich meaty overdrive. (I think Chris's initial reaction to his first bench test was 'Holy Sh*t!)
    There is a small amount of added hiss that may not be suitable for quiet recorded passages (something I don't ever do). There will be a 9v battery located under the pickguard, but no routing is required, and it lasts 1500 hours if you alway remember to unplug the guitar (Du-uh!)
    Anyway- this setup is fairly unique, and its not for everyone's taste, but it certainly works for me and I thought I'd share.
    If you care to e-mail Chris about it, he will undoubtably remember Barry's Frankenstrat harness.

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

Frankenstrat2,

Thanks for letting me know. I have what amounts to the EMG DG-20 system in my Walnut "The STRAT". I Installed the SPC and EXG Expander separately over the years. I don't use the EXG very much - only slightly. I like the SPC for a mid boost on solo's....

Not sure I understand how the Active EMG controls work with the Passive Kinmans. Do they really sound Strat like? Is the overwound bridge pickup meaty enough without the EMG SPC control? Or would I miss the mid boost of the SPC with the Kinman? I don't want the Kinmans to sound like the EMG's, in a sense, but am concerned they might not be powerful enough. The EMG's have a pretty high gain to them. I don't play Metal, but classic rock type sounds, and use a Radial Tonebone Classic thru a Boogie Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig, and about 15 other pedals - i.e. delay, reverb, phasor, trem, wa, microvibe, keeley comp, etc...