KLON for Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by BluesHarp, Feb 4, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Well... I just had to. I was playing the guitar earlier and was digN my klon and looked up and saw my 5 string and thought.. well sh*t, what the hell. I just bought a SHO on ebay, and if it works for my needs, I may sell the gold klon... if not but for the resale value alone. :)

BUT. Bass sounds awesome through this thing!!! Gain @ 11, Treble @ 11, and volume @ unity. :AOK

Anybody here in Bass World try this pedal for some growl/light distortrion???

2. Thor

Thor Member

The truth is that I don't want to like a $400 OD pedal for bass!! I have been able to resist picking up a Klon because I usually don't get a chance to open up my guitar amp enough to the levels needed for the Klon to really work its magic.

Great to hear that it does work well though. Currious to hear how the SHO works out...

Cheers,

Edward

3. 6789

6789 Member

have some clips you can post?

4. Boomer

Boomer Member

I've been experimenting with a Sparkle Drive with my bass since you can mix the clean and dirt. I'm waiting for a response from Keeley about doing their regular Sparkle Drive mod and widening the bandwidth a bit so all the bottom end makes it through. It sounds pretty good stock, adding a bit of punch and hair to the bass.

A few months ago I sent them a Boss CE-2 for their HiFi mod and while it was there I asked if they could add a switch to run a more compatible capacitor for bass and keep the original cap also available for guitar. It turned out great and I hope they can do the same for the SD.

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Dont know how.... :eek:

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Thats what I wanted to hear! Yea, the buffering, the growl from the gain ( which sounds sh*ty for guitar, IMHO ) and the low mids that adds a woody tone makes it pretty damn inviting.

:RoCkIn

7. pedaLkrama

pedaLkrama Member

This idea has always intriqued me! Now I need to try it.
    I used to use a BJFE RED ROOSTER BOOSTER and now use a BJFE BABY PINK and it sounds amazing, amazing. Now I'll need to borrow a Klon to compare. Very interesting thread. Thanks!

8. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Its been 5 years since this thread started, but ive been digging the low mid woody tone from using a KTR on my bass board since the Kingsley Page has temporary replaced the KTR on my guitar board.

Have it set with no dirt, and a bit of bite on the tone knob. Very good dense tone.. and I know its a lot of money tied up in it to be on a lowly bass board.. but this keeps the pedal in play if I should rotate it back to guitar, so I wont have regrets.

Anyone else using one, or a klone for bass?

9. murryw

murryw Member

Klons have become very expensive. I saw a You Tube video comparing a Klon to a Klon clone, and I swear I couldn't hear any difference at all. I think it was the Kalamazoo... But the point is, you can always find another road to get to the same destination, and in some cases clones will have significant improvements over the original. For instance I recently got a Civil War clone, the Wren And Cuff Box Of War. It is not only less noisy than the original, it is more consistent in tone.

10. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Member

I incorporated a bass boost control in my Klon clone and it sounds amazing. I've wondered how it would work on a bass... Going to have to give that a go!!

11. ccouch7

ccouch7 Member

???!!:boxer

12. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I actually sold the KTR for $525. My plans were to buy a klone for $150 someday..

13. murryw

murryw Member

Speaking of effects, there was a treble boost pedal that did the amazing thing of growing into a fantastic price when people heard that Brian May used a treble boost and the guy has great tone, right? I think the pedal was called a Dallas Ranger or something - doesn't matter, people are desperate for treble boosts. I would just like to put something out there. Brian May gets most of his tone from running two Vox AC 30s on "10" volume. It is a characteristic of that amp to loose a lot of the treble when it is played on "10." So he got a treble boost. So all you people tripping over each other to buy treble boosts, you won't really need one unless you are performing in a stadium.

14. murryw

murryw Member

Could you elucidate further on the Sparkle Drive, sir? I have one and didn't know it needed to be modded, and thanks for the suggestion as I actually play bass in a band, and it never occurred to me to use the Sparkle for bass. How is that working? Where is this place to send your pedals to be modded?

15. V-man

V-man Supporting Member

Since this diverted over to a Guitar post...

The Treble Boost in question was the Dallas Rangemaster, and it was an integral part of Brian May's tone as it was in Tony Iommi's rig (his was modified for more gain). Treble boosts predated ODs and distortion and were some of the original boosts. I never bothered until last year when I got my Analog Man Sun Lion (a Dallas Rangemaster AND Fuzz Face clone in one pedal). To say you don't need one unless performing in a stadium is a ridiculous statement.

The Treble boost adds some compression and gain in a more subtle manner than an OD. Depending on the amp used (I play Marshalls), it provides an amazing boost. In fact, I just found a new use for mine last night. The Analog Man Treble Boost has a switch to boost Mids or Bass as well, which allows me to add gain and bass response to my JCM 900.

The bottom line is that the Treble Booster is a very competent and versatile for the toolbox, and it's perfectly useful outside of the stadium.

16. murryw

murryw Member

Wow, I sure didn't mean to upset anyone!

17. Devnor

Devnor Member

I use my KTR on bass guitar all the time. Straight into an Axe FX. It really fattens up my bass tone. Same with electric guitar played clean...plus it's nice to be able to sculpt my tone without any menu diving.

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

Diggin up this old thread because a friend of mine just bought an original Klon from some guy in Australia and his Klon came yesterday...inside there was a business card taped to the bottom plate that stated...Klon made for bass or something like that...for a guy named Troy...

So apparently Bill made a special version for bass...

I wonder what's different?

Chow,
    Seegs