Klipsch THX Promedia 2.1 for my modelers?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by socalscott, Mar 5, 2015.

1. socalscott

socalscott Member

Quite frugal, but has anybody found them good, bad?

Modelers used are Mustang Floor and ye ole DG-Stomp.

2. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

dunno what they're like these days, but i have a set from ~10 years ago and don't really like them especially given what they cost.

meant to sound good for games and compressed audio - muted highs, thumpy lows. not accurate by any stretch.

noisy amps.

they're only still around because the mrs likes the thump thump of the sub listening to music...

my vote is get something with an accurate tweeter...you don't need a lot of lows...and cheap 'studio monitors' aren't necessarily the answer....

3. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

I've had 4-5 sets of these and use them with my computers and some TV sets too.

I like them a lot.

I also use them with my Fractal modeler and to mix audio sometimes and love them for the money. They are the cheapest speakers that I have ever mixed on that I thought were not too whack to try a mix.

I always play a reference mix / CD to set the sub levels first. I typically use the Bob Marley track Three Little Birds and get the bass guitar right in the sub. Then check the sub level with a country track and listen for the kick drum. Something from Kenny Chesney, Luke Bryan; something fairly new. The mixing / mastering in Nashville has some of the cleanest drum recordings out there right now.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend those if your budget is tight.

Next up the food chain for me are the Equator D5's.

4. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I have some older Klipsch speakers for PA and they are fantastic. I've never tried these but I'm thinking you might get better use out of a decent pair of studio monitors since they could be used for more than just one purpose. I agree on the Equator D5's - I have a set and they are very good, but might be more than you want to spend. I would personally go for something that would serve a greater utility studio wise but I'm sure these will sound good.

5. tomaburque

tomaburque Member

I used to have a pair of those. Nice, tight bass and crisp highs for a good price. But these are consumer speakers for music and video games with hyped treble and bass. Guitar amp modelers need flat response. For a guitar amp modeler they are gonna sound sizzly on the highs and flabby on the bass. With some aggressive EQ they might work if you can't pop for a decent pair of near-field monitors at this time.