Klark Teknik KT-1176 & EQP-KT

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by chlorinemist, Aug 5, 2017.

1. chlorinemist

chlorinemist Member

Anybody heard about these? Reportedly extremely high quality Urei 1176 and Pultec EQ clones for the market-crushing low price of $300 and $425 respectively. Courtesy of Klark Teknik (aka Behringer). Consensus seems to be that they are the real deal (sonically-speaking; the circuits are not the same as originals).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been looking around for a nice upgrade to replace my DBX 160x. I was considering a FEA Labs Opti-FET to save rack space, but $425 for an 1176 is a hard deal to ignore...

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I can't speak for current "Klark Teknik" production... but it *used* to be good stuff.
    The question puzzling me... how can something be the real deal if the circuits are not the same as originals?
    THAT would be condition #1, particularly in any analog technology!

3. chlorinemist

chlorinemist Member

They are the real deal, as in, they are indistinguishable from the originals in blind listening tests. At least according to virtually every user report so far. But their Pultec only has two tubes rather than 5 or 6 like the original. Many people have reported selling their multi-thousand dollar pultec and 1176 recreations after trying the KT clones.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...1118853-new-klark-teknik-1176-compressor.html
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...1120937-klark-teknik-pultec-clone-eqp-kt.html

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Depends on how much you trust other people's ears vs. yours.

5. chlorinemist

chlorinemist Member

Given the reports, and price, seems to me like I'd be a fool not to get one in my studio and try for myself. :) Even if the Pultec is only 90% of the original, it seems hard to imagine it wouldnt be substantially better than any of the $300 EQ pedals that I had been previously considering.

Same with the 1176... anything "close" to an 1176 should definitely be able to provide, at the *very* least, a substantial compressor with many features my DBX 160 is lacking. Probably won't totally replace the DBX, since they are very different + unique comp types, but definitely seems like it ought to be a substantial upgrade to my rig. I'd been looking at 1176-esque pedals like the Origin Cali76 comps, but they go for the same price as KT's full-size, full-blown 1176, complete with input and output transformers. The Cali76 pedals are transformerless (except for the discontinued TX models, which go for double the price of the KT-1176) and consensus seems to be that they exhibit 1176's compression behavior but not it's character due to this omission.

I'll be sure to report back with demos once I pull the trigger on one of them

6. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I haven't seen a rash of Pultecs hitting the market after the price cut on the EQP-KT, but it does handle the same duties well. The design is new, but the inductor-based passive EQ with tube make-up gain principles are the same. The low end EQ curves are spot on for a Pultec design, the additional frequencies on the high band have modified the boost curves a bit in the high mids, so that's different. I played around with the EQP-KTs on a rough mix right after getting them in:

champion ruby and chlorinemist like this.
  7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

Sorry to resurrect...I have an EQP-kt and just ordered a kt-76 yesterday. I’d like to put in some old glass in the eqp..,has anyone done that?
    Any sonic difference?

Does anyone know which size Allen wrench removes the cover on the Eqp?

Thanks!

8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

The EQP takes a T-9 bit to get the case open. Looks very well done inside.

My KT76 arrived and I love it. Have tracked a lot with it already and I am digging it. Much better than the plugs I have used.

chlorinemist likes this.
  9. Kronos147

Kronos147 Member

You are using it balanced and with a recording setup?

10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

Yes,I am tracking with it. Here is the chain:

Various mics or DI into a Black Lion Audio BLA-73 preamp, into the KT76 into the KT eqp into a Roland Octa capture interface to the Laptop using Reaper as my DAW.

11. db9091

db9091 Member

I was warned by a big seller after having issues with clones in this price range that "you get what you pay for". Costs HAVE to be cut somewhere.
    I've personally experienced issues with gear in this price range that used good componants, sounded awesome, but were cheaply assembled in China to save money.
    (The Chinese are quite capable of assembling great quality gear, so it's a company choice to not only find cheaper labor, but use cheap manufacturing practices.)

Things like soldering not being strong or expertly handled, parts are not secured well and can wiggle loose, etc.
    I've recently had a unit (not a Klark) that in shipping had it's 100v capacitor come undone and was rolling around the inside!

I purchased 4 Warm Audio units in the last 5 weeks.
    1) One used WA2A, no problem.
    2) A used WA76 off Reverb that was DOA (the good seller took it back and paid return shipping)
    3) WA76 that had the cap issue above rolling around.
    4) A WA87 arrived with the grill broken off during shipping. (I got a U87ai and the WA87 does NOT sound like a U87 at all, but did sound nice)

To give a general idea of a "high end" piece of gear vs a cheaply made one, I'll demonstrate the U87ai vs the WA87.
    The Neumann has a 3 ply metal mesh grill, electro-welded together and soldered into place on the microphones hardware.
    The WA87 has a 1 mesh grill that is glued into place where the glue can dry, crack, and upon rough treatment release the grill from it's moorings.
    The endings of the mesh are also not cut and dressed as well as the Neumann.

You DO get what you pay for. What these cheaper clones do is offer is great componants and pricepoint. What they lack is robust long-term hardiness.

So if you are an at home hobbyist who takes care of your gear, they may last. I hear the WA76 lights die and I had a VU meter problem on a UA LA610 with only 10 hours of use!
    The good part is, I was told by Warm Audio that they service their units for $75 (you pay shipping there, so prob about $100 total to fix one)

if you're in a studio where gear is going to get used a lot and for many years, I'd buy the pricier gear. Things more in the range of a BAE or Peluso, if not going to the famous gear (Neve, Neumann, UA, etc)

A thing to remember is that Brand gear sells faster and holds more equity. They can even grow in value over time but ONLY if they are built to last.

Coalface1971 and chlorinemist like this.
  12. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

I only buy high quality guitars and amps for the very same reason...you get what you pay for. But my simple financial realities dictate that I use plugs and if I want to have some hardware like preamps, the 76 and the Eqp...I will have to be cost-conscious or I won’t have them. My BLA preamp seems to be very good quality and time will tell on my KT units. I mean, the Neumann u67 that they are reissuing is what, $6-8K? Unless something dramatic happens financially, I will never be able to afford that so I am on the Stam Audio waiting list for their 67 clone.

...and I thought top quality guitars and amps were expensive... :)