Klon - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Oct 10, 2007.

1. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Honestly -- the Vincent/Klon combo is hard to beat in my book. Carr amps has a real winner with that amp -- it is actually slightly smaller than a Rambler -- but man does it pack a wallop.

I have gone through some very high end amps (like $2,500 is not high end), and the Vincent -- hands down is number one on my list (at least for my tastes).

I have done a couple of gigs with the Vincent and Klon -- (small clubs) and I have not taken the Vincent off the 7 watt setting. Even on the 7 watt setting I can get beautiful cleans for R&B and screaming blues/rock tones for the Classic Rock stuff.

Amp is a monster -- and the Vincent/Klon combo is off the charts (again, at least for my tastes).... and you control it all off the guitar pots to boot.

[​IMG]

cereal likes this.
  2. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I do love the Klon, but felt it should be 200 USD not 350. When the gain is cranked, it totally colors the drive but in a cool Brian May kinda way. As a boost? ahhh.... My little 110 dollar FMD boost by Stephensonamps would do as good or dare I say better. The CLEANEST boost on the planet is the Katana, but will actually rob mojo from your tubes as well....so back to the FMD. The Klon adds that mojo that the FMD does, too but for a MUCH bigger price. Klon is a great addition though!

3. Jam119

Jam119 Member

and he forgot the line "I'm not only the Hair Club for Men's President, I'm also a client"... :moon:moon:moon:moon

4. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

If you call Bill (the builder/owner of Klon) to order a Klon Centaur, 1/2 of the time he will talk you out of it.

The vast majority of the people that are unhappy with it, or don't get the hype are not using it properly. I fell into the same trap.

If you are using it to lower the volume of the amp, as a distortion box in doesn't sound very good. The thing is the Klon will push the amp hard and make it ALOT louder than most people prefer.

Very few people play their Fender amps the proper way, meaning volume around 6. Most people keep them at 2-3 for low volume.

You will not be able to fully appreciate the Klon unless you crank the amp a bit and crank the volume on the Klon.

I am playing my 2nd Klon. It may be "snob-appeal", yet there is something mystical about them.

They seems to be built like a tank. I cannot imagine anything ever breaking on a Klon. Can't say that for my TS808

5. Cvt

Cvt Member

Holy balls you guys are good....Okay I'm coming clean on the Rockett stuff...I am busted but to my defense It is an accurate review of the equipment. Everything from the Texas guitar show is true...that is where I picked up the pedal and cables to checkout for the first time and can't stop playing the stuff!! I wish I could say I designed them but not my thing I am just a player.

Don't fault Jayrock77@yahoo.com he had nothing to do with it. I took a beating from Jay and a beating on TGP.....lesson learned!! I am trying to help launch this Mo Fo because a piece of the profits are going to help some alt cancer research which is close to us.

Anyway, nuff said ...you got me but.... I assure you the equipments is rediculous. If anyone picks one up I am betting your review will be the same!

6. pepperco

pepperco Member

Well then, How about some pictures sound clips or a better description ?

If its good people will buy it, but not based on the claim that a pedal "rocks".
    Thats not enough info. The devil is in the details, and there is a discerning bunch here, as you have found out !

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, but was it one WEEK ago or over a year ago. Because in the post you say "I got lucky about 1 week ago and ran across a new company at a Texas guitar show."

And yet, in a post dated September of 2006 you state:

"Here is my list of favorites for cleen boost/OD pedals in no particular order
    <snip>
    7. Rockett Boost/formerly the fix my duck(By Stephenson Amps)...by far the best clean boost in my opinion *
    <snip>
    10. Anything with a star were my favorites"

So, clearly you have known of these pedals for a while, which your mea culpa post doesn't really speak to.

Anyway, definitely a good thing to come clean, but come completely clean if you're going to do it. Coming halfway clean after being caught doesn't strike me as all that noble.

Honestly, the whole thing is just irritating because there are so many good folks on this forum, with valid opinions and honest reviews. This sort of thing is just so low rent.

BAN

8. Cvt

Cvt Member

The idea came along a while ago but the final product was as of 1 week ago which is where I played it for the first time at the Texas guitar show. I was pretty well seperated from the project for the last year as the thing was reworked so it is pretty fresh to me too. It took a while to get off the ground and the proto from a year ago never came to fruition but with that said the new pedal is "based" on the same circuit but completely different now. I was not sure I would like due to some of the changes but the changes were a definite plus. As stated it is still loosely based on the FMD circuit but has much better components and cryo treated Jena Labs wiring along with a line buffer that can be switched on or off. There is also a dark/bright switch and no gain control. The box is plated copper and is substantially larger. There will be vids and soundclips soon. Website is almost done. I am coming as clean as possible!!

9. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Prefessional means you haven't got paid yet, right?

10. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Have you "tried" a pedal if you haven't cranked the gain past 10:00?

11. TimH

TimH Member

:horse

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

...and have you spanked a dead horse if you haven't spanked it past 10:00?ยจ

I have NO idea what I meant by that...but it got me laughing so..

13. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Guys

Out of curiosity I contacted Jay Rockett about his Boost Pedal. Jay sent me a long email about it. I tried to copy it hear but for some reason it doesn't want to post accurately, even tried splitting the info into two posts, still no work. If anyone would like it I could email you in the info but I recommend contacting Jay if you are interested. Jay seems to be a great guy, straight shooter, and is really pumped about his product. Got me GAS'n for sure. Can;t wait to see the Videos he's working on. This pedal is going to the top of my watch list.

Smoke'

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

So SBB...what time does happy hour start in Norway?:p

Chow,
    Seegs

15. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Fair enough. That was an excellent clarification, by the way. I do look forward to seeing/hearing more about the pedal.

Best,
    BAN

16. Alienhead

Alienhead Member

Klon is for guy's who love Fender style amps. It can function as one OD and you can dial in enough gain so that there is no need for another. There are a lot of Fender amp owners out there, hence the popularity of the Klon. This is what Finnegan had in mind. It's the perfect compliment to the Fender. It's dynamic, touch responsive, but not necessarily for everybody. I like mine in certain situations and sometimes it fits where it shouldn't. But I don't use it for every gig, live or studio.

17. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

God, statements like this are why I don't believe a WORD I hear on these forums. Really, if you know ANYTHING about basic electronics/repair/amps etc this is so damned ludicrous, i don't know where to begin, so I won't.

18. TimH

TimH Member

lol..it begs me to ask why you read if you don't believe any of it. I try to stay away from the National Inquierer.

19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

No, really, it actually removes the tubes from your amp, goes into your wallet, takes your credit card and drives down to Guitar Center, then buys the cheapest Chinese tubes available, catches a bus back to your house, puts the crappy tubes into your amp and goes back to its place on the pedal board. I saw it do this at the Texas Guitar show. :messedup

meltedbuzzbox likes this.
  20. omni

omni Member

In 99 I bought a Klon, the pedal is totally hyped and way overpriced. I resold it for what I paid and used my TS9 instead. It did make a cool kind of clean boost though but nothing special.