Kinmans vs VanZandt w/ Suhr BPSSC?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Crunchyriff, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I want the quietest system for my Vintage Hot Rods that sounds the most legit. I love the sounds of VanZandts (which I've had in the past), but don't want the noise.

So I'm looking at either a full set of Kinman Woodstocks; or the VanZandt Vintage plus pickups, with the Suhr noiseless system. The latter is a bit more pricey for all combined parts. Nearly double the price of the Kinman System.

I'm also going to go all-out with shielding in my strats to help:

Paint or copper tape for the cavity?

Anybody who has used both systems, please tell me your thoughts before I take the plunge. Thanks.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I don't think either of these guys get much love around here when there's Dimarzio and all the other options.

3. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Yeah- I know. I hear the VV2's are cool. I don't want DiMarzio's however. Nothing from them. My '57 Vintage Hot Rod already has a DiMarzio in it, that I can't wait to yank out.

The best SingleCoil I've ever heard was the VanZandt Vintage Plus, which I had in a strat in the 90's. So that's my point of reference. I thought there might be enough Strat guys here to give me some objective input on these two options.

4. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Mods- can we move this over to the "guitars in general" section? Maybe I'll get some more bites over there.

Thanks!

5. Man with Gas

Man with Gas Member

I have both Kinmans and the SUHR system with Fralin Vintage Hots and IMO the Suhr is the way to go.

Kinmans do sound good but single coils with the Suhr are better if you want true vintage coil sounds. Again the Kinmans are excellent but the law of physics dictates nothing is a single coil unless it is a single coil.

Let us know what you decide to do.

BTW: Street price for the Suhr system is around $260.00. You can fit it yourself in 30 mins so long as you can manage a soldering iron.

6. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

MWG- that has been my experience too, with stacked coils. I've heard some pretty good ones, but still they are NOT the same as a true single-coil. So I have been wary of the Kinmans for the same reason.

Okay, so tell me about your noise- or lack of it. Did you use any other protocols, such as thorough shielding of the control cavity, grounding, etc; and whatever you have done, on a scale from 1-10 (10 being totally silent, 1 being standard sc noise) where are both systems on the noise scale?

Thank you so much.

7. Man with Gas

Man with Gas Member

With the Suhr system I have NO NOISE and I use extreme high gain using my Soldano SLO100, Egnater TOL100, Marshall JVM and Elmwood Moderna 60. (Yes I sometimes use ODs into these)

Noise Scale? at least an 8. NO pickup is noiseless. The bridge pickup always sounds quieter than the neck and middle pups on my guitars. Why? I don't know.

I used to be a humbucker player because I couldn't stand the noise of single coils and when I used a lot of gain it would sound like a mess. Once I installed the Suhr all things came together. (I do use them at live shows and not just my bedroom!)

For me now when I use my Kinman loaded Strats I don't like them as much after using single coils with the Suhr.

No I didn't add any further shielding to my stock Strats. For the record I installed the Suhr into 8 of my Strats. (I have another 3 with Kinmans)

I'm now waiting for the TELE version to come out.

Regards,
    MWG

8. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

MWG: Thanks ya done pushed me into the Suhr System.
    Geeze I can see about $800+ to outfit my two Vintage HotRod Strats accordingly (including a new set of pickups each)... oh well. :crazy

Thanks for your time, my friend. :D

RWB

9. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I've used Fender, Lace, Dimarzio and even Kinman noiseless pups and the Suhr BBS with various different regular single coils.

Handsdown the Suhr system sounds the best as far as "real" single coil tone.
    In some enviornments it maybe isn't quite as noiseless as some of the stacked pups, but it is so much better than without it AND better sounding than the stacked singles, it get my vote too!

10. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have a set of Van Zandt True Vintage in a Strat and they are sweet pickups. I haven't tried (read can't afford) Kinman's, but I did a recent build with Suhr FL Standards and those are some of the best sounding single coils I've ever owned.

11. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

If you really like your VanZandts, then the Suhr BPSSC is definitely the way to go. It is VERY quiet. But be aware that you need the middle pickup to be non-rwrp. To use the BPSSC, you can't use a rwrp middle pickup.

12. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

These two Vintage Hot Rods strats are bone stock, with the OEM appointments for each model ('57, '62)...so guitars these don't have the Van Zandts....yet. Yes, and I'm aware about the need for all non-reverse wiring on all 3... but thanks for the reminder!

13. xroads

xroads Member

...it's out. You have to order the entire guitar from Suhr, though,
    as they slice up the body, and put it inside.

IMHO, the Suhr system is the only one making the guitar quiet without compromising tone.

14. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Ah, thought you already had the Van Zandts. Yea, the BPSSC along with some really nice true single coils ain't cheap, but that setup just can't be beat.

15. GDking

GDking Member

Will the noiseless backplate work with a neck/middle singlecoil and a humbucker bridge setup?

16. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I DID have VanZandts in a Strat in the 90's, but that guitar is long gone.

17. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

As I understand it, YES.