Klon again: great boost but does the overdrive suck?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by phoenix 7, Jan 21, 2006.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

A lot of people seem to say that. I'm almost ready to order one for the full-time buffer and great boost, but I would also need it to add some *very mild* overdrive to my other OD pedal (a HoneyBee). Maybe people who don't like the Klon's OD are not using it into an amp on the edge of breakup (as it should be used)? Does the OD sound great into a semi-cranked amp (just beginning to distort)?

2. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

My Klon was fantastic for clean boost but the gain got really nasal from about 10 o'clock on. I was running it into a '72 blackfaced DR. I know other players just love their Klons but it just didn't do it for me. I ended up selling it. I'd go with a Zvex SHO, Caitlinbread, Burris Boostiest or if you have the bucks a Stephenson Stage Hog.

3. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I'm not big on it's sound into a clean amp. I find that it really shines boosting and adding gain to an already overdriven amplifier. What I love about it is that it really leaves your Guitar---->Amp sound intact all the while kickin' your amp in the nuts when you need it.

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i love my klon, its an early one, #308, and it sounds great. the only thing i dislike about it is that since they have a high value, i always see the $$ that i could have if i sold it!

5. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i wouldn't say the overdrive "sucks" ... but it isn't a typical smooth ts9-ish kind of overdrive. on its own into a clean amp and playing alone (no band) it does sound a bit nasal, particularly if the treble is up too high. however, when you're playing with a band i think the overdrive has a fun thrashy kind of sound that cuts through very well without being harsh. not everyone's cup of tea, but it's there if you like it.

with the gain lower, it still adds a little grit and fattens up other pedals. i'm really not a fan of stacking pedals, but i think the klon mates better than any other pedal i've tried.

6. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

If you get your amp near break up, this pedals overdrive tones completely own any other pedal. But, if your amp is pure clean and you try to get a good overdrive, it will definitely be a bit tougher to manage.

7. drolling

drolling Member

The Klon is still unbeatable at what it does best- giving that extra *push* to an overdriven amp at stage volumes. As an OD pedal to be used at living room levels, it would not be my first choice..

8. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Supporting Member

The Klon is used by many as a boost, but it can be a mild overdrive as well.

As it has been noted on many occasions the Klon works best at higher volumes when your amp is really cooking then the Klon comes into its own!!

The Klon to me is the best pedal for that warm vintage tone, I also would like to try a BJF Honey Bee with it, I'm sure that would be a great combination!!

9. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Wow - thanks for the great, quick replies. Sounds like the Klon may be what I need. Seems like it would work well with my 35 watt Victoria (which begins breaking up at reasonable stage volumes) or my MAZ-18. And I need that good always-on buffer to drive signal through my long pedal chain. Thanks a lot! Interested in any other thoughts people might have about using the Klon for a boost+a little extra grit.

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Phoenix:

The Klon works so well on my 35 watt Clark tweed (Tyger). I also use the Clark Gainster for this. The Gainster works better for mild overdrive. The Klon, as a clean boost, does something so few pedals do. It doesn't take something away in order to give you extra sound. You don't lose bass, or gain, or anything. It just gets bigger. I think amp circuit and speakers have a lot to do with it. The Klon works best for me on clear voiced (not gainy) multiple 10" speaker amps. The Gainster is the clear winner with my BFDR. I don't have a 15" speaker amp, so can't tell you on that one.

11. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Klon again: great boost but does the overdrive suck?
    Yes, it does......however the od sounds good till about 9 or 10 oclock on the gain knob after that....forget about it.....

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

I usually run my Klon with the gain full bore..... I love it.... And I have it stacked with an Expandora.
    [​IMG]

13. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Honestly i liked the od tone I got with my klon.. It was a gritty kinda toothy REAL tone.. not refined at all but cut like a saw through the mix. Kinda like a tweed twin on 12

14. vanguard

vanguard Member

there is a reason this unit is called a PROFESSIONAL overdrive. it's for use in a loud, live, band setting. it's for the gigging guitarist. it's not for living room playing in any way. i thought it sucked unitl i played it with my band. suddenly i could hear every subtle articulation; every single nuance is clear as day. it cuts like a saw, and the drive is voiced perfectly to sing over the band. i have found the klon to be the most versitile pedal around. i push it with a treble booster into a bf twin reverb (85 watts!) and it sounds fantastic. and i'm not just buying into the hype, because i hate the idea of boutique pedals! i feel silly using designer gear, but i made an exception for this. basically, everything this pedal is is made for stage levels with a band. use it in this nich, and it will out perform any other ts i know of.

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I also use it on a maz18, it pushes it well when it starts to come apart, but everything I ever read said that it was for a already driven amp. so don't use a screw driver as a hammer and dis it for not doing the job it was never intended to do:jo the right tool for the job usualy renders the best results:AOK

16. playon

playon Supporting Member

And that's hardly unique, most ODs sound best that way.

17. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

It is a fine boost, but the overdrive never really did it for me and I gigged with it at volume. Takes up a lot of real estate on your board too. It looks really cool on your board though, even if it does take up a lot of space.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yea, but that's just in print. The Klon is NOT Like MOST overdrives at all. In fact, it's as different as any pedal I have (I have over 50 pedals and lots of od's, distortions and boost-type pedals) ... The Klon is more like an amp in its character.. There's some GREAT advice and comments on this thread (I especially liked the one about not using a screwdriver to replace a hammer) , but there's also ones that are just from people who've tried it with only 1 amp , or don't know how to dial it in. It's not the be-all/end all of od's by any means, but it's different than every other one, and the FULL Range of its gain knob is totally useable and almost unbeatable in many different situations ,but of course if you're using the gain on 10 vs 1 ,you need to either be using different amps ,or have them dialed in differently too typically.. It's not a Tube Screamer type pedal at all where you only have 2 settings.

ERIC

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The Klon has the most usable tone knob out of any OD I've ever owned. Clean boost is legendary but tweak the gain & tone and there's many usable colors. All my findings orbit around Blackface types of amps.

20. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've tried quite a few OD and distortions in a number of amps,Marshal, Dr, Fender,Carr and Traynors to name some. But the KLON was best utilized for it's intended purpose, as Mr. Finnegan explained during conversation, To make a quality rig sound superior when already on the brink of breaking up. My best application has been with a Dr.Z Maz 18, simply because it's the only thing I get to turn up to that point on a regular basis. My 800's already acting stupid when it gets up that high and my Vibro King's to loud for it(KLON) too. any place I play, Home, rehearsal or out it seems that all but the lower powered amps can't get tipped into and even these, as most know aren't sheepish by any means, but the raw tone is there for the Centaur to work it's magic and become an effective part of the circuit. the other amps get some other box for dirt and if the KLON sounds right it can be added for icing on the cake. From what I've read around here lately it seems many are stacking $500-$800 worth of ODs for tone.:dude :dude