Kitchen/restroom at work, do people live like this at home?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by BMF Effects, Feb 3, 2015.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Sometimes I go into the kitchen or restroom at work and wonder if people live like this at home as the messes left behind are usually appalling. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that they don't, where is the disconnect? Why is it okay to render these shared public spaces borderline unusable to your co-workers? I truly don't get it.

:facepalm

Okay, rant over.

2. belafonte

belafonte Member

I feel you but you might be shocked with how some people live at home

3. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Yes, and I also piss on the floor around the toilet at home too.

4. jamess

jamess Silver Supporting Member

I am completely with you. I work in a professional office environment and am blown away by how disgusting some people can leave the bathroom. It boggles my mind.

5. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Try going to the restroom at a Nascar race. I know they're drunk, but really?

6. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

my job involves working in many different homes.i am amazed at the number of slobs out there.

7. Lance

Lance Member

I'm also surprised at how bad some peoples' offices can get. Oh, I just may have to go and snap a pic for this thread. Next time I go up to that floor...

8. Route234

Route234 Member

I manage an after hours cleaning crew and have for years now and Im still amazed at the disgusting things men and women do at work. I honestly cant believe the things that people think are acceptable and there is no way people do that kind of thing at home. No question in my mind that some people are just plain mentally ill and it comes to a head when they use the bathrooms and public shared areas like break rooms at work.

9. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

same here... I've seen things I really wish I could unsee.

10. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Isn't that the truth.

Years ago I had a favorite restaurant.
    Went a lot and took employees and clients for business lunches.
    A Mongolian Grill type place.

Had an occasion to enter the owners home one day.

Never went back to the restaurant.

11. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

When I was younger I was a residential floor installer. I was in houses 5 days a week and could tell you things that would make your skin crawl. Kitchens and bathrooms were disgusting! It's a wonder that I never caught anything. Some people are really bad PIGS.

12. madstrat

madstrat Member

I used to do resi hvac and was amazed how people would apologize for the state of their residence....

but didn't seem concerned enough to clean up before I returned:barf

cat lady was beyond comprehension...tribes in the amazon live cleaner

13. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Humans are disgusting.

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

We need pictures! I've always worked for myself (and have a clean house) no I have no idea ...

15. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

Same basic idea as that expressed in the The Tragedy of the Commons. From the above Wiki article:

The TL;DR: People are pigs and will take all they can. The time and effort they could spend cleaning up after themselves or being careful is not time/effort they are generally willing to take as individuals when the benefit of it does not return exclusively to them. Put them in their own kitchens and bathrooms and it becomes clear to them that if they don't clean up after themselves, no one else will. However, in a situation where the cost of their inaction is passed on to a larger group, they will behave like assholes.

16. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

It's the "That's what the janitor gets paid for" mentality.

17. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Years agai I worked for a Real Estate firm as an IT tech (During the housing boom). Once I was amused by a Realtor for a favor: he double booked appointments and was supposed to get some pictures of a house in an upscale neighborhood of our town ($760,000 homes. Average here then was about $320,000). He asked me if I would mind stopping in to the house and taking the pics. He would pay me $200. So far so good.

I get to the house and it's gorgeous outside. Really beautiful and well maintained. I go to the door and knock. A women answers, I tell her what I'm there for, she says cool and invites me in.

Sweet Jesus. The house was a hoarding nightmare. There was **** every where. Food rotting in the living room, books stacked to the ceiling on counters. The bedrooms had **** and clothes stacked everywhere. There was no way anybody could sleep on those beds. The bathroom almost made me puke. There was dog and cat piss and feces everywhere (mind I never once saw an animal).

Oh did I mention? I have OCD. And at that time I hadn't done my cognitive therapy to help deal with it.

Anyways- obviously I cant take any useable pics for the website/listing. But I snap a few cursory shots and quickly excuse myself. I get to the car and quickly call the Realtor and tell him the situation and that I couldn't get any usable shots. He goes quiet and just replys: So I assume you're going to charge me $400 now? I Said damn straight and took off. He paid me the cash. It became the notorious hoarders house in our office.

18. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

So it's not just my coworkers that are slobs?

19. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I think the majority of the posters in this thread have OCD.

In an average office, a bathroom gets used hundreds of times each day. It is inevitable that it's going to get messy, that's why they are cleaned daily (and sometimes more than that).

It's easy to keep your own bathroom clean at home when it's used a handful of times by a person who carefully goes about their business and probably cleans the bathroom after each use.

20. BeBop

BeBop Member

Okay - but is that an excuse to leave your just-used paper towels laying all over the sinks? What, you can't take 5 secs and put it in the waste bin?