Klon Centaur Help, Please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DocRock, Feb 20, 2006.

1. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Okay, all the hype aside, I have one question:

Is there anybody out there who has intimate knowledge of the Klon Centaur, i.e., stage use, band use, etc. "Real world" gigging situations with this pedal.

I try not to fall for a lot of hype, but I'm getting one, and want to know, realistically, what I'm in store for. I tend to take a lot of the HC reviews with a grain of salt.

I was hoping somebody on here would be kind enough to tell me what, exactly, will the Centaur do? What will it NOT do?

Thanks....

Doc :)

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Doc -

My KLON has been on my main touring board for almost 8 years and has seen stages all over the states ( from lil bars to 40,000 seaters ).

In my book - and ESPECIALLY w/ a tele - as a very low gain / boost, this thing can do NO WRONG. I dont particularly like it w/ the gain much more than 1/3 up and typically use it much lower than that. But, if you have a nice tube amp that can be pushed (even a little) , the Klon gives you a girth and "bigness" that NOTHING else has been able to match

And trust me , I've tried to replace it. It's big and expensive. There has been LOTS of alternatives posted here on TGP that are "just as good - or better" but they have never done it for me like the KLON. If you play single coils and can afford a KLON - do it !!

As far as Humbuckers - it also works fine - but perhaps not QUITE as magic. That extra girth can sometimes sound "too thick" - especially w/ hotter pickups. With vintage winds, the Klon is great. I saw a friend playing the other night. He was playing a '64 335 into a Klon into a Juke 2-10 I sold him and it sounded great ( and he had the Klon's gain above 1/2 !! )

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Here are a lot of thoughts too.

I used mine the same way danocaster says. Tele + klon = holy COW!!

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The Centaur will fatten up your sound, give it more girth. the gain knob can add noise if pushed to the extreme. It can add allot of volume. It will not make you a better player and if the signal is awful going into it it will be MORE AWFUL coming out. It's pretty transparent when you adjust it correctly and the buffer works well in that it is transparent and helps the signal follow the extended route to the amp, But, it may adversely effect pedals down stream that don't want a low imp. signal, or, a close connection with the guitar (fuzzes and the like) Ive had mine for nearly 2 yrs and it does what I ask it to do well. You can do a search for my, and many other's comments of this subject and don't be surprised if your no further ahead on the answer you seek.It was designed to make an already hurt amp bleed,IMO.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm with Danocaster. It sure works with teles (what doesn't?). Not with every amp. I've had the best luck with 6L6 amps, no luck with 6v6, jury's still out on EL84. With the Clark Tyger, it sounds so good I almost always use it. Have gigged with mine several times, taken it out to a variety of blues jams, different amps and stages. I run it with little or no gain, treble just to the right of midpoint, same with level. Really big, solid sound. A keeper.

6. DocRock

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INPUT, EVERYBODY!!! Keep 'em coming!

Doc

7. rockster12

rockster12 Member

Well here is my 2 cents,
    I tried a Klon a couple of years ago in a music store. On 2 seperate occasions I was kinda wondering what the big deal was so I didn't buy. About 6 months ago, I played through someone else's rig at a jam. It was a 20 watt marshall, my les paul and the klon. Now the marshall/LP sounded good on it's own but when the Klon was kicked in, it was magical. So I bought one based on that. I have now had mine for 2 months and I play it with my Strat/ Carr slant 6 (6v6) and it is fabulous. I used to run the slant with just the clean channel. But with the klon it makes the amps dirty channel come alive. It also does the same with my 50 watt marshall 4 holer and my old super reverb. It is without a doubt, the most consistent sounding dirt/ boost box I have ever used. I have been playing professionally for over 30 years and I have used a lot of gear but this pedal just makes any good combination sound better. Even if you are unable to drive your amp to breakup, a Klon, pushing another dirt box of choice is the way to go. It basically enhances the best features of what ever you like with the dirt box you like the most. It brings out an un believeable amount of harmonics. At least this is what I hear. I have come close with other products but none have produced the sounds I get from the Klon. I run mine with the gain at about 10:00, the Treble at noon and the level at around 2:00. The other pedals that I have tried to achieve what the klon does is, AM modded ts9, Time Machine boost, and super hard on, and the Banzai Cold Fusion. While all were good, the klon just did it better for me.

