Kitchen Knives .. again

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dbeeman, Dec 6, 2016.

1. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I read though all the knive threads and I still don't know

What Chef and paring knives do I get for my son and daughter-in-law. They love to cook together,
    so I want to get them really good knives. Better than Henckel, etc, but something below custom boutiquey

I like the idea of Japanese - but thereare so many choices I am clueless.
    I think they would take care of them -drying, storing properly, honing..

2. DrewH

DrewH Member

I've had the same set of basic Henkels for over 10 years. It's all the knife I'll ever need. I don't get the whole knife sniffing thing.

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

global knives are very well made and fairly reasonably priced. check out the cutlery websites.

MangoMango, VCuomo, epo and 2 others like this.
  4. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Maybe a set of overbuilt folding knives.

spamassassain, amptex, NicDo and 9 others like this.
  5. S1Player

S1Player Member

I got a set of 2 knives at Costco that are easy to use and have held an edge for months after an initial sharpening.

EDIT: Brand on these were Tramontina Santoku style knives. Great deal.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Then you haven't used a nice Japanese knife, my friend.

We have 4 Japanese knives, the chef's knife is a Shun. I forget the names of the others. Have a waterstone and keep'em razor sharp.

Henkels are fine knives, just a different feel is all.

aussie_owner and Outlaw like this.
  7. somecafone

somecafone Member

Wusthof
    My first choice.

Henkel also.

You can get a good starter set with a block and they can add to it as they need.
    Williams Sonoma
    Sur La Table
    Probably Amazon too.

Also, a good cutting board or two, of various sizes is absolutely necessary.
    Boos boards are great and if you wanna go "ornate" they offer a walnut option.
    I think the standard is maple.
    Yeah, guitar woods.
    One good size is about $44, so if there's an in-law or someone who needs a gift for them, it's not a huge expense.

Bucksears and Outlaw like this.
  8. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Now you're just being silly.

I know squat about the kitchen sets. We received a set of Wolfgang Puck knives with blockthat have been fine for about 7 years now. Periodic sharpening and good to go.

9. m@2

m@2 Member

I purchased a Shun set on groupon that I used daily. Super sharp, well made, feel good in the hand

Don P., rhinocaster and derekd like this.
  10. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

ahh... but which SHun model? There are like 10 different. This where I am confused. There are so many different Japanese knives even within a single company's wares.
    Hard to know which, what quality. I am tempted to go mid-high line. Cheapest is seldom a good buy and neither is most expensive

11. davess23

davess23 Member

The America's Test Kitchen folks do a great job of rating chef's knives, and they like a relatively cheap Victorinox (Model 40520) as much as the fancier stuff. I've seen that knife but never used one; however, I have a lot of respect for the Test Kitchen's opinions. Worth checking out.

That said, I have two favorite chef's knives: one is a 35 year old French-made 9.5" blade hollow ground steel Chef Au Ritz sabatier that sharpens up to a razor edge like nothing else out there. Sweet knife and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it requires some TLC to stay at its best. My other knife is a utilitarian stainless steel 8" blade Chinese Wolfgang Puck from a knife set I bought back in 2001. The whole set, with a block, was under $100 despite being nice quality cutlery; slave labor, perhaps? Anyway, the knife has stood up well over the past decade and a half, comparable in balance, ease of sharpening and edge retention with the Henckels my girlfriend uses.

NicDo, YYZ and Outlaw like this.
  12. dB

dB Member

I've been eyeing the Shun Kanso's to replace my Henckels. They get great reviews and aren't nearly as gaudy as the rest of the Shun models. I also have a couple Wusthoffs that I think are superior to my Henckels.

13. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

Don't get caught up on a name. Plenty of great options out there these days. I think everyone (myself included) went through the stages of learning/wanting what we thought was 'chef' material. Shun is occasionally referred to as 'the bose' of the culinary world. I'm not trained though so take it with a grain of salt. I started with a Henckel and moved to Shun, paid a whack for two of them...and never really got along with either. About a year ago I ran into this when I decided to shun my Shuns. Could not be happier! Wonderful knife -- for me...and therein lies the issue: it's really hard to buy a gift knife unless you know what they like in one. What do they like to hold? What do they like to cook? Can they sharpen? etc. You may want to go with a gift certificate so they can go out and get a hands on, I dunno...just my 2cents. Good luck though! Don't spend your shirt, you really don't have to these days.

14. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Global. Excellent knives which are utilitarian. They will be passed down to the grand kids.

VCuomo, amptex and Outlaw like this.
  15. Rick51

Rick51 Member

It's very difficult to buy well for someone's hobby. They may already know what they want. If it was me, I might give them a gift certificate for a high-end kitchen store and let them shop it.

NicDo and apalazzolo like this.
  16. morlll

morlll Member

I have 3 Sabatier knives that are very knice knives for my pocket book. They are about 30 years old.
    My daughter bought a set of 3 Henkel knives that are very sharp and hold a nice edge.

I have one ceramic knife that's super sharp. Not that pricey either.

There is a Japanese knife store here.

Scroll down and take a look. I have been in there and tried them. It's a different animal all together, he looked at and sharpened my Sabatier knives for me. The Japanese knife are sharper than anything I have ever been near, they are amazing.

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ MANMOSU, GYUTO

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ MANMOSU, SANTOKU

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ TURQUOISE

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ MOKUZAÏ, GYUTO

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ MOKUZAÏ, SANTOKU

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ MOKUZAÏ, KIRITSUKE

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ MOKUZAÏ, GYUTO 210

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ ORENJI, KIRITSUKE TANTO

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ ORENJI, KIRITSUKE

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ ORENJI, HAKATA

[​IMG]

TOKU ATSURAÏ ORENJI, NAKIRI

Stu Cats likes this.
  17. LHanson

LHanson Member

I have a block of Henkels, and one Global. All work well.

morlll and Outlaw like this.
  18. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

I use Shun santoku and paring knives daily and I could not be happier with them. They replaced my old Wusthof knives that I used for years because they are sharper and lighter in weight. I would recommend going with a Japanese knife over a German one.

morlll likes this.
  19. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician Supporting Member

Seriously........If you're going to spend 6k on a knife to cut tomatoes and onions....you're ****ed. Never in my live have I been so frustrated in meal prep that have I thought to myself, "this frustration would disappear if I only had some Japanese steel!". You "men" that are bitching about the weight of your knife having an impact on meal prep are a bunch of Nancy bois! Man up a little. Where the **** have the real men gone?

apalazzolo, Seth L, morlll and 3 others like this.
  20. hellbender

hellbender Member

My henckels get sharpened before every use.

highrise likes this.