Kitchen Remodel

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by xStonr, May 28, 2015.

1. xStonr

xStonr Member

I'm in the process of getting some estimates on getting new cabinets and granite counter top. I can't believe how pricey it can get. My kitchen is not very large at 10x10. Unfortunately I'm not able to do any of it on my own. I'm curious about your experiences with doing this.

2. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Kitchens and bathrooms are disproportionately expensive these days, IMO. We had our upstairs bath completely redone last summer. The guy we hired is very good, and we did choose slate flooring. But that said, it is a relatively small bath, and still cost over 20k.
    If we do the kitchen it will likely be 30-40k.

It seems out of balance with the cost of the house, considering the percentage of square footage it takes up.

It's in part because good labor is expensive, and also because the contractor pads the price of the materials.

3. Minte

Minte *except for a few minor scratches* Gold Supporting Member

We did our kitchen about a year ago, and next Tuesday a redo of 2 of the guest bathrooms are starting. Our kitchen project went well, I'll get back to you on the bathrooms. We are already 2 months behind schedule waiting for the tile guys.

4. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I have a second bathroom reno being completed shortly to the tune of $10-$12K. It was a complete demo, so I'm pretty happy with that. Next up is the kitchen. Bracing myself for $30-$40K as mattmcloskey mentioned.

5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Kitchens, bathrooms and closets are the "moneymakers" when it comes time to sell.

6. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Counter tops are astonishingly expensive. A cool kitchen is definitely a selling point and a nice thing to have but before you commit to a plan, try to see what you can do with a more budget approach - Home Depot cabinets, Formica tops, go easy on appliances.

Get yourself your budget bid and get yourself a top shelf bid and decide what you will be happy with.

When we did ours, the price was getting a little outrageous and my wife starting coming up with dumb compromises - let's just keep the old sink, let's just do cheap vinyl floor tile. I struggled because I'd never seen her not want to spend 30% more than the budget on anything and I really didn't want to do it at all if we were going to cut some obvious corners.

We also have a relatively small galley kitchen so there was a theoretical limit on how much cabinetry you could buy but in the end.....we went 30% over the budget on really cool counter tops and a new sink. At least in the end, she was consistent.

She has had a strange aversion to remodeling a small bathroom we have that could really use a gutting. Her theory - its' for poopin' and peein', who cares what it looks like...and after you come out, dear husband, a bad smellin' bathroom is not appealing no matter what it looks like.

7. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

We had the money set aside last year to get the kitchen done. The process of actually trying to find people to give me a bid who would show up when we agreed upon and not throwing out stupid silly bids turned us off of the project completely.

8. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

We did ours a few years ago, and it was $75K. But there was flooring, moving doors, replacing windows, etc. It was a down to the studs remodel.

Got a quote for our little master bedroom $25K! It better come with lifetime hummers for that price!

9. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Finally did our kitchen that I had promised my poor wife for 30 years.......it went great. The cherry Kraft Maid cabinets ran aprox $10,355 after Lowes promotions(we financed these over 5 years). New appliances from PC Richards around $4300(12 months free interest), new 60" x 48" garden window $900, new sliding door $650, 2 new double hung dining room windows $356, floor tile and backsplash tile aprox $1600. Now for the labor, I thought I got a great deal. For $37650 including adds after the contract was signed, the contractor did a total kitchen demolition, gutted the adjoining dining room and living room, reinsulated, all new sheetrock, added high hats in the L/R, replaced all L/R and D/R switches and outlets, all new electric and plumbing in the kitchen, repaired a front entry door damaged in an October 2014 burglary(new door frame, support stringers, rehung door), oh wait, replaced my termite damaged support header beam in the L/R(they had to build a support wall. They had to rebuild the rough opening for the garden window and do new exterior capping and siding. Remove original radiator in L/R and install baseboard.....the scope of the job was huge. Not included in the deal was the $3,600 granite, we had someone. It was worth every penny, happy wife, happy life. This was the best experience I have ever had with a contractor. Folks on Long Island, if you're looking for a reliable and excellent contractor, give Premier Building and Renovations in Wantagh a call.

10. xStonr

xStonr Member

With some of the prices I'm hearing here, 10K for my little kitchen doesn't seem out of line. It just seems so much for such a small space. This does not include new floor (already done) and no appliances.

11. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Most of the cost is materials. Sure good labor gets paid well, but not THAT much, and even a full gut/rebuild shouldn't take a crew very long unless plumbing/electric needs to be moved.

12. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Yes, out here in Silicon Valley, the cost is usually about $250/sq ft. for general construction, and a little more for kitchens/bathrooms.

13. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I'm working on the kitchen remodel now. So far I'm looking at 25k with me doing most of the work except for the tile and electric. As a few folks said, the material isn't cheap

14. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

In the Bay Area near San Francisco? Here you say remodel bathroom or remodel kitchen and they $30-$40K unless you want something really extravagant.

15. Madsen

Madsen Member

watch HDTV remodel shows for a day & you'll get the idea.
    Kitchens tend to range from $15k-$50k depending on if you have to move plumbing/walls around, sq footage & the quality of materials/appliances.

16. dB

dB Member

I run a small design/build firm in Connecticut and for our projects, bathrooms start at 30k and kitchens start around 60k-70k. I'm definitely not the cheapest, but also not the most expensive. Most houses are early 1900's, so we prefer to gut and completely rebuild as necessary, usually moving/updating plumbing, electrical, structural, etc. For me and my subs, everything is precisely executed, or it gets redone. To do a job as close to perfect as possible, I can't imagine charging any less than what I charge.

Shows on HGTV are very misleading about costs and time. It sets up unrealistic expectations for homeowners who have never been through a renovation project. Also, the quality of the work on those shows is usually pretty poor...which is how they can do it fast and cheap.

17. Madsen

Madsen Member

Some seem to be more about salvaging / cleaning up what is currently there on a budget, while others gut & replace with the "dream kitchen" scenario.
    it's kinda funny how every other episode they are "shocked" to find mold, asbestos, termites, structural problems, ect in some of these ancient houses.

18. xStonr

xStonr Member

I feel like I did good. I'll be getting all new wood cabinets, granite countertop and back splash, new sink, new faucet, and hardware. The drop ceiling will be taken out and duct work has to be moved. And that area will be framed out, painted, and high hats installed. After some negotiations we agreed upon $8100.

19. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

$10K for a kitchen is actually quite good, at least for pricing around me.

I did a full demo bathroom remodel, and it was $8k. And I got to buy all the materials myself with no markup.

20. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Just did $10k on a dual vanity, smallish master bath, ouch. I demo'd our kitchen and saved a few bucks that way. It ran about to about 15k now after adding new wood floor and stainless replacements for the cheaper utilitarian appliances that lasted 8 years. I suppose it would be closer to 20k to do it now. The kitchen is average to smaller
    as well. Best wishes and enjoy the weekends picking out stuff.