Klon Centaur-against Doctors orders?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grant Ferstat, May 12, 2006.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

So nice to be back.

Last night after getting to try my Klon for the first time I can finally see what everyone has been talking about. It's a very, very unique pedal.

Yes it is midrangy if the gain is set high. No it doesn't work at bedroom levels. When used in its intended fashion though, this thing is full-fat high cholesterol boosting and overdrive! No it's not transparent in the fashion of an RC Boost when used as a clean boost, nor like a Timmy at low gain overdrive settings but it is very muscular. It seems to make my Teles sing into feedback even when not at high gain settings too. I guess it must be something to do with the way it hits the front end of the amp.

So is the Klon good or bad cholesterol for my guitar sound? Time will tell I guess. I'll let you all know more after the next couple of gigs.

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Can't wait to hear more.... especially since we seem to have similar tastes.... =)

I've been debating a klon for years now....

3. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I will be most interested in further reviews (especially since we seem to have similar tastes.... =)

I've got an Eternity on order and would be most interested in your experiences with the relationship between the Klon and the E, as well as the chemistry/synergy with the whole cocktail - Klon, Timmy, E.

One more far-fetched request, as the Honey Bee has established a secure spot on my board. Could you possibly speculate, based on your past experience with the Bee, the interaction or lack there of with your present chain?
    All the best,
    E

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've sent you a PM re Klon, E, HB, Timmy and combos there of both current, remembered & speculative!

5. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Too much (additional) $$$ and I am absolutely OUTTA ROOM on my pedalboard, so I'm plastering my hands over my ears and repeating a matra of "I can't hear you..."

Got any sound clips?:D

Peace,

jb

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

I had a Klon a few years back and sold it for a Clark Gainster as I didn't like the gain tones at the time and thought that the Gainster would be more versatle...the Gainster is long gone and I don't miss it but I did start to miss the Klon...

I recently reacquired a Klon and have been round the block with it finally sucumbing to its power...

I sold the first one and was agonizing over selling the second one because it has lost every basement shootout against every pedal I have ever put it up against...

one day I started thinking why do I want to sell this pedal (besides the high return my silver logo'd one would bring) as it has been the only pedal that has been on my board for all my gigs...sometimes being used as a clean boost and sometimes as my gainer and always as the buffer that restores my high end lost due to long cable runs when I run an A/B/Y setup...

live the gain tones don't sound honky and overly middy but in my basement they sure do...what they do is sit perfectly in the mix on stage...besides you can somewhat minimize this honkiness by turning the perfectly voiced treble knob up as you increase the gain...whenever I need to jump up a bit in the mix the Klon elevates me in the mix ever so gently without dominating...I have had a few other boosts that when stepped on would completely take over the mix...

in short the Klon has never failed to deliver on stage no matter how I've used it...

lately I have experiementing with running my Klon first in my chain as a buffer and tone enhancer and eq'ing my rig around the Klon always being on...I like this a lot but miss its other functions as well so I'm really torn on how to use it...

I also found that my acoustic plugged into my Klon and directly in the PA added just the right sparkle and punch that I was missing from my acoustic tones...

sure its big and expensive but it is the pedal that I have chosen to build my sound around...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. Grant Ferstat

The more I listen, the more I think what he says may be true.

BTW, although it may be big the Klon casing is ergonomically very well thought out with its sloping surface, big knobs you can turn with your foot, and the on/off button located where you'd never accidentally hit those knobs. It's also very robust and I think the battery retainer is a real quality touch.

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have tried it out and I found it to work really well even with SOLID STATE amps, which really impressed me. It has a nice buffer but I never really got used to it not being true bypass. I also felt the Klon really kicked when using a strat otherwise I found other pedals to deliver better with humbuckers

9. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I just got my Klon a couple weeks ago, and I love it. Everything that's been said about what this pedal does in an actual band setting is true, IMO. What might sound like "too much" of something on its own seems to sit perfectly in the mix when playing in a band setting and having other frequenies to compete with. Since I use it as an OD and not as a clean boost, I put it right after my wah and phase tone. I love it as an OD, but it's gotta be running into an amp that's at least on the verge of break-up...or it doesn't work as I'd want it to. But Bill Finnegan tells you that up front. I wouldn't recommend it for the bedroom player at all. But if you're using it in a band setting, I've never heard anything better FOR WHAT I DO. YMMV.

FWIW,

Doc :)