Klein Epic 1969 pup Questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FXPedal.com, Apr 24, 2015.

1. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

Anybody know how the Kleins sound overdriven?

I've listened to a number of demos, including some excellent comparisons between the Kleins and Fender CS 1969's, but most were clean and the driven examples were inconclusive.

The reverse wound variant (i.e. lefty for a righty guitar) is intiguing, as well. Right now the stock pups in my '69 RI Strat are the ones to beat.

I'm in the research stage of swapping out the YJM Fury's in a Franken Strat for something more bell-toned. So far the Kleins, reverse and standard, have been the standouts. Any other recommendations?

2. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

3. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

I don't know about the Kleins but typically the single coils that are most loved with overdrive are a little flatter, or more mid-rangey, compared to vintage strat style. I would think that going to real single coils is going to be a pretty big change compared to the YJM pickups, in terms of responsiveness.

I have a "hard rockin" strat with Lollar "special" pickups in the neck and middle, and a Harmonic Design S90 (built like a small p90 with adjustable pole pieces and a bar magnet) in the bridge. It still sounds pretty straty to me, but it definitely sounds great overdriven. I think Fralin has some slightly more mid-rangey strat pickups that get great reviews. I'd also be looking at the bare Knuckle sets.

Good luck!

4. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

5. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

Thanks! I definitely need to research the Bare Knuckles and Fralins.

6. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

I have an AVRI '62 Strat that gets the SRV tone really well, I'm looking more for early 70's Trower and Gilmour.

Thanks for the heads-up though!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  7. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

I have the CS69's as well as the Kleins in two different Strats with basically the same setup, slightly different necks. I prefer the Kleins overall but they're both really close. I tend to play more gain/overdrive than clean. The Kleins are more full/complex overall compared to the CS69's but both are in the same ballpark. The CS69 bridge is brighter, not quite as fat, the neck pups are very comparable. The CS might be more mid-scooped overall.

8. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

Good to know. Is either Klein set reverse?

9. Ztoner

Ztoner Member

the kleins are the best pickups for any strat in the market

10. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Ztoner said it best. I have multiple sets of Kleins, after having others, Fralins, kinman, etc. the list goes on and on. Overall to my ears, Kleins have the most well balanced approach as well as nuances that other pickups don't. I can plug into any amp and they sound amazing. I have only one strat with something else. They are lollar blackfaces which are on par and sometimes better depending on the song and tone.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't know for sure but they list a neck, middle and bridge, which I doubt they'd do if the middle wasn't RWRP.

However, I recommend emailing and asking. They're very good with response times to inquiries.