Klon clones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Franklin, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

I saw it mentioned in the recent Klon thread that there are Klons being cloned, is that true?

I've never seen one, or any talk of one....

2. Stephen Davis

Stephen Davis Member

Maxon OD820 is close, same idea, but not exactly the same.

Rabbit

3. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

The Zoom PD-05 Power Driver is supposedly the poor man's Klon.

4. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I see the hotcake listed a few times in the other klon thread. I have not tried either so are these boxes similar. FYI, I’m a Rat/Tubescreamer guy looking to expand a bit. Thanks, Lou

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

From what I hear about the Klon, I'd say the hotcake is a whole different thing. I haven't owned a Klon but have owned a couple of the Hotcake pedals. The Hotcake is a fairly typical overdrive pedal in some ways but they have their own voice and are not a clone of anything else.

The Klon uses a higher voltage internally so it has more headroom, which might be one of the things people like about it so much.

There are a few guys doing this now, the Keeley Katana & the Barber Launch pad both work that way, they run on 9V supplies but internally the components are running at a higher voltage level. Most pedals, like the Hotcake, run on 9v internally.

6. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The Burriss Boostier is the closest I've found, but only when compared to a Klon as a clean boost. Even then, I think the Burriss comes close, but isn't quite there.

7. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Okay, well I'll comment:

I've owned a Klon, had it for about a year or more. Great clean boost, but too spendy, everytime I looked at it, I saw $350 sitting on my pedal board, and the harsh OD tone, even with the amp cranked, like Bill suggests.

I have had a Hotcake for like 2 years, its really great probably my current fave OD. Nothing like the Klon IMHO. The Hotcake has a great OD tone, and is very versatile as an OD or distortion, but is not the best at clean boost, like the Klon.

I also owned a Maxon OD820, very, very close to the Klon, but just voiced a "little" brighter than the Klon. It also has a better OD tone than the Klon, and is about $150 cheaper. But DOES NOT do exactly what the Klon did.

I currently have a Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso that is great as a "fat boost", that covers the Klon fat boost thing, but that is all the pedal does. I find that this pedal gives me the same fat boosted sound that the Klon was giving me. But its only 1 knob and cost 1/3 as much as the Klon so it couldn't be "as good";)

I've also tried a Banzai Cold Fusion, which I found to be the closest sounding to a Klon for the clean boost thing, but again its OD tone is better than the Klon. Again this didn't do EXACTLY what the Klon did but it was the closest, just not quite as fat.

For a "fatter" boost than the Klon, I would recommend the Fulltone Fat Boost, which is a great pedal, and very flexible, IMHO. Plus Mike Fuller is a great guy, with great products.

The biggest reason I don't like the Klon is simple: I just don't care for Bill.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I've never tried a Klon, but I still dont think that the Hot Cake is a clone of it.. I just mentioned in another thread that when I first got into boutique pedals those two were the first I checked out for the od department and Hot Cake won 'cause it was way cheaper and in many reviews it said that they do the same thing to some extent and some people seemed to prefer the Cake. Still I'd like to try out the Klon, it's been aroun for so long, it must be good at least in some way.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Just curious, which amp{s} did you experience the harsh OD tones with?

I dig the Klon but recently discovered the joys of a Hotcake {blueberry variety} and I'm blown away by how ampish it sounds. It colors {hence EFFECTS} the sound quite a bit but in a pseudo transparent way... It's like playing dress up.

Anyway, I think the Klon can go from clean boost to tubescreamer to supro-esque through a medium size blackface style amp.

There are some serious all-star drive pedals out there {Klon, Hotcake, Eternity,etc} showing up at various prices and shining at certain things. Some may look at the Klon as a cash cow but I see a hall of famer. It's one of a few pedals that can be flipped for more than the purchased price in less than a day. Hell, usually less than five minutes if the price isn't stupid. Of course, that doesn't necessarily indicate that it will suit everybody but it's a great incentive to take one for a ride.

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Hotcake and the Klon are 2 different sounds. I believe the Hotcake was around way before th Klon came to be.

11. bluesbreaker59

Ask and ye shall receive:

Marshall 50 watt Plexi reissue
    Victoria Double Deluxe
    1966 Super Reverb
    1961 Blonde Bassman
    1959 Bassman LTD
    Ollinger 10 watt
    Ollinger 20 watt
    Victoria Bassman
    Victoria Pro
    1962 Deluxe
    1962 Princeton
    JTM45 RI (with all the vintage mods)

I LOVE the boosted tone, but HATE, HATE, HATE, the OD tone. That is using the pedal to achieve your overdriven tone. That gain knob IMHO, should be kept at like 9 o'clock or under and then broken off, so you can never set it higher, otherwise it becomes, thin, harsh and cheap sounding.

All these amps above, are killer amps, so I don't think much can be said about that list, and my guitars are all pretty nice too. Other OD pedals I don't seem to have this problem with, but unfortunately as I mentioned above they don't do the "boost" thing like the Klon. But that Catalinbread pedal sure does.

12. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Could have been the specific Klon. I've had one that was magic, and one decidedly less so.

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

So, the deal is, not only is he grumpy, he's also inconsistent? :p

14. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

....I ain't touching that one. :)

15. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

[​IMG]

Aint no boteeck, but this thing can sing baby!!!!
    GG

:RoCkIn

16. bluesbreaker59

Nope I've tried 4 other Klons, all had the same HORRID, RASPY, THIN, "Bees flying in a nest" type overdrive tone. All of them were great boosters, but were just awful as overdrives, and for $350, it just isn't worth it for me. And to be sold and marketed as an Overdrive, c'mon, its a boost pedal, sell it for what it is, a corksniffer's boost pedal.

Not that there's anything wrong with cork sniffing or boost pedals. I enjoy both...;)

17. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I agree also..I had a Klon and didn't see what the big deal was..I ran mine through a Bogner Shiva and a Dr Z Maz 38 and I thought the clean boost was OK but 300 bucks..I sold mine to an effect builder soon after..I bought an RC boost and thought it was twice as good as the Klon..There may be something about going through the interview process with the Klon builder that might add some mystique to the whole Klon thing..Didn't do too much for me..

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

19. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I've had a Klon, one of the early gold models for a long time, and it seems to favour Fender Blackface amps IMO.