Klein Strat pickups

Seegs

Wanted to get some feedback from users who have tried the Klein strat pickups...I have a set of the tele pus and love em...

Seems like the 54 set is A3 and the rest are A5s which get slightly hotter as the year increases...

Also I notice that all of the bridge pus are slightly lower in DC resistance than the middle and neck which is different than most of the strat sets I have ever had...usually the bridge is a hotter wind...

Lastly I can get a 56 set for a pretty good price and was wondering if anyone has this set and/or has compared to the other sets available...

Chow,
Seegs

Last edited:

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a set of his Dirty Texans in my HWY 1 and a set of his S-1's in my Am. Std., which are getting replaced by his S-5's sometime this week. All 3 of them have stronger bridges. They are all very warm and vintage sounding. I am replacing the S-1's with the S-5's because the neck pickup is a touch too hot for me. I have yet to try any of the Epic Series. Hopefully, I will get to install the Epic Broadcaster set in my HWY 1 Tele tomorrow. I'm curious to see if they will be as good as the Strat sets or if the Nocaster/Twisted Tele set will be going back in. I doubt it, but you never know...You really can't go too wrong with Klein's. If you don't care for them, they shouldn't be too hard to flip.

K-Line

Vendor
I have used many 56 sets as stock on his website. They balance well, nice bite and clear. I think all you have to do is ask him to wind the bridge a bit hotter if that is what you want. Also be aware that the middle is not RWRP.

DT7

With vintage Strats, the assemblers were given three pups meeting spec (within 10% of 6.0k, IIRC) to put in the guitar. Standard procedure was to put the highest resistance one in the middle, and the lowest resistance one at the bridge. Klein is just following suit in this regard.

theonlychrisj

I've got the Jazzy cats and freaking love them. Went through Fender CS, Tex-specs, and Fralin Blues specs before I found THE tone with the Kleins. I won't be switching any time soon. Love them.

Lewguitar

I have two sets of the Klein 62's. And one set of the Duncan Antiquity Surfers. Both are based on the 1962 Strat pickup which is my favorite year (along with very early 1963) for Strat pickups.

I like the Surfers every bit as much as the Kleins.

The Kleins all measure about 6K. The Duncan Surfers all measure 6.3K - 6.4K and have a slightly stronger tone.

The Kleins are great and the Duncans are great. They're both favorites of mine - love both the Kleins and the Duncan Antiquitys

The Kleins do have the weaker pickup as the bridge pickup.

The Duncan Antiquitys in my Strat are three "neck" pickups (I don't like a RW/RP middle pickup or hot bridge pickup) but I did measure all three and put the strongest pickup in the bridge position and the weakest pickup in the neck position and I prefer that arrangement.

I could not do that when I installed the Kleins as he precuts the black and white wires to length and imprints the back of each pickup with "neck", "middle" and "bridge" imprints.

I don't care for alnico 3 Strat pickups. For me alnico 5 gives me the tone I'm after.

Alnico 3 might work for harmonics and Eric Johnson style chimey tone.

But I'm mostly a blues player and have been for about 45 years. The tone I have in my head is the tone of my '63 Strat and that guitar had alnico 5 pickups.

Alnico 5, IMO, gives a vintage Strat pickup a throatier tone that I prefer.

If you really want the tone of a vintage Strat go with a .1 tone cap and do not use a RW/RP middle pickup or a hot bridge pickup. Makes a big difference and that is a big key to getting an authentic vintage tone.

It's OK to arrange the pickups so that the strongest pickup is the bridge pickup, but all three need to be the same polarity (south up is my preference) and all three need to measure 6K - 6.4K. No hotter.

BTW, I also have a set of Lindy Fralin 6K - 6.3K Vintage Hots. They're more polite sounding. Not as glassy but not as ballsy.

Seegs

Thanks guys...lots of great info...

These are going into a project guitar which will be a pretty light...under 4lbs...ash body and will have a maple with Brazilian rw fingerboard neck.

Callaham block with Raw vintage springs and saddles...

I also prefer a non-rwrp middle pu and a .1 cap...I play blues and RnB through a 64 bassman with 10" golds and a vox style Morgan with a 12" gold...

Chow,
Seegs

Lewguitar

Thanks guys...lots of great info...

These are going into a project guitar which will be a pretty light...under 4lbs...ash body and will have a maple with Brazilian rw fingerboard neck.

Callaham block with Raw vintage springs and saddles...

I also prefer a non-rwrp middle pu and a .1 cap...I play blues and RnB through a 64 bassman with 10" golds and a vox style Morgan with a 12" gold...

Chow,
Seegs
Sounds like a nice guitar. Love those Callaham vibratos and have heard good things about the the Raw Vintage stuff.

One more suggestion: put the tone control for the middle pickup on the bridge pickup instead.

Seegs

Sounds like a nice guitar. Love those Callaham vibratos and have heard good things about the the Raw Vintage stuff.

One more suggestion: put the tone control e the middle pickup on the bridge pickup instead.
Thanks LG...once again I agree...I have tried several wiring schemes to include a no-load tone pot...blend pot and mini switches/push pull pots...50s wiring and moving the middle pu tp to the bridge...

I found that with no tone control loading the middle pu it was brighter and thinner and while that helped lift up the in-between positions it made the middle pu alone almost unusable so I have been connecting the middle and bridge pus to the second tone control...that seems to do the trick for me...

Chow,
Seegs

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
Not the '56 set but I bought a Strat with the 54 Epic set in it a few months ago. I think the pickups sound really good.

Seegs

Very nice Schnook...thx!!

I was looking at the 54s as they have Alnico 3 magnets and I like them a lot in my teles...

IME A3s have this beautiful sag and sponginess and very nice harmonic content...my Klein Nocaster tele pu is A3 and my fave tele bridge pu ever!!

The neck is A5 and this neck pu is unlike any A5 tele neck pu I have ever played in that it is not bright...steely or percussive but rather very warm and expansive...

There is a 56 set that is sitting at a nice price and if it stays where it is at I may go for that set...

Chow,
Seegs

Seegs

I went ahead and grabbed the 56 set for my project guitar and now I just need to get a neck for a Warmoth ash body that I have coming in the next few days...

Chow,
Seegs