Kirk Sand electric nylon (classical)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ogre, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Ogre

Ogre Member

Anybody know about these? Anything else out there comparable? In other words, an electric nylon string guitar that really sounds great. Thanks!

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I don't know too much about them...except that when Doyle Dykes plays his it makes me want to quit. :D

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Kirk is brilliant. He's been doing it for a very long time and no one does it better. The down side is that they are expensive and you can expect to waitquite a while. As an alternative, Dave Wendler makes a really clever acoustic electric and I know he's done a nylon string version. They're no the equal of a Sand, but his instruments are incredibly comfortable, VERY reasonably priced and his wait times are very short.

http://www.electrocoustic.com/

4. MOJO

MOJO Member

the Sadowsky one is suppose to be very good (see other thread further down page )

and i'm currently having something similiar built by Mr Heatley

also Don Grosh and Matt Artinger build electric nylon strings...

5. landru64

landru64 Member

before i ever had any sadowsky instruments, i knew both Sand and Sadowsky to have the leading instruments in this format (electric solidbody nylon guitar). i have two sadowsky electric nylon guitars. they're both great. for that type of instrument, they're amazing, and they always elicit the same great responses (great sound, great playability) from my pro player friends. i have spent a bit of time with the kirk sand guitar recently at his shop and it is no less great. fantastic workmanship, great feel, great sound. someday maybe i'll have both! i think kirk offers more customization in terms of neck profiles and nut widths.

6. Den

Den Member

If you're seriously considering one of these (as I have been for a while), you definitely need to check out Paul McGill and his Super Ace. I sat in the front row of a concert just a few months back enjoying Peter White playing his McGill Super Ace and I'm still haunted by how great it sounded.

I've had several conversations with Paul and have heard from others that he's a great guy to work with. Although Kirk Sand is right down the road from me ... and I've visited his shop many times, it's the Super Ace that I would most enjoy. A google search should turn up some interesting info.

7. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Stupid question guess, but how do you amplify nylon strings? Bridge saddle pickup I guess?

Answered my own question...

8. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    And not only did you answer it, you answered it correctly. The Sand guitar I had, had the old Gibson Piezo saddles which sounded real nice but had a bit of residual noise. Kirk now usually uses the RMC saddles which have individual adjustment and sounds really good. My friend Pete Cavano has two of them and they sound awesome, (especially with Pete playing them. He's got that Chet Atkins thing goin on in spades! :)

Dennis

9. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

And if you've really got beans, check out a Buscarino Cabaret.