KISS Studio!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by chucke99, Feb 20, 2012.

1. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I just bought the first three KISS albums (remastered versions) at Best Buy for $5 each. Today I created a playlist consisting of all the songs on KISS Alive! using the studio tracks in the Alive! order. I'm listening to it right now. Man, what a great compilation of songs! Early KISS will always be one of my favorite bands.

2. dmb70

dmb70 Member

Here here, 74-79 KISS is definitely as good as it gets for me!!!

3. shane88

shane88 Member

yep the 1st 3 albums + alive are definately their best work

4. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

Kiss Army member since I was 7. Listening to early Kiss always improves my mood.

5. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of their early studio stuff actually. Love the Alive! versions but I feel that the studio version of Rock & Roll All Nite is weak without the solo and Deuce sounds a bit anemic to me.

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Agreed. :dude

7. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

I thought Dressed to Kill was the first studio album that sounded like it was professionally produced. The first two always sounded week to me.

8. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I always thought there was a progression of production quality on the first three albums too. But with them all mixed up to the order that's on Alive!, I've found that I don't notice a change. In fact, I thought earlier today that they were remarkably consistent with their sound over those three albums. Something I hadn't expected.

9. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

I agree , the production of the first 3 Kiss albums is really bad. Alive however is a hard rock masterpiece , Eddie Kramer helped put some balls behind those songs

10. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Back in the day, we longed for live albums from all the bands we loved because 99% of the studio albums lacked the raw power of a live performance. One thing I notice about the KISS studio cuts is that there is zero reverb. Very dry performances. But you know what? They're awesome. Here's Deuce:

11. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

KISS is one of the main reasons I play guitar. I can never get enough of them. I even suffered through the late 70's early 80's when they became uncool. I still dug them.
    Anyone watched KISS meets the phanom of the park recently. I love that pile of crap movie.

12. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I love the movie "Runaway" with Gene as the super villain to Tom Selleck's cop. I watched Phantom once, and didn't get even half way into it.