Kirk H playing the CRAP out of Greenie ...

Kill 'Em All

i'd almost rather hear anyone else play this song, than to hear Hammett play it like this:

wtf? besides the vocals the only one of them that still sounds "identifiable" is Ulrich, those signature fills are still there. his timing/drumming is such a huge part of these songs. if he wasn't playing i'd think i was hearing an average cover band doing the song.

Twisted_Kites

Silver Supporting Member
I was working Boston Calling this past weekend, directing the video production, and Metallica headlined last night.
They sounded great and Kirk played Greenie on at least 3 songs that I saw.
It was really cool to see him bust it out in person and play it live as it was meant to be.

Which pentatonic box was he using on the KEA and RTL albums? Mind boggling for sure.
The one he always used, and is using in the clip above. Classic "position 1" pentatonic box which he moves, loosely based on the key of the tune. I just went back and listened to KEA start to finish to see if there was something there I wasn't remembering. Nope. Other than one short minor scale run he does in the Four Horsemen solo, it's all that same two or three licks in the position 1 pentatonic box. Bend the G string up into a series of hammer-ons and pulloffs on the barred B and E strings, throw in a couple bends on the B and E strings, and then either descend the box and resolve on the root, or ascend the box and resolve on a high bend up to the root.

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
The one he always used, and is using in the clip above. Classic "position 1" pentatonic box which he moves, loosely based on the key of the tune. I just went back and listened to KEA start to finish to see if there was something there I wasn't remembering. Nope. Other than one short minor scale run he does in the Four Horsemen solo, it's all that same two or three licks in the position 1 pentatonic box. Bend the G string up into a series of hammer-ons and pulloffs on the barred B and E strings, throw in a couple bends on the B and E strings, and then either descend the box and resolve on the root, or ascend the box and resolve on a high bend up to the root.
Guess we'll all have to turn in our fan cards now that we all know they were only pentatonic licks.

Last edited:

Racehorse

Silver Supporting Member

Which KEA did you listen to?

A quick analysis of Jump In The Fire shows only 4 notes in pentatonic position 1 for the entire duration of the first solo. 8 bars, only 4 notes.

I know you're really trying hard to say that KH sucks, but his body of work outweighs any dollar store jabroni with an opinion on TGP so it's really a futile task.

Kill 'Em All

i don't care that he's a "limited" guitarist, but that he can't even play the song right. must think he's too good to play it note for note, wants to do his own thing with it. never works. i'm not sure he could play it "correctly" if he wanted to, even the parts where he's doing that don't sound right.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrX
Grandma and Grandpa still rock!

MetallicaGrandparentsFinal.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom