1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kinman's or...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SlinkyMan, Jan 28, 2006.

1. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Hey guys, looking for a set of Strat pickups, wondering if you could help me out.

So lately I've been really digging Mark Knopfler's strat quack tone on songs like 'Down to the waterline' and 'Sultan's of Swing', and anything by SRV... but I also would like a nice quacky funk tone in mid/bridge, mid/neck positions. And a bridge pickup that works great overdriven.

Any idea's? I was thinking Kinmans Woodstocks Reg's, or perhaps WCR?

Thanks very much... price isn't much of an issue at this stage.

Rock on! :dude

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

My experience is that Kinmans sound good but not quite as good as something like John Suhr's std pups

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I have the Woodstock+ set in my Strat, and have put the same set in 2 of my other guitars in the past. Best Strat pickups around IMO. I can't speak to their suitability for funk music, but the cleans are clean and they push both pedals and amps quite well for overdrive sounds. Dead silent as well, just great pickups.

--chiba

4. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I prefer my Fender CS 54's over the Kinman's, based on tone. I really liked how quiet the Kinman's were. I need to talk to Kinman, see about checking out a different set.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Every guitar has different properties so saying something like I like so and so sounds better really doesn't matter. The reason I say this in my jap strat my kinman avn 62's sound great so what I did is take the complete pick guard out and put it into another strat. With the other guitar, rosewood board and I think a poplar body (Mexican 60's reissue) the guitar sounded bad. Originally the Mexican strat had lace sensors in it. In this case the lace sensors sounded better.

The crux of the bisquit should does hum bother you? If it does and or you play high gain stuff the Kinman's are great. I have found that the Kinman's respond very well to high gain stuff, they seem more even and focused.

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Dimarzio Virtual vintage 2.1 in the neck and middle and Virtual 2 neck in the bridge. Killing set with plenty of chime and quack and reasonably priced.

7. chaz bernstein

chaz bernstein Member

...noiseless pickups are a little too revisionist for me. i gladly go along with a reverse middle pickup so 2 and 4 humbuck. but going noiseless just seems a little fussy for my taste. i mean, un-noiseless pickups just aren't that - uh - noisy.

maybe if i played jazz - but then i'd probably want humbuckers or charlie christian-style pickups.

there are just so many great quack-o-licious, hand-wound pickups out there. fralin, rolph, duff, voodoo, van zandt, lollar....i'd shop around for some vintage-design pickups that really fit my style.

such as it is.

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Isn't SUHR making the SSC aftermarket kit now? I thought I saw it for like $325 at indoor storm. I believe you still need to add your favorite set of pickups though. However, if price is not an object, this is probably the best of all worlds.

9. C3X

C3X Member

I have tried quite a few and like the Kinman's pretty well. I have a set of the Blues and a set of the Woodstocks. The Blues are better suited for SRV tones. However, I prefer the Woodstocks. It took me awhile to dial them in, they are very sensitive to height setting, but they are the best pickups Kinman makes in my opinion.

However, I recently dropped in a set of Lollar Blondes (Alinico IIs) in an old AM Std. I dig Lollar's P-90's and after trading some emails with him and talking to the guys at Acme, I went with the Blondes. They have turned out to be the perfect strat pickups for me. I just dig the vintage tone they produce. I actually like the lower output pickups better with an overdrive pedal when I need to fatten things up.

You can hear a bunch of sound clips of various strat pickups here- http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/webpage.aspx?webpage_id=1

The guys at Acme are great to deal with, btw.