Klon Centaur vs Tim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny q, Oct 19, 2005.

1. johnny q

johnny q Member

Sounds like a bad science fiction movie.......

Ok - this is sure to spark a heated debate, but what the hell.

I just borrowed a Klon Centaur from a freind and fell in love with the damn thing. Before forking over the mega bucks, I figured I would get some opinions as to how the Klon compares to the much cheaper and universally loved Tim pedal.

JQ

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

You got that right! They're Different man. The Tim is a very clear boost with gritty OD tones available, getting into lead capabilities while the Klon is master of FATness. It does drive tones too, but there's the mid hump. And no true bypass. The Tim can never ger as fat as the Klon (nothing I have heard can) but both do a remarkable boost. And when it comes to boost, there is no consensus. Some want uncolored, some want a hint of grit, some want body.... The price is very different of course. You know about each, so the only way to know for sure is to try both. You tried the Klon, if you think it's worth the $$, it is! The Tim is ridiculously affordable, so there's no harm in owning both of the best pedals America has to offer! I've had both (and the Timmy too). You can't go wrong (unless you're trying to pay $600 for a Klon on ebay). I NEVER thought I'd pay as much as the Klon way back in 98, but now I own the Menatone Kar Krash. And I don't regret it...

3. johnny q

johnny q Member

I didnt know that!! No true bypass?? Strike one.....

JQ

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

Don't let the lack of TB throw you off...the buffer in the Klon is a very good one and one of the reasons I have it on my board...

it restores the highs lost when I have long cable runs due to my passive A/B/Y amp/channel switcher...

I use the Klon and a Timmy on the same board and they sound great together as well as seperatly...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - don't get sucked into the 'true-bypass is best' thing. I've got nothing but T/B pedals on my board right now and am definitely experiencing a loss of high-end - you'll need at least one buffered pedal in your chain if you're running more than a few effects...

6. johnny q

johnny q Member

Ok - Klon's back in the running:)

Oddly enough, I didnt like the Klon with my Germino Lead 55, but absolutely LOVED it with my Marshall JCM 800 2204. I guess the JCM800 benefitted from the fatness the Klon adds, and the front end slam. The Germino needs no help whatsoever with fatness....

I have seen posts though that mention the Tim sounding exceptionally good with the Germino Lead 55...

JQ

7. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

As for my preference, I beg to differ on the T/B issue...but that's just me. Any T/B pedal board setup needs a boost (either at the beginning or end; I prefer a Fulltone Fat Boost on the end) to retain a nice signal. No need to throw a Klon in the middle of it just for the sake of having a Klon or a buffer (unless you're using it as a boost). I'm running both at Tim and a Klon, but the Klon will be the first to go should the need arise... I love it when it is engaged, but I loathe it when it isn't. If only the Klon's buffer was as good as a Pete Cornish unit... The high mid hump and the buffer bypass are two strikes against Klon; but the engaged overdrive sound makes it a worthy unit if you can deal with the cons.

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Anyone know what the retail, direct from Bill Finnegan price of a Klon is these days? Still $279?

9. johnny q

johnny q Member

I think (operative word) it was $349?

JQ

10. Frethog

Frethog Member

$346 includes shipping.

11. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I've owned both for quite awhile. To me the Klon is the hands down winner above all else for use with a Marshall style amp to send it from grinding rhythms to Warren Haynes style lead. The Tim ( or Timmy ) is superb at making a clean blackface type amp sound like it is overdriven. I agree with the other posters that the Klon is more "middy" and the Tim is more clear and open sounding.

Get both.

:D

Dan

12. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

I have both the Klon & Timmy.
    Love 'em both for reasons already stated.
    Klon = fatness and sprakle.
    Timmy = gritty OD
    They're keepers!

13. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

The Klon is a fat, sparkly bitch.

BUT, you can't pay me enough money to deal with Bill Finnegan and his MASSIVE ARROGANCE again. I'm surprised that man can go through normal sized doors. I've never talked to a more pretentious, arrogant man in my entire life.

Or in lay-man's terms: He seems to think his $hit don't stink.

14. johnny q

johnny q Member

Man - what is it about these techie types that makes them such a-holes?? I never dealt with Bill, so I dont want to trash his reputation falsely, but I have dealt with tons of amp and guitar techs locally, and many of them have this annoying "know it all" attitude and insist on talking to you like they are doing YOU a favor as you fork over your cash!

JQ

:mad: :mad:

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I loved talking to Bill myself.. He was very nice..

16. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone bash Bill. You must have caught him on an off day because normally he's great.

I haven both and they are slightly different animals. No pedal I've ever owned or tried (which is every pedal just about ;-) ) punches the front of an amp with quite the fat mid kick that a Klon does. The Tim gives a less mid-emphasis drive. I like the Klon for hitting an amp with a pre-amp section better than any pedal. The Tim really sounds natural with non-mastervolume amps.
    Boy, it's a toss-up! Own both and see which one you end up using more. You'll always get what you paid for out of them.

17. johnny q

johnny q Member

Yep - that would explain why I didnt like the Klon w/ my Germino Lead 55, but absolutely loved it with my master volume Marshall.

If the Tim is better w/ non master volume amps, then that sounds like the pedal I want to use w/ the Germino.

So - my initial question is answered....I need them both! :)

Now - how does one go about ordering the Tim and whats the lead time up to these days??

JQ

18. Frethog

Frethog Member

Seemed like a nice fella to me, but I do find his business practices eccentric. He said he wouldn't send to private residences 'cause Fed-ex screws up too often. Why is Fed-ex LESS likely to screw up shipping to a business?

I guess he doesn't want guys to be dissapointed with his product, so he grills you about your gear before he'll sell you a Centaur. Apparently, I passed the quiz...

I imagine that is the attitude that Bluesbreaker is refferring to. But it wasn't overblown belligerence.

19. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I talked to him a couple of times and he was friendly, intelligent, and helpful.

Dan

20. johnny q

johnny q Member

Uh............ thats weird, only ships to businesses? Ok - my house just became "Johnny Q's Vitamin and Health Shop." Yeah....

And about being grilled on your equipment, perhaps this is a genuine well-intentioned way to make sure folks are not forking over a premium with false expectations, but (for example) if I told him I wanted to buy a Klon because I heard it will make me sound and look like 1980's era Jake E Lee - would he really refuse to sell to me??:)

JQ