Kirk hammet Sig/ Jeff Beck sig

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gregorb, Feb 11, 2008.

1. gregorb

gregorb Active Member

Hey,

Does anyone have a Kirk Hammett or Jeff Beck signature model? If so please tell me how you like it.

Hows the action? Does the tremolo knock it out of tune any?

I like to shred, and get killer tone, but I need to decide between these two.

2. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

incredibly different guitars, to say the least.

the Jeff Beck model is on paper definitely not built for shredding considering the massive neck on it. the KH models definitely are (is kirk? ;d).

tone is subjective, but the EMG-81 sets on the Kirk Hammet models are not commonly considered to be a diverse set of pickups - good if you want to tear someone's head off, but pretty meh for clean sounds. conversely, single coils are not particularly great for metal in most cases.

the trem is yet again on completely different levels. kirk uses an original floyd rose, jeff beck uses a "modern" fender tremolo - the former has much better overall tuning stability, but the latter has its own sound and, depending on what you want to get out of it, may have perfectly adequate stability.

in short: you need to be a lot more specific.

3. Loobster

Loobster Member

Could you really get two more different guitars? Well I guess maybe an archtop and the KH-2.

If you like shredding, get the KH-2. The Beck strat would be better for pretty much anything else though. Lovely guitar.

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

well the beck could work, i know alot of guys who shred with single coils only. They usually like the dimarzio singles. I know my teacher Joe Stump plays esp strats with single coils only. He loves them to death. He also only uses either the old school 6 screw or modern 2 post fender style trems, no floyds. He abuses them pretty bad and they stay in tune pretty damn well.

If you got an LSR roller nut or a Graphtech Nut it would stay in tune really well, and then get some pickups of your choice.

The hammet will lend more towards a chunkier meatier lower end due to the wood construction/build of the guitar

5. slegros

slegros Member

I have an 03 JB and its a fantastic guitar. The neck is slightly thinner than my 89 LP. The combination of the LSR and the locking tuners makes it great, the thing never seems to go out of tune. The bridge pickup also has a wicked bite to it. Really really nice, I don't think Id consider any other strat over the JB model.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The Beck would be much more versatile as far as sounds. The necks are way slimmed down for years. Cool guitars. I wish it didn't come with a roller nut though.

7. gregorb

gregorb Active Member

Thanks for the input. Sorry I can't be more specific. I try to play like Beck alot, but I like Hammett's style.

Thanks and Godbless

8. gregorybj

gregorybj Senior Member

Why was this guy banned? He seemed to have some good insight on guitar matters.

9. The Captain

The Captain Member

I've had a KH-2 for a few years. It's a monster. The original FR bridge never goes out of tune. Tone wise, the 81's are great. I believe you can easily swap in a set of 89's which are the splittable version of the 81 for single coil tones.
    Amazing necks !!

10. The Captain

The Captain Member

I think he has changed that himself. Look at me, I'm Mr Flippant, not an award bestowed by the mods.

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The 89 is actually an 85ish pup that splits into an SAish single coil.

The 81TW is the 81 that splits. It is a fairly new pup.

12. The Captain

The Captain Member

Thanks for dat. I can never remember exactly which EMG pup does what, but I thought there was a splittable 81. Tell me, do they swab straight in or is there a pot change required. I recall reading that the active pots are a low imdedance (or whatever the correct term is) unit which makes for a better split sound.
    Of yeah, I forgot to mention that I LOVE my KH-2. It's an amazing guitar.

13. jazzandmetal?

The 89 and 81TW have a connector that is twice the size of the regular ones. The pots would stay the same as long as you have a switch to split the coils otherwise they come with a push/pull when you want to split them.

There are a bunch of new EMGs now. Well....more like variations on the same. You should check out their site if you like them.

ESP makes some great guitars.

14. The Captain

The Captain Member

Cool. I'm shedding gear a present. Yes, I love my ESP Horizon FR-2 as well. Someting for eth OP to look at. Nice SD pups with coil tap, oriinal FR bridge, 24 jumbo frets, ebony fretboard. What's not to love ??

15. PFCG

PFCG Member

why was op banned?

16. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Supporting Member

Because of teh metal guitarz!

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

i fu*king home not, that would be total bs! Bunch of old boys around here dont like the metal!

18. jazzandmetal?

For asking this ridiculous question.:crazyguy

BTW. I love teh metalz!