kinmans or area single coils?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cylon, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

the price difference isn't really that great between the two just lookin for a noiseless Hendrix vibe

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

They're both great options. A Kinman set will run you $254, Areas $170. The Kinmans are marginally better, but only you can decide what those last few percentage points of tone are worth. The trick with the Areas is to get the 58/67/61 set and replace the 58 with another 67.

3. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I vote kinman. The woodstocks are amazing. Also if you go area either get 2 67s or put 67 in the neck position. It's their best one and a waste in the middle

4. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

:agree along with the Areas but I'd opt for the Suhr back plate. I know it's still on their site but I think they may be discontinued? They are coming out with a built in version II of the SSC and don't know when they are making it available for retrofit on other guitars. I have the built in version on three Classics and haven't looked back.

5. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

6. changeling

changeling Member

i use a mix of kinman and areas.
    i agree that the woodstock set is his best,at least for what i like.
    but they all pale in comparison to a really great set of fender stratocaster pickups.i just can't deal with noise.
    the areas are nice and bright but lack true bass extension like great fender pickups have;e.g,hendrix rhythm gtr intro to "rock me baby" at monterey pop.
    chris kinmans pickups are richer in the mids and lo mids,but lack the scoop and
    "tinsel"that a guy like lindy fralin can wind all day.
    however,lindys noiseless blades didnt seem to catch on.
    my moneys on john suhr to make the ultimate proletarian strat pickup solution for ears that cant deal with the hum.cause you can use your favorite pickups.
    he's got the resources and the smarts.
    the iilitch i'm sure is great,but with his r+d recoup off the top,i'm sure his price has the reflect that.

7. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

and the areas are 70$ a piece

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

I can't find a price on the suhr backplate on the Internet either

9. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

I'm on that shot if I can find it lol

10. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Is it possible to use the Kinmans for fat, rich tones and maybe use a phase switch when you want them scooped in the mids ?

11. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

wouldn't a mid boost be better?

12. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Yes, but if you use the trick I mentioned earlier, you can get their 58/67/61 set for $170 and just horse trade 1 or 2 of the set and save a decent chunk of change.

13. throbert

throbert Member

Just curious to know why?

I tried Kinmans on a couple of guitars years ago and they are a decent product but I didn't like the strat set nor the tele set enough to keep them. I've always wanted to try the Dimarzio Areas but I could never decide with combination to get.

14. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

15. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I like the 58/58/61 combo better myself

16. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

OP's looking for a Hendrix sound. To my ears the 67 has more sparkle than the 58 and better captures that sound.

17. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

OP and this poster should buy 2 sets and swap 58's and 67's :D

That would make everyone happy. To me 67 is best noiseless single not made by Kinman. And truth be told the Kinman is only a slight notch better IMO. Those Areas are pretty awesome.

18. b3john

b3john Member

I know there are some serious fans of the BPSSC here, but I found it much quirkier than I had expected. A friend who bought the one I had just loves it with a non-RW/RP middle pickup.

I might reconsider one of the built-in systems in a Suhr Strat, but I doubt I'd ever mess with the aftermarket version again.

Especially considering how great the Areas sound.

As always, YMMV.

IMO, if you get the 61/67/58 set, the trick is to swap the 58 and the 67, especially using position 4. :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  19. bluemood

bluemood Member

I have a set of woodstock plus on my Jimi Hendrix Voodoo strat yes they are completly balanced and silent with a very rich meds...
    I also ordered the K9 switching unit,but sometimes I feel there is something missing ...
    I did play it today and it sounded find so I dont know might just be me.

20. FreeFrog

FreeFrog Member

Check the Bill Lawrence Q filter. I've mounted an home made version of it with a Blues Set and 500k pots in a Strat, and it works better than expected - the dude who owns that guitar has been surprised.