Klon (again I'm sorry)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stonevibe, Feb 13, 2008.

1. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I just bought another Klon.

I really like my Klon its gold and has no horse I've had it a while and its a really good pedal for me.

I just picked up another one.

It's silver and has a horsey on it and says S 390 on the board, whereas my gold says 3099 on it's board.

I didn't know they made them in Silver. Has anyone seen them like this before? I've seen Gold with a horse and silver without one. But not silver with one.

Any history on these things anywhere?

I just got it so haven't had a chance to really A/B it against my original one yet. Also the components I can see through the gloop look different compared to my old one.

Could any one offer any advice on these two units?

2. BigMuffPI

BigMuffPI Member

A friend of mine has one in silver with horse. Very low serialnumber...

3. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that pedal. You say it's called a "Klon"? :confused:

OK - Bill Finnegan always states that the electronics in the various Klons he's made over the years haven't changed a single bit. Every unit is identical.

4. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I was concerned it might have been a fake.

But I just had a search through the site and saw that there are a few silver / horse owners.

I'm glad its a real one. As now I have a backup for life and it cost me £50.00.

So it was worth the punt.

The components and board are different inside though just subtle differences. Like board numbers and resistor brands from the look of things. Its hard to tell with all that black stuff.

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Wow - where'd you get a Klon for 50 pounds? That would raise some questions for me too.

Let us know how the A/B test goes.

6. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

give ya 200 for it. : D

7. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I've had a run of good luck on the second hand market recently. The Klon was a no brainer. I was just a little unsure of its age / history / fakeness.

I picked up an old 80s Mesa Studio Preamp and an 80s MXR 117 flanger today as well.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my board and work is abit hectic st the moment. So I'm hoping to get my stuff together sometime in March. But I will report my findings ASAP.

8. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

So here they both are.

As you can see my board is in pieces at the moment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just need a week off to go down to rehearse and get it all back in shape again.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

There was a Silver Horse on eBay just the other day...

10. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I've only ever seen gold ones until yesterday. I've obviously seen the new silver ones before as that seems to be the current style at the moment with Klon.

I do like the Klon though as its sooo simple which adds to its usefulness in my setup. I'll just have to go buy one of each type now to complete the set! (THIS IS A JOKE).

Up until I got my first Klon I was using a G2D Cream Tone which I still think is a great pedal and would never sell on, though now it lives in the studio and doesn't gig to often.

I would love to try a King of Tone out someday too. As I've heard glowing reports on them nearly everywhere I look. Just need to get my hands on one and give it a road test before I buy one.

11. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

Would anyone know, does Bill ask for payment upfront or are you just placed on a list.
    Thanks

12. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

Man if I found one for that cheap it would go straight to Ebay. Its like free money!

13. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

Well when I find another one cheap I'll let you all know...

14. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

:dude:dude:dude

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

I got lucky and got a Silver Logo'd Klon S/N 347 off of TGP emporium before the price explosion...it's one of the first ones from 94...apparently they are more coveted than the Gold logo'd ones...I saw one awhile ago go for between 900-1000USD on ebay US to Japan...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. BettyFjord

BettyFjord Member

As a fellow Londoner anytime you find a Klon cheap, and don´t want it, you just let me know. Seriously.

17. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Except if you then still wanted a Klon, the "free money" is gone.

I may just not "get it" but money is money is abstract. IF you want a Klon, and get a great deal like this, it is already "free money" as you gave less of it to get a thing that has more value on the market.

IOr did I just miss the joke?

(Or just from your own viewpoint, a Klon isn't that attractive, so for you it would be a for profit buy)