KJL Dirty 30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SouthernShred, May 6, 2005.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Ok, I know they are out of business and had a pretty good reputation, but I've never actually heard a KJL Dirty 30...I'm being offered a head as part of a trade and would be interested in any feedback or comparisons you may have about this particular amp...anyone have any clips?

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Member

I wouldn't say they are "completely" out of business... I just talked to Kenny last week and have a Clubowner cab on order with him. He IS still building the amps on a part-time basis, and I'm sure that he would service an amp that needed it. He's a really nice guy who takes pride in his work; not the kind to let his amps stay "sick", if you will.

I like my Dirty 30 - a lot. Pretty versatile amp. Don't know how to describe it. I've heard guys with more amp experience than myself compare them to older Marshalls. I can tell you this - mine sounds good set clean or dirty.

Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my #. Would be glad to discuss it with you. Too bad you're not closer or you would be welcome to take it for a spin.

Gene

3. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Hey, can you give me his email address? I ended up getting the amp in trade and it's not what I've seen referred to as a Dirty 30, but rather a custom ordered thing with the original owner's name on the face plate...On the midcut knob, it says "Pull for 300" and it's a shortbox style head in white tolex...I'd like to chat with him to find out more about this particular amp...it sounds great! I was able to actually break free and go play it yesterday and it compliments my playing and my existing amp collection nicely :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Can you email me his contact info too....I'd like to talk with him about getting a Clubowner 12x10 cabinet.

Thanks,
    Budman

5. 69strat

69strat Member

Is your head single ended? If so, thats a companion model. Way cool. I love mine>

6. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

It sure seems like it...2 6550's in there now...doesn't feel like 30 watts.

7. nsriley

nsriley Member

Awesome looking rig Shannon!!!!! :dude

-Peace
    -Nate

8. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I had a Dirty 30 head/Clubowner's cab for a couple of years. To me it was a LOT like an old Marshall JTM45. It had a great clean to medium overdrive tone. The eq section on the Dirty 30 make it easy to get different flavors. There is a 3 position mid frequency control that lets you dial in the mids to taste. Also, as you increase the mids, it increases the gain. There is a footswitch jack which lets you turn the mids from the setting on the control panel to full on. So, for example, if you dial in the mids to around 10:00-11:00, you get a nice on-the-edge-of-breakup sound, then you hit the footswitch, and the mids go to full on. this gives the tone a ton of punch, and adds gain.

9. 69strat

69strat Member

As far as I know ,single ended amps only have one power tube . If yours has two it couldnt be single ended. Mine takes 6550,6l6, and 6v6 with the flick of the switch.

10. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I just don't remember seeing this configuration on the KJL site when it was up. It only has the Mid Cut pull-pot for 300 range.

11. TheMachine

TheMachine Member

Hmmm.... Appears to be a custom Dirty 30, by your description. I've never seen one like that. Glad you like it. They are great little amps, fo' sho'. Still wondering why they haven't caught on. By the way, he gets about 45-50 "semi-clean" (his words) watts out of them; they are definitely NOT 30 watt amps. Mine has the Class A/AB option in addition to a cathode/fixed bias option. Makes for a really versatile rig.

When I talked with Kenny last he was headed out of town. I'll ask him how you can reach him when he gets back as I should be talking with him then. I'm not sure that his old e-mail address is still good. I will send you guys the contact info when I hear from him.

Gene

12. 69strat

69strat Member

He will customize anything. I love my head. I wanted something that would take different power tubes (ie: one power tube) and not be as thin as say a thd univalve. The bass response is thunderous. Its only 20 watts and has plenty of headroom and grinds like nobodys buissiness. Very voxy and also marshall. Kind of reminds me of my tophat club royale with much more bass. Flick the switch and you have fender 6v6 deluxe. Wayyyyyy Cool !!!!!! Oh, and its the same size as that little beute you have.

13. SLG

SLG Member

I would like Kenny's contact info as well. I have a Dirty 30 head I would like to send to him for the latest updates.

Chuck