• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Kiss- Do they suck, or not suck?

Do kiss suck?

• Kiss sucks

Votes: 500 56.4%
  • Kiss doesn’t suck

Votes: 387 43.6%

• Total voters

Blurillaz

Depends if we are debating if they have some good albums/songs or are looking at their career as a whole.

As a whole, virtually no classic rock bands pass this test. I mean, only about 12% of the 60+ Stones albums are remotely worthwhile and no one is asking if they suck.

Killed_by_Death

I'm actually more intrigued why a band that was so visually focused decided in the 80s - the decade of the music video, fer crissakes - to ditch the makeup.
It's quite simple really, their egos made them do it, because they got sick & tired of folks claiming they couldn't command a crowd w/o makeup.

Aceman893

rock n roll clowns
That will fill a tent with 20k people anytime and every time they play. People love the circus.

"Suck" is far too simplistic of a term to describe a band of this proportion.

On the whole good/bad scale, they have a minimum of 35 albums (I included only a few compilations). That is a career of Epic proportions period. Most of those are Gold/Platinuum. we are talking a band on the scale of ABBA, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and not a lot of others.

So if you want to rate them overall, consider:
Album Sales
Top 40 appearances
Concert Sales
Merchandise Sales
TV Appearances
Critical Music Evaluation (based on their target goal: Catchy hook laden hard rock)
Recognition Factor
Show rating/experience

Overall - they do not suck in any way shape or form. End of the road - and other shows, sell out any and everywhere they play. The people have spoken with their wallets. Whether the Music, the show, the swag, whatever....people do not think they suck.

Now - if you want to evaluate them critically on their music....well, whatever. You miss the point. And again - based on chart performance, recognition, and general popularity...hard to argue. If you want to put them up against Mozart, well, again, you miss the point.

Just as with any band that big, that long lasting, they absolutely have some horrendous lows. But they also have some thunderous highs. The kind most bands that are "critically" lauded, will never have.

Atomic Punk

They have some great songs, but a butt ton load of filler. You could put all their great songs on 3 or 4 albums.

Whittlez

Silver Supporting Member
I am shocked that the majority votes suck. They have a giant catalog and some of the songs are not that great but not many bands have produced as many kick ass tunes as Kiss. Definitely do not suck.
This is TGP. It’s so utterly unshocking

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
NOT. I had a big thing for Peter Criss when I was just a pup. I started on Drums because of Peter Criss and Bun E Carlos. Then Neil Peart entered my world and my mind was ))))blown(((( . The Band should have been called Criss. (see what I did there? ) ;) Black Diamond and Hard Luck woman are two of my all time favorite songs. AND........if I'm bearing deep dark secrets here......... I love "I was made for loving You". :hide2 . There I said it. I dig that song. Into the 80's .......cant say much about the band. Unmasked KISS was more of a prop then the Make up. But to answer the OP? They do not suck. Except maybe Paul. But I'm not judging........:aok

sears_poncho

That will fill a tent with 20k people anytime and every time they play. People love the circus.

"Suck" is far too simplistic of a term to describe a band of this proportion.

On the whole good/bad scale, they have a minimum of 35 albums (I included only a few compilations). That is a career of Epic proportions period. Most of those are Gold/Platinuum. we are talking a band on the scale of ABBA, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and not a lot of others.

So if you want to rate them overall, consider:
Album Sales
Top 40 appearances
Concert Sales
Merchandise Sales
TV Appearances
Critical Music Evaluation (based on their target goal: Catchy hook laden hard rock)
Recognition Factor
Show rating/experience

Overall - they do not suck in any way shape or form. End of the road - and other shows, sell out any and everywhere they play. The people have spoken with their wallets. Whether the Music, the show, the swag, whatever....people do not think they suck.

Now - if you want to evaluate them critically on their music....well, whatever. You miss the point. And again - based on chart performance, recognition, and general popularity...hard to argue. If you want to put them up against Mozart, well, again, you miss the point.

Just as with any band that big, that long lasting, they absolutely have some horrendous lows. But they also have some thunderous highs. The kind most bands that are "critically" lauded, will never have.
Looks like we’ve got a kiss fan here guys

Kiss sucks and so does Aerosmith

If the pop music of our time has taught me anything it’s that outselling the Beatles does NOT mean you don’t suck

Aceman893

Looks like we’ve got a kiss fan here guys

Kiss sucks and so does Aerosmith

If the pop music of our time has taught me anything it’s that outselling the Beatles does NOT mean you don’t suck
what do you, kind sir, suggest that doesn't suck?

Sacrifice

They've really been up and down the suckage scale over the years, with a definitely downward trend. I think they are a good example of those "you had to be there" bands.

DID they suck? No.
DO they suck? Mostly.

MJR

They suck, but there's a few songs of theirs I kinda dig.

So they do suck, but in a slightly enjoyable way. Yeah, that.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
I wouldn't say they suck, because any product that has sold so well for so long must have some merit.

They just never did anything for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom