kinman woodstock question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sabbath90, Apr 25, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i'm thinking about these to upgrade my american standard strat. i know that they're pretty agressive for single coils which is great, and i know they're for the late-60's hendrix lead tone which is really really great, but how do they sound clean? can they do a hey joe/little wing-intro type of tone, and how well do they do it? thanks!

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

thanks man. i'm sold.

p.s.-nice playing on that clip.

4. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

I replaced the Fender Noiseless pickups that came with the American Deluxe strat I have with a set of Woodstocks, and have been totally happy. I even found I go to the in between positions more than I ever used to. Leonc's clips are a good demo, for sure.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

The Woodstock+ set has his Hx-85 as the bridge pickup. It's a bit hotter than the AVn-69b from the 'regular' Woodstock set. The Hx-85 gets closer to a P-90 tone-wise. Great pickup.

--chiba

Madguitrst likes this.
  6. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Chiba - does it still allow for a decent quack tone in between the bridge and middle position?

7. Chiba

I have to admit I have absolutely NO idea what 'quack' tone is. I'm sure if I heard it and somebody said - right then - HEY CHIBA, THAT'S QUACK - I'd know, but it's one of the tone buzzwords that totally escape me.

I'll tell you this though, I hardly ever use the middle pickup, even in the Kinman set. My primary settings are bridge, bridge + neck, and neck. When I want to get quieter without changing my guitar's volume, I add in the middle pickup - and that's about it.

I love the Hx-85, I have to say it's my favorite single coil pickup ever. (I run it through a master tone, though - my Strat only has 2 knobs & my PRS with the Kinmans only has 1!).

--chiba

8. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Mark Knopfler's 'Sultan's of Swing'.
    Clapton's 'Bell Bottom Blues'.
    Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama' intro.
    These are three famous in-between [bridge+middle] quack tones off the top of my head.

I've got Fender Fat 50's in one of my Strats. They're pretty cool, but I'm still on a quest to find what I'm hearing in my head.:rolleyes:

9. Chiba

This one I know well. Why do they use the word 'quack'? To me that sounds smooth and kind of mid-rangey.

when I think 'quack', I think of a duck, and I dunno about you guys, but the noise a duck makes...that's not something I want coming out of my guitars!

:D

--chiba