Kit recommendations, Please

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by drano, Nov 22, 2005.

1. drano

drano Member

I'd like to build a couple of amps:

1) Sounds like a hot-rodded 60's Marshall with 6550/KT88

2) Sounds like a Hot Cat

Are there kits out there that can do this or do I have to reverse-engineer these things.

2. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

4. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

If you want the cheapest of parts, then I concur on the weber ktis. Incredible bang for the buck... Lots and lots of Chinese parts.

But, if you got one and put in some better jacks, pots and switches, you would be doing pretty well. Some folks really like the Chinese transformers. So much of the tone of an amp has to do with the trannies, so finding some increible us-made trannies is imperative to me.

5. bob-i

bob-i Member

I don't think the Weber Chinese parts are a big issue. Most of our parts come from Asia anyway, and there's only a few that need replacing, mostly the switches. I've had good luck with Weber pots, transformers, tubes etc.

6. Rich M

Rich M Member

What about Ceria tone?

7. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I didn't care for the pots I got there. They were really loose, no resistance when you turned them. But, man, bang for the buck is HUGE!

Nik at Ceriatone is a great guy. I've bought parts from him on many occasions. His Ceriatone branded electrolytics are rated to 105 C. He stocks some weird values that are hard to find. I've not had one fail on me yet.

Shipping can be high with Ceriatone, but his prices are usually low enough that it's a wash.

Getting back to the original post, you will probably have to reverse engineer. Or, build a Plexi and put in a couple of hot rod mods.

8. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member