Klein Tapped Tele Pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skeeterbuck, Feb 24, 2012.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Looking for opinions on the Klein Tapped Tele Pickup. I'm thinking of putting one in my Esquire and wiring so that in the 1st switch position (towards neck) you have the Esquire wind w/tone control, in the middle position, the hot Tele wind w/tone control and in the 3rd position, the hot Tele straight to the output jack.

Here's a link to the pu on Chris' website.

http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-60-tapped-tele-bridge-esquire-high-output-pickup.aspx

P.S. I know that Chris makes a Tele bridge triple tap pickup, but I would rather not give up the straight to the output jack option.

Thanks!

2. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Many years ago I got kent armstrong to wind me up some tapped tele pick ups, if I remember rightly 8.5k and tapped at 6.5k, they worked really well.

Could you not use some kind of true bypass switching so that you retained the signal integrity for the direct to jack path?

3. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Yea, I'm sure I could, but I would rather just use the stock Esquire switch.

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I put the Klein Tri-State, version 2, in my Esquired Tele. The three positions are different, but subtle. Some amps, and some effects, bring out the differences more than others.

I had Klein build me a tapped Tele pickup that is the equivalent of my full Tri-State and the middle tap of the Tri-State. I mated that with Klein's neck pickup, in my other Tele, which now sports a five-way switch. That is pretty cool, too. The two, bridge-only positions are as subtle as those two positions are on my Esquire, but the two, inbetween positions have more pronounced differences. In retrospect, I should have gone with the full Tri-State and the first tap, for a somewhat less subtle difference, but I still like these pickups, a lot.

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Thanks Jim for the info. I can understand why you would NOT want it not to be too subtle.