KLON Centaur .. is it worth the $$$ ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BobboVisMe, Sep 27, 2006.

1. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

Hey All ...

Thinking of adding a Klon Centaur to my rig .. Was wondering if anyone out there owns one and how they like it ??
    Currently playing an 05 Gibson 58 reissue into a 50 watt Marshall JCM 800 and pushing it with a Keeley modded ts -9 tubescreamer .......

2. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

here we go again!...
    you might try "klon" in the search button...
    but I don't mind reading all about it one more time....

3. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

its worth 2x that......
    [​IMG]

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Only you can answer that question. Sure, I'd love to have a Klon to try out at some point. However, determining whether the $350 or however much it costs to get on the list is "worth it" is an entirely subjective call with a vast amount of variables that make it near impossible for anyone who has to scratch their head and weigh the pros/cons of the investment to accept a yes or no answer.

For instance, a Klon will sound different in each rig, $350 means two weeks of savings for some people and a haircut and lunch to others, some people use the Klon for their livelihood while others use it in their basement for fun, a BD-2 sounds the same to at least 4 people (tone-deaf as they may be, they still count), some people use it "wrong," as was pointed out in an earlier thread, as the Klon apparently has a manual with instructions for how to get the most out of it, so you have some people who use it to boost a cranked amp, some people that just use it for overdrive on a clean amp and every point in between- and each person's experiences and subsequent impressions about the Klon (or any piece of gear) are shaped to the Nth degree.... Factor all of this together and you will not even be able to deduce a consistent set of circumstances that lead to someone finding the Klon "worth the $$$".... you're still the one who has to decide! Please take note that none of these factors are me saying "it is a good or bad pedal," which is not really the issue since clearly many people like it and choose it over pedals that cost 1/3 the price. I get into the headgames of gear sometimes, and my imagination's idea of a $350 badass pedal doesn't just fade away, it stays there, lurking, waiting for the chance to be validated and either relish in the spoils of such a purchase or slithers off into nothingness if I'm disappointed as if it were, well, just a figment of my imagination...

BTW, my GAS-ridden devil's advocate would like to point out that, from a strict economics standpoint, yes the Klon is worth the $$$, since worth is determined by how much someone will pay for something. So, compared to those $800 Klons on ebay, $350 is a freakin' sweat deal!

If you consider yourself prepared to turn your amp up a bit as the manual apparently states, enjoy a bit of extra midrange and don't mind dropping $0.35K on a piece of equipment (always exhilarating!), then check it out. If it's not for you, maybe you'll sell it on ebay and make out like you just won the lottery...

6. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

7. James Knox

James Knox Member

8. pepperco

pepperco Member

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

My Pedalworx cactus crunch works fine for me in a "klonish" application, a lot less $$$!!

10. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

I think the Klon is worth it. I see pedals as tools, which in the end, is supposed to help you make music. If you can't afford one but want one, save and buy it. If you have the cash then great. But the value of the pedal has nothing to do with its job. In the end what pedal you use and how much it costs is beside the point, the music is the point. So if the Klon will help you make better music then go for it. As far as whether you think the Klon will work with your rig, why not talk to the Bill Finnegan? If he feels that the Klon can't give you what you are looking for then he won't sell you one. I think from what you use for gear that the Klon will work. Bill's number is 617-666-1551. Check out the website for any other questions. Peace out.

http://www.klon-siberia.com/

Arun

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Only YOUR ears can answer that question ;).

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

We have been through this quite a few times but...

I spent a lot of money on pedals trying to get something that would do a clean boost-low gain overdrive while being FAT, clear and tight in the lower registers. The Klon does this better than the many other things that I tried for that application.

For a more uncoloured low gain overdrive I prefer my TIM/Timmy pedals and for a more subtle form of boosting I prefer my RC Booster but the Klon is unique.

The Klon is not a "bargain" like Paul C's pedals but then again neither are a lot of boutique pedals. I wouldn't consider that the Klon is that expensive compared to many and for me it was definitely worth it.

13. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

any difference between the silver and the gold Greg ?

14. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Forge the Klons, I want the piano inspired bedspread! -j

15. bduguay

bduguay Member

You don't suppose he sleeps with his Klo........?
    nevermind.

16. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

can someone tell me the dimensions of the klon...
    in inches, please...:)

17. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

5 - 5 1/8 by 6 1/2 appx......

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If you want a no-low-medium gain overdrive to use a as a fat boost, check out a Crowther Hotcake. I've used a standard one for years and then switched to the Bluesberry version on a whim, it's a tiny bit smoother, but really close, I love both.

19. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Yea...what Steve said!

Johnny

20. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

the hotcake is indeed awesome...i own one of them as well....
    ....but doesn't have the same depth....body....gigantic girth to the tone....
    .....nor is it as versatile....on different types of amps.

there is a difference between the two.
    .color. horsey-man logo. age.
    gold is s# 078

i have AB'd them (of course)...

there is a tonal difference. my guess is that it is due to the analog nature of the parts. they can ultimately be dialed to identical sounds.....

but there is that certain mojo to the gold one......