8. jtw

jtw Member

Just a word from an EL84 guy here...I use mine to push my Matchless HC30, and it's absolutely fantastic. You originally asked about band situations, etc. My impression is that the Klon is definitely a one (possibly two) trick pony, but man, what a trick. I use mine in a clean boost setting, gain off (up to around 9 o'clock at the most) tone at 12, and the volume dimed. The Klon really shines in a band setting I think. IMO, it sounds best when you can open up your amp a bit and then slam it with the Klon. I get sort of ho-hum tone out of it at lower volumes (again, IMO), but cranked up into a pushed tube amp...it's the bizness.

9. DocRock

So it seems that the Klon, while marketed/sold as an "overdrive" does best as a clean boost. Does it outdo pedals that are marketed/sold as actually being a "clean boost?"

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

The Klon is untouchable as a clean boost. I still really don't care for the OD, but the fatness it adds to a breaking up Tweed amp is certainly magical.

11. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

How does the klon compare to a TIM. Ive never tried a klon but i do have a TIM. The Tim is the best clean boost low overdrive ive ever had. What kind of pedal is the klon - transister? - o-amp? I would like to hear a comparison on these two. ~ Mike

12. vanguard

vanguard Member

the klon has been my main od/boost pedal for over a year now. when using it as an od, i always piggy back it with another quality od as the klon's od is useless on its own unless you can turn your amp up to at least 6 (i only use vintage fenders). it sounds out of this world before or after a good treble booster for distorted tones. lately, i've been getting my dirt tones from a ge fuzz, and using the klon for boosted clean tones; like others have said, the girth, fattness, and sparkle it produces is inimitable. i run it with another klon-ish pedal, the am juicer, and together the hot clean tone they produce is ridiculous. it just fills the whole room, and sounds warm and buttery. the klon is the only pedal i still have to experiment with, the variations are limitless.

13. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I just got my Klon about 2 weeks ago, it has seen one rehearsal and one gig. I have only used it with my Top Hat Club Royale so far but it is one amazing pedal for sure.

I have heard it referred to as an amp interface before and that is certainly my impression. It simply does not sound like an overdrive pedal.
    I used my R4 and the TH about 1/2 up, nice sound, slightly crunchy.
    I set the Klon gain at 9 o'clock and gave it a bit of a boost, maybe 1 o'clock.

At those settings the best description I can offer is it made the Top Hat sound like it had an additional channel. None of the amps character was altered, it just sounded bigger and badder. With a P-90 bridge pup, it was rude and snotty, perfect in my opinion.

This pedal is designed for band and stage use, Bill makes it clear that the amp should be at its sweet spot or thereabouts for it to shine. You will NOT be disappointed. If you are call me, I might buy it.

Steve..

14. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

Any idea how the Klon behave with an OCD?
    I'm waiting for the later, new version OCD & would like to use both pedals as my main boost/od source.
    Thanks.

15. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

I'm also interested to hear comparisons between the Klon and the TIM by anyone who has/had both. I've got both on order having had a Timmy.

Does anyone use them together? What applications and order?

16. DocRock

Yeah, that will be interesting. I have an OCD, but hadn't thought of what implications there could be in putting them on top of each other. Hmmm, interesting...I'll post once I get my Klon, which probably won't be till April. :(

And here's to everyone who took the time to post opinions for this, my first TGP thread!!! :BEER

Doc

17. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

It was my first post here! :D
    Congrats to you...

18. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I run the Klon after the OCD. I love it. I find the OCD a little mid scooped, a good 70s 80s rock rhythmn tone, kick the Klon in it adds the perfect mids to help cut through the mix for solo work.

I'll never sell my Klon not even for $1,000,000 dollars. Bwah hah hah.

19. DocRock

Yeah, I agree. I think the OCD is probably one of the best pedals I've ever heard...with the one complaint that it is a bit mid-scooped, which is great for that JCM800-type tone. But I'm a big Rich Robinson/Black Crowes freak, and I really dig his tones. I was looking for something that would be a little more old school and organic in that regard, something that would really take a good tube amp and open it up with rich, blossoming tone. It seems like the Klon will fit the bill nicely.

The idea of adding it to the OCD is also very appealing to me, because I also like the OCD by itself more for rhythm tones than for lead tones. It sounds like your Klon filled the void left by the OCD's inherent design. If it does the same for me, I'll be thrilled!!! :dude

Thanks for the post....

Doc

20. playon

playon Supporting Member

I've never tried a Klon, but would like to. But everything people are saying about the Klon, is exactly what I'd say about my Analog Man KOT. With a slightly cranked amp, the KOT doesn't sound like a pedal, it sounds like it's part of the amp. I use mine on fairly low gain settings, and it seems to sound great with ever amp and guitar that I have.