Klein Electric

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by llabrynth, Sep 5, 2005.

1. llabrynth

llabrynth Guest

Does anyone know what is happening at Klein Electric Guitars? I ordered a BF summer of 2003 and the guitar was promised by November of the same year. I paid my $1500 deposit and was told by Lorenzo numerous times over the past couple of years, that the guitar was about to be shipped. That was up until about 6 months ago. Now he refuses to return my phone calls or answer my emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

This is similar to what happened with my Klein order.

It is hard to get hold of Lorenzo and it can be frustrating but eventually he will come through, he's good people.

I think Klein has long been at that point where demand has way outgrown the supply and since it's still a one man operation, that leads to problems.
    Then you have to factor real world issues in there too like family stuff, health problems, legal wrangles etc.

I waited a little longer than you have and still got my guitar, did you choose any custom options?
    The thing that really held up my order was the options I chose, (Barden's when they were still in business but having problems and Roland GK circuitry) once I realised that this was holding up the build I cancelled the options and went with a stock model and got my guitar very soon after.

3. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

How can you say Lorenzo is 'good people', anyone I know who has dealt with him thinks he is an asshole and I agree, great guitars but taking someone cash and not even returning calls or emails is not cool, ever, no excuse, he should send back the money. Only in the high end guitar and amp business have I seen people tolerate **** like this, me I would file a complaint and involve the police, it would take him 5 seconds to send you an email.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Because I don't have a black and white view of the world?

Because I actually dealt with him on an order?

Because I visited with him/spent a day hanging out?

I'm not saying he's running his business right, and yes I had to wait for my guitar and the communication left a lot to be desired, but at the end of it all my opinion of him was that he was a good man who is in over his head.

5. Syn

Syn Guest

Lorenzo is a 'Free Spirit' and you WILL wait forever for the guitar- I waited over a year and a half!!!! Sell it after you buy it, like I did and make some $$$ from someone with G.A.S- I don't know why he hasn't sold the company to Ed Roman yet?

6. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

How can you defend him ? you changed your order just to get it sooner you probably paid $4k and it wasnt even what you roiginally wanted, no one should have to wait that long while he has $1500, he could easilt just say it may take for ever and as a result I will not ask for a deposit but be prepared to pay when its ready, instead he is out spending this guys money, it does not take that long to build a guitar sorry he is an asshole for taking this guys money and now not even responding, why do musicians put up with **** like this.

7. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

I had really been considering placing an order. I think you folks have saved me considerable aggravation--thanks for your input!

8. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I really think there is no excuse for that. Buisness is Buisness. If he wanted to be paid after it was built is one thing but thats insane. He must be busy talking orders and deposits to live on so he has no time to actually build guitars.

9. Syn

Syn Guest

This could very well be a nice 'wake-up' call for future purchases! I have been in the industry and have personally seen many un- educated people jump on a product due to it's nice web site with killer pics or it's associated 'vibe' or G.A.S. people have and are not happy with the purchase! There are MANY! Yes MANY sites that are no longer relevant to the stature of the product or company they represent of past but are still up to see!!!!!!!!!!!!- PLEASE take notice!!! Has the web site been updated within 3-6 months? Has the 'Luthier' posted anything on their website, or forum, within the last few months?? Can you call the maker and get updated info?? Times are tough for Luthiers but don't be fooled by a site or product that was 'Killer' a year or more ago! They may have sold. or are selling, or are not producing the product of past they are still trying to hold onto it and trying to get YOU to purchase it NOW!!! Buyer beware!!! I totally endorse small, local Luthiers but know their stature and situation NOW- not of a out-dated web site!!! Can you get the product within a reasonable time?? Is it of the same quality?? Is the Luthier posted actually making the guitar!!! I have been there- Do your research and really know what you are buying or wanting to buy!---Just a friendly public service

