Klon even better than I expected

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slopeshoulder, May 8, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I borrowed a Klon and then ordered one 15 weeks ago. It came today. I played it for 4 hours, using 4 guitars, and in many stacking and solo settings. It's even better than I expected/remembered:

- Buffer: Using a mini bypass looper, I brought the Klon in and out of the circuit while turned OFF, just to hear the buffer. I've seriously checked out (bought/returned/sold) about 8 boosts and/or buffers lately, and had bought the looper because I expected this buffer to sound bad. WRONG! This is the least noticeable buffer I know of. Note: I always have my Eventide Time Factor buffer in line (at the end), and I love it's full, warm sound. When I add a second buffer, it usually sounds bad (hi-fi, articifical, crispy, stinky). OK, the Klon buffer sounds a HAIR more clear and a HAIR less in the mids then when taken out entirely. But it is very subtle, more subtle than others which claim to be great and sound way too bright. I decided to use the looper anyway because I record a lot and I figured I'll keep it pure. But in a live setting, that mini-looper will be the first to go if I need room to squeeze in another pedal on the board.

- Boost: Many people love the Klon as a boost. First I tried it totally clean, with the settings "flat" as recommended (gain off, treble at noon, level at 10:00). It was quite simply THE SINGLE MOST TRANSPARENT boost I have ever heard. NO coloration. This was a big surprise. I couldn't tell that it was on. Brining the level up made it bigger and louder, but never crispy or boomy or humpy. Great!

- OD into clean amp: This is NOT recommended by the maker. As others have noted, the gain adds a lot of midrange (and the pedal doesn't offer much gain on its own). But I did find that I could get a nice dirty-clean rhythm sound; not as open as my red snapper for this, but it'll do in a pinch.

- OD into dirty amp: well, my amp is always clean (Bruno Cowtipper with volume at 9:00), BUT my whole approach is to set one of many Menatone pedals to the edge of breakup (clean to decent crunch and sing based on picking dynamics, meaning gain at 12-1:00) and with output set noon which hits the amp HARD, so the input stage is working. I use the output on the menatone as my volume control, but I like it at noon when I can get away with it. SO, the Klon sounds amazing like this. Doing what it's meant to do. With gain at 10:00 and treble at 2:00, I guess the mids are there, but it doesn't have that mid hump sound. In fact it is much more open sounding than either my burst Eternity or Zendrive, less mid hump and less compression.

-Stacked with Eternity or Zendrive into either Howie, KOTB, TBIAC etc: Fantastic. Really. I got into long sustain, harmonics, etc. in a way that isn't harsh, isn't boomy, and still feels TACTILE! Any three pedals stacked will RAWK, but the detail, control, openness and musicality here were something special. Keep in mind that the Klon has gain at 10:00, the Eternty or Zen after it has gain at 9-10:00, and the Howie or other menatone has gain at 1:00. This is an amazing sound and experience.

Guitars: I liked it equally with all my guitars when used as above. Collings I-35 and 290, strat, tele. I have others but these were all I used. Again this was a surprise. I thought I wouldn't like it with humbuckers.

One last thing, I waited a long time and paid big bucks because this pedal worked with my gear to do the best pushed strat neck pickup thing (SRV, Mayer trio)that I've encountered. More than any TS variant. I was willing to let it do only this; that was the plan. It still does this better than anything I know of, but much more.

So when used as intended, judiciously, without over-relying upon the gain knob, it is one of the greatest pedals ever made, still. I sent three pedals back to the store last week. This one stays. If it was hype, I'd tell ya.

I have no interest in starting a 20 page thread about the Klon, and I've read all the others here. I just want to give my honest assessment. I hope it helps.

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Great review. Mine arrived today as well. I've only had a couple of hours with it, but using with my 65 Amps Soho it was great. I did first set the amp to clean and took the Klon through all the knob-turning I could do. I actually thought it sounded pretty good through a clean amp. Then I set the Soho to slight breakup using the Mastervolume (at home, son sleeping, jam isn't until tomorrow). The Soho has one of the best MV's I've tried, and then I kicked in the Klon. It was awesome.

I haven't started stacking yet.

Overall I am very happy with the Klon (thanks 'GAT')....

3. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I am one of the few that liked the klon with the gain up.. In a driven amp the best way I can describe it is authentic sounding.. It sounds like an amp cranked and feels like one too

4. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Slope,
    From posts in the past. I knew we both were using our Menatones much the same way-setting our amps very clean and letting different Menatone's give us a choice of several classic slightly dirty amps tones to work with. It is real cool to see we both happened to get Klons at roughly the same time as well- mine arrived new from Bill F. about two weeks ago- and are both extremely pleased with what the Klon has added to the mix.
    I cannot believe how FAT the Klon sounds! I have a SD Pickup Booster I use when I want my tone to be sparkling clean but when I want a nice chunky slightly overdriven rhythm tone to be able to goose with a variety of OD's for an incredible lead tone, the Klon is simply an amazing pedal to have between either my Zendrive, MP LGW, FD2, or 69 and one of my Menatones or just into my Blackface Super by itself. The Klon has totally blown me away!

5. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

how much was it to order direct?

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

$344 direct from Bill F. with a 12 to 14 week wait. I get the impression Bill prefers to have a brief conversation with the buyer to find out what to expect and how to use the Klon. I cannot fault him for this as it is sadly apparent that a very small % of people will try to buy a Klon simply to turn around and resell it on ebay for a hefty proffit. Personally, I can't see myself ever selling my Klon. It is that much of a unique and fantastic sounding unit that I seriously doubt I would ever want to sell it for whatever the price.:drool

7. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

KLON! Magical. Love it. I will respond to any Klon thread to express my appreciation of it.

8. OOG

OOG Member

i can't believe i waited so long to get mine
    plays really well with Zen II, E, Timmy and others
    i love it and might have to buy another just for the clean boost

9. bduguay

bduguay Member

Preachin to the choir here.
    For what I'm looking for, it can't be beat.
    B.

10. Ken

Ken Member

I have been experimenting since I got my Klon well over a year ago. I have been through quite a few OD's and so far to date, I'm the happiest with the Box Of Rock feeding the Klon feeding my Heritage Colonial w/el34's.

I'm using the BOR as a solo boost into the Klon, and the Klon as my low gain crunch and fattening tool.

Settings that seem to work the best right now (things always change) has the BOR gain at about 10-12 o'clock and the tone at 1-2 o'clock.

Klon's gain is anywhere from noon to 3 o'clock and tone is at noon to 2 o'clock...once again depending on the venue and my ears etc.

Others that quite did not make it as well with the Klon were some great pedals, but so far for my playing and the tone I'm looking for, nothing has beat this combo yet...Key word Yet :p...gotta love G.A.S.

11. slopeshoulder

Screamer and Ken:
    Klon after and between others...hmm. I'll have to try that! I have mine first in line.

12. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I will join in on the klon lives up to the hype hype!

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

single most transparent boost ever heard? damn, we sure do have different ears. . . . which is probably why i have your timmy. . . . i always believed the 'specialness' of the klon came from its 'color', NOT its transparency. . . . . . . which . . . of course. . . . is why we all have different ears. . . .

14. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I played around yesterday with the Honey Bee going into the Klon, and the used the Klon as clean boost. Then I used the Klon to add a tad of gain, and also played around with the treble control on the Klon to adjust the sound. Some really great sounds to be had, and I just so look forward to this weekend testing the Klon with some other pedals as well.

So far I agree, it has lived up to its hype....(I'm still on the honeymoon though :eek:)

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Glad you are digging it. About the buffers, I don't want to ruin it for you and maybe it deosn't happen for you, but I found also the Klons' buffer excellent when it was the ONLY buffer in the chain...but
    it is when it plays with other buffers that I was getting a way too trebly sound.

I blame the Klon because all the other buffers play together nicely, but any of them with the Klon don't.

It's where I noticed it anyway, but since you have a looper anyway if you find out the same as I did, you have the solution already.

16. slopeshoulder

Hey man, I hope you're loving that timmy. I was surpised believe me. But with gain DOWN and amp clean, and with soft volume, it was like it wasn't on (at unity). And believe, my ears are full of very recent memories of bost and buffer related tone shifts form other pedals.

Maybe he changed the design?:stir I"M KIDDING!!!! IGNORE THAT!! They've never changed!

Ears and rigs differ, yup.

17. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

Agreed. Lizard Leg Flying Dragon Boost is the most transparent boost i've ever played for sure. While the Klon does an awesome and very unique boost, it is so much more than a boost pedal imo

18. slopeshoulder

Funny, my Lizard Leg arrives next week (I had a demo to try). I'll use it for other things than the Klon (level setting of single coils). But it also sounds great in a different way as a stacker.
    Waiting (a year) for new Kar Krash, and then I am all done, period, the end, lights out.

19. Rock72

Rock72 Member

That's exactly what I said before I bought the Klon, or the Toneczar or the Sky Blue Overdrive I'm getting tomorrow...:eek:.

I really don't know when enough is enough, and they're all so darn good..

20. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Same here. I boost my BOR with the Klon (Klon>BOR). Sounds great! I have been meaning to try it the other way around, but I have not got around to it yet. I guess I like it the way it is. Oh well...someday...