Klon - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Oct 10, 2007.

1. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I bought mine around the same time for about the same amount of money...but I still have it.

It did not curl my toes either. It is a unique boost and tone-thickener and works best in front of my '64 BFSR...but it's on the shelf in my gear closet (and that speaks volumes).

Although I will say, nothing else I own sounds quite like it (but I can say that about 90% of the pedals I have ever owned).

2. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

Wow, busted, but good comeback. I was wondering when/if you'd come clean and you did. They might even let you stay, but I'd watch my step from now on if I was you. These guys are a pretty shrewd bunch and can smell cheese a mile away.

That said, I'd love to try a Klon. I think a friend of mine has one. Can't wait to hear some reviews on the RockettBoxx thingy.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I find it hard to describe what I like about the Klon. I am putting it back on my pedalboard again after using it just on the floor at last band practice. I have a...not "love/hate" more "enchantment/dissatisfaction" thing going with the Klon.

But again, I don't use it as a boost, I use it for its OD which I think can be magic when the stars are aligned. Or when I learn. I find I get more and more often the great sound as I learn its sounds.

Anyway, the hard thing to describe is what I find is uniqe about it. For me it has to do with touch sensitivity (and I mostly have used it in Fenders, but also a Germino Marshal clone of JTM-45 which sounded wonderdful) but also...a huge amount has to do with the sound of the bass frequencies and their presence. It just makes the amp sound bigger, more up front....like Warren on Gov't Mule, or Mississippi Queen, or Bad Company, or some of Tony Joe White swamp music, or Allman brothers...that presence that is there without it being trebly.

It sounds authoritative. That is why I peaked interest and asked on a recent thread about the GSR if THAT is what they were describing a little with the GSR being very big sounding. Was wondering if it was like a cross between a Klon and a Zendrive (which...if it kept the best parts of each I would buy in a sec!)

For me the pedal is frustrating at times, and wonderful at times.

4. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

LMAO- This is just priceless.
    Let me get this right, you made up a bunch of B.S. because your a humanitarian and want to raise money for Cancer research. Now I see why you didn't want a little thing like the truth to get in the way of your sales pitch.
    Let me know if your affiliated with any other business I like to avoid them too.

5. The Pup

Despicable.

6. Rockett

Rockett Member

Time for me to post. I was trying to stay away from this as long as possible holding on to some hope that some of you would forgive my partner and friend who made a bad judgement call. At least he came clean to all of you and to me as well. The humanitarian slam comment is over stepping a bit. CVT was diagnosed with severe leukemia over 7 years ago and was given 3 years to live. He did tremendous amounts of research and helped put together a team to start an alternative cancer care clinic in CA. That very clinic has helped people get through some EXTREMELY tough times in their lives including Chris who I am happy to say is doing well 4 years past the DR’s prognosis. It’s ABSOLUTLY true that a portion of my profits are going to that very clinic. We will also have a donation spot on our website that 100% of the donation goes straight to that cause. I felt strongly about it and if you have ever been through something like this with a family member or friend you would understand a bit more. CVT would be the first guy had you needed help would offer his help in full no questions asked period! Nuff said.
    Now, about my pedal. You may speculate as much as you want about what it sounds like and whom it is copying. The truth is that my boost copies NO OTHER circuit. I love how rumors get started. True I have worked with Stephenson on this pedal but it is definitely NOT an FMD. Even though the FMD is a nice circuit and worthy of your attention. Just realize that I am just like all of you. A Tone FREAK! I am a player not an engineer or top sales guy or business man. I am simply trying to share my discoveries with all of you. It’s important to me since I spent countless amounts of cash on pedals. I played it all, in as many music stores and boutique dealers as I could. I usually left disappointed in most cases. I just couldn’t find what I was looking for so I proceeded to learn about electronics and figure them out. I worked with many industry gurus to help me accomplish my goals. My original intention wasn’t to start a business. It was to make the pedal I can’t find anywhere. So after a couple years of constant trying and spending enough money to choke a horse I finally was seeing break throughs. So much so that I ended up with IN MY OPINION is an absolute gem. I was so inspired by this circuit that I figured I would show a few players that I know. They freaked, so then I built a few more and let a few people try them and they were asking when they could buy it. Woke up and figured I absolutely love tone, in fact so much that I am willing to take a chance, leave my steady job, and try to show people this pedal that might have struggled finding something like I did. So I decided to enlist help and move forward and show the tone freaks something truly different. It may not be for everyone and I understand that. But at least give it a chance, it really deserves your attention. Just because my partner made a mistake doesn’t make it a bad business or bad pedal or bad anything other than just that – a bad mistake. He has tried to make it right with you all and I admire that in him. How many other manufacturers are on these pages?/ I don’t post on these forums, in fact this is my very first post. You can do as many searches as you want. I have NEVER EVER posted anything about my products. I can with confidence say I believe this to be a circuit that can truly make a difference for your tone. I will without a doubt answer any questions you might have and prove to you that I am an extremely honest guy that is passionate about tone and willing and wanting to share my discoveries with all of you!! When my website launches in a few weeks just check it out there. If your interested great, if not I understand. Either way, Take care and much love.
    Rockett

meltedbuzzbox likes this.
  7. The Pup

This is true...the Klon is purpose built for a narrow implied use as idicated above.

...and it still sits in my unused gear closet.

...but there must be some reason I'm still holding on to it for so many years.

Perhaps it's merely a pedal board real estate to perceived utility/pleasure quotient. If it were smaller and had more utility, perhaps it would be more of a pleasure to keep it on one of my boards.

8. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Well....most intriguing.

I will say, Kudos to the members here for sniffing that out, very bad form for sure. Glad you came clean, but really, would you have if they'd not realized they were being put on?

Not cool. Especially by using a thread about a competitor's product to further your own sales.

Just my 2 cents on this....

PurpleJesus likes this.
  9. Rockett

Rockett Member

Had I known this had happened, YES I would have come clean but i had absolutely no knowledge of this. I was contacted by a forum member interested in my pedal and asked how the hell he found me, he then pointed out this link. That was my introduction to the Gear page. I Had never posted anything ever or had ANY intention to post on these pages but I must say, a cool place.
    And as far as Klon is concerned, I SUPPORT Klon and their endeavors, I don't see them as my competition, rather I see them as good people with a good product!!!
    Going silent now on this crazy thread. Take care!! Enjoy life!
    Rockett

10. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Klons are overpriced doorstops.

11. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Jeff Beck might be the best guitarist on earth. Here's a shot of his pedalboard:

[​IMG]

The Klon sitting on Beck's pedalboard is no hype. I love mine even if it's just an AF1 Klon Klone.

Jeff Beck, who might be the best guitarist on earth (did I already say that? :D), and who probably knows what's hype and what's not when it comes to guitar gear, uses a Klon.

The Klon is no hype...but it has to fit your style and your tastes....and you have to be good and know how how to use it. And you still have to play pretty loud in order to get it to work its magic. It's not a bedroom pedal.

I get the feeling that some or all of that criteria is missing with most of the players who dismiss the Klon out of hand as being hype.

Jeff Beck, who might be the best guitarist on earth... Oh! I already said that! :p

nkt275 likes this.
  12. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

So you bought "Klon Centaur" (Silver or Gold) original manufacturer pedal for $350.00 and didn't pay $1,500.00+?

13. orogeny

orogeny Member

um
    thread from 2007?

scolfax and pete12string like this.
  14. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Yes...in 2007 lol.

15. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Thanks for bumping this obsolete thread just to be a troll.

scolfax and dpgreek like this.
  16. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

^ Yep, kinda pointless.

dpgreek likes this.
  17. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. What a thread! Even if it's from 2007.

I'm just glad Rockett stayed true to its vision and never based a pedal on the Klon circuit.

This whole thread was entertaining. First there was spamming. Then it was easily discovered. Then the "Nuh uh" phase. Then a pseudo humanitarian excuse for lying. Then just admitting lying. And finally Rockett saying their boost isn't based on a Klon. 7 short years later there's the Archer :aok

It's gold, Jerry! Gold!

18. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Supporting Member

So, pretty much exactly like any other piece of gear? Got it.

19. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Yeah, I must admit, I was riveted by this thread. Seems Rockett has been riding Bill's coattails far longer than we knew.

ejoco likes this.
  20. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

I couldn't read all the pages here......as it's clear from the start that there's some shenanigans of one type or another going on. That said, I bought a Silver Klon back in March of 2000-something, (it was the last month & year Bill made the originals that you could order direct). Anyway, I called him on the phone, talked to him, and he was a really nice guy to talk with. I learned 2 things about the Klon; 1) He made it to try to imitate a Fender Twin that's being pushed into OD but not kill an audience in a small club, and 2) It works best if it hits the front end of an amp that just on the verge of breaking up.........so it can sound something like a Fender Twin that's being over-driven.

Trying to get anything else out of that pedal is.........well.........dumb. I've been tempted to sell mine as I'd make a fortune, but I own a '65 Deluxe Reverb, '66 Princeton Reverb and a '65 Vibrochamp...........and the Klon sounds amazing with those amps. So there ya go.

losrogers, mapleneck72 and Wagster like this.