10. edwarddavis

I don`t think this is a all that isoltaed case as I have seen this mentioned before with other companies as well. I would love to order the guitar of my dreams someday but after reading some of these posts I will stick to buying their works of art used and just wait a week . I talked to a well known guitar maker who post on this site and asked him how can this happen before I even read this post . He also said it was ridiculous. He did clear up why it took as long as it did ( on a normal basis ) to build a custom guitar but 2 years or even a year is insane and just wrong. But said its not unreasonable to wait 6 months tops due to finishing . I thought that was way to long but I know nothing about it so I will have to take his word. He was a very intelligent person and I feel I would trust his opinion as I have only read great things about their guitars and played one at the time as well and it was a work of art.
    Its one this being a Artist and another running a buisness. I I waited that long I would probably be so mad i would never play the guitar. Waiting that long would suck suck every bit of joy out of it for me. If they are swamped with orders hire a helper or more guys. These people buy things too I am sure , how long are willing to wait after they paid.
    On a positive note. I would fully endorse buying and custom ordering a guitar from a smaller Luthier. Their guitars are hands down worth every penny over any quality massed produced ones I have owned. I am to impatient to wait even a month but if a builder can do it in 6 months and you get exactly what you want thats the way to go. There are some great mass produced guitars out there but after the initail thrill of buying one fades and from looking at the classifieds its quick, thats the big difference. Most small builder guitars are such high quality that they are a pleasure to play for a lifetime.

Also the post above mine brings up excellent buyer beware points , unless you really know the company get some current references from people who also have guitars on order.

Now go buy a great guitar to keep the good guys working.

11. Colt

Colt Member

my roomate is still waiting on his too....he's been thinking about canceling and getting a refund.

12. Colt

Colt Member

hehe, everyone cancel your orders and order a Thorn :)

13. edwarddavis

I heard Thorns are awesome guitars , wish I could try one . They look great and I heard people get them in a reasonable time after they order, what a great idea;)

14. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Received my chambered Klein with Bardens and a fanned fretboard in 1998. Wait time back then? About 10 months.

Two and a half years is a ridiculous wait time.
    These are great guitars, but come on.

I agree that it would take a few minutes to simply respond to an email. There must be big problems over there.

Best of luck.

15. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I feel your pain. Piss poor customer service . F em. I' d move my my $ else where. Speak with your feet! Lot's of builders out there...

16. Neill

Neill Member

I've never played a Klein... just to get that out of the way.

But it would seem to me that there aren't many (any?) luthiers building instruments like Klein's. Pretty unique stuff.

Nonetheless its too bad that pain for gain has to include not only big $$$ but also being out of the loop in this case.

17. emjee

emjee Member

Whats weird is that according to the info I read on BOTH Klein websites (One is in Sonoma, Ca and the other in Linden, Ca)
    both have the same logo, but its seems like two completely different companies, and the guys name on the site is "Steve Klein", so who is this guy lorenzo? The Sonoma website doesnt have any electrics on it only acoustics. If it werent for the logo, you would swear they are two seperate entities. Hmmm...sounds fishy.

18. Unburst

Unburst Member

Not fishy at all.

Steve Klein was Klein guitars, Lorenzo German took over the electric guitar company when Steve decided to concentrate on making high end acoustic guitars.

Klein Guitars and Klein Electric Guitars are two seperate companies.

19. emjee

emjee Member

No, Steve Klein is still "Klein Guitars" at least according to his site.
    He's just having a "Ghost builder" make his electrics and neither website is exactly "Forthcoming" with that info. I mean, whats the point of two different and seperate companies using the same name(sake), and the same logo?
    This is bound to cause confusion to people who want a Klein electric. It would have been much less confusing to potential buyers
    to simply have two seperate manufacturing sites, but one company and one website that shows the products of both. Thats why it seems fishy, at least to me. Its seems as though they are attempting to hide the fact that Klein doesnt have anything to do with building Klein electrics.

20. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

Just a little caveat...my first Thorn took about 10 months to get, my second about the same. My third is a year or so, but that's my fault as I changed some specs which are holding it up a bit. Ron is the nicest and most accessible guy, and an INCREDIBLY gifted luthier with an eye for detail that is just astonishing. Do I like waiting..no. Do I mind waiting...not at all, because these guitars surpass my expectations every time. The difference is that Ron lets you know up front the appproxiamate wait time, so it's not a surprise or shock. My Gretz guitar also took about 10 months, again well worth the wait and Jack let me know up front how long it would be. Buying a custom guitar is a whole different ballgame, but if you're working with the right luthier(s), it will be a remarkable experience. As far as Klein not returning calls or emails...that is unacceptable and inexcusable. Get a refund and go to someone that gives a sh-t about their customer. Just my $.02