Kirn Vs Thorn Vs Suhr Vs Tom Anderson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by macmax77, Feb 14, 2015.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

If you were to get a strat like guitar, which one would you get and why?

Pros: ????
    Cons: ????
    If i was to get a guitar and those 4 were the ones on the list, hypothetically, which one would you get and why?

Also:

I've been offered a deal from a forumite of a Thorn Socal RS for one of my amps and i do not know much about the guitar.

The Deal would be a Thorn Socal RS for a Bogner 101b.
    I love my amp, to death, but amps are the same in a way.

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

You might have an easier time selling a Suhr or Anderson because they have better brand recognition, though their resale ain't great on their own (why spend a lot of money buying a used guitar with someone else's specs if you can buy a new one with your own for not much more).

In terms of quality, I'm sure they're all top notch. I only have experience with Suhr and Anderson, but their fit and finish always is immaculate.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of Anderson's new neck joint (I've owned one), but it feels very solid.

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

in reality i only play guitars and never really cared for anything else than setups and pups.

i had a Tom Anderson which i loved.
    Played a few friend's Suhr guitars.

If i was to make a list it would be:

TA-Kirn-Thorn

then

Suhr.

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Different Flavours of the same thing. All delicious. I'd buy whatever one I got the best deal on.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Make sure the specs are the ones you prefer, esp re neck size and profile.
    There's no adjustment for that.

6. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Love them all...for me, it'd be a Thorn.

macmax77 likes this.
  7. Quintus

Quintus Member

I have not tried a Thorn, Kirn or TA, but would love to try them down the line. I've been completely satisfied with the two Suhrs I own. I think the Suhr brand is a bit more well-known and accessible in terms of finding one or buying/selling new or used, and their quality is consistently superb. I'd also recommend you add Grosh to your list. Very underrated, and I think, undervalued guitars on the used market in particular, and the craftsmanship, tone, fretwork, etc. is incredible.

8. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a couple TA's I've been fortunate enough to play a few Suhr's also. Great guitars. My fav is a TA.
    But it's all personal preference

9. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

First of all, I own a Suhr after trying all but the Thorn out. To me the Suhr was impeccable in both sound and workmanship. The TA was also an incredible guitar but more modern sounding than I wanted. The Kirn was also of the same caliber as my Suhr but the neck didn't fit my hand as well. I'm sure Mr. Kirn can build you anything you want. The one I tried was used. I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of them. IMO, they all make better instruments than say Fe***r or Gib**n.

10. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I've owned many Suhrs, and one Anderson. No longer have them. My two recommendations would be Grosh or Melancon--have several of each. I have no experience with Thorn or Kirn, but their reputations are impeccable.

11. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

based on personal experience, Andersons and Suhrs are equally amazingly splendelicious.

Based on reading forums, any of these are amazing, and you probably can't lose with any of them.

If you can't make great music with one of these guitars, assuming the balance of the instrument and shape of the neck and configuration are to your liking/needs, it ain't the instrument, that's for sure.

13. CS'56

CS'56 Member

As others have already posted, you should get a great guitar with any of them. With Kirn, you and talk to the man building your guitar. I think you can do that with Thorn but I'm not sure if you can do that with Suhr or Anderson :dunno

I would lean towards getting a Kirn because of little things like this thread. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-t-types-partscasters/545156-thinking-about-selling-my-ron-kirn.html The man has a 2 month old Kirn and wants to sell it because he is not liking the size of the neck. Kirn posted and said that if he has something slimmer, he will just swap him necks. Like it's NO BIG DEAL :aok

14. big mike

big mike Gold Supporting Member

I own many thorns.
    I've never played a kirn,
    I've played several amdersons and a few suhrs.

All were great guitars. For me, thorn is a cut above. Easily.

dougstrummer likes this.
  15. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I agree, you'll get better service from the smaller guy's.
    All the guitar's listed are equally nice and just a personal preference.
    I would also ad Melancon to your list.

16. RnB

RnB Member

Not on your list, but if I were to get A Strat-like, it would be a Scott Lentz...

> great builder
    > handmade pickups
    > killer lacquer finishes
    > top notch customer svc
    > I like him as a person

17. cardinal

cardinal Member

No idea about Suhr, but I've found that Tom Anderson himself is happy to chat via phone or email.

18. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I know from experience that both are amazingly available.

That said, at least with Anderson, you generally want to talk to Roy just as much as Tom anyway.

They aren't one-man shops, and the folks who work for them are amazing.

19. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Out of the ones on your list the only company or builder I have experience with is Ron Thorn. His team built the most meticulously crafted instrument I've ever owned or played. It's rock solid in every way. The lowest smoothest action I've ever experienced. His customer service is beyond extraordinary. I hope to order another before this year ends

20. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

Win vs. Win vs. Win vs. Win.

No bad choices there. I have several Thorns and a Kirn - all fantastic. A good buddy has a TA which is every bit as good as the Thorns. And the Suhrs I've played are absolutely in the same league.

Get the one that best matches what you want in terms of neck carve, wood choices, pickup configuration, etc. If you're custom-ordering, then you could pick the name out of a hat and wind up with a great choice.