Klon me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Colt, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Colt

Colt Member

Who of you are actually using these? What settings/amp/guitar? How long was the wait? (I'm waiting on him to call back, I know he's a busy man) Was it worth the scratch (to you, in your opinion...whatever, I don't want "if you think it's worth it, then it is"...just, what YOUR opinion as an owner) Does it work equally well w/ les pauls and teles/strats? I've heard about how great it works with singles..not much about LP's though? I'm moving to a pretty simple rig wah-sunface (germ)- klon- AM comprosser- mojo vibe.....and eventually a Tape Tube Echo....

Does the buffer bother you at all? interefer w/ other effects? I know it'd mess with the fuzz if it was before it...so it's being placed after that...what about the comprosser or mojo? tte? how many of you modded (or had modded) the centaur to be true bypass? Thanks guys!

2. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

No way would I mod the Klon for true bypass. I actually really like the buffer, and use the pedal first in line. I don't use fuzz or wah currently, so it works in that position.

I works great with HBs, P90s and singles equally. I usually use it for a slight gain/mid boost. I find it most useful with the gain around 9, vol to taste (but I set it around 12-1), and treble between 1 and 2 O Clock.

3. Colt

Colt Member

cool, do you use any other dirt boxes? What amp/guitar are you sending through it?

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

fwiw...I also have mine first in line after using it last in line as a clean boost for a lot of years...I love the buffer as I run an A/B/Y setup for channel switching and it really restores my high end when using longer cable runs...

I have a wah and a Fuzz after it with no problems what-so-ever...I am using a Teese RMC2 which plays well with a buffer and/or disortion before or after it unlike my picture wah which didn't handle either very well...

I also have a BJF Pink Purple Fuzz after the Klon and they sound killer together...the Honeybee also sounds nice with the Klon before it as do all the dirt boxes I have tried...run first it articulates and tightens the bass end in the pedals I run after it...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. kaseri

kaseri Member

I use my Klon as a lead boost & it's always on my board. I've tried to make due without it, I've tried to replace it, but the Klon does what it does so well that nothing sounds as good to my ears for what I need it to do.

6. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Currently, I'm using also a BJF Dyna Red, but I rarely feel the need to stomp on it. BTW, It works very well after the Klon. I used to have many dirt boxes, but my current setup just works better for me. I've come to hate having many pedals in front of me. Too much distraction from what's really important.

If you rely on amp drive mostly (which I do), I think it's tough to beat the Klon. I own the TIM, and I used to own many boxes such as Hotcake, FD2, Texas 2 Step, RC Booster (and on and on...) but the Klon works for me best.

Also, unlike many people, I like the overdrive sound from the Klon, especially with buckers. I like it best when the treble is set around 2 O Clock. It gets rid of the famous honkiness that the Klon has when the drive is too high and the treble is too low.

So for me right now it's mostly the Klon and Fuchs, one ODS SLX30 and one ODS 50.

7. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

Yes.

8. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Sorry man, I just sold mine, RC Booster replace dit. For the cost $ difference, couldn't see keeping it. It does sound great, I too liked it before drives. I did not care for the OD, merely as boost/buffer.

9. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

the klon is a great pedal. i don't thinkg i'd pay ebay prices for one but i would buy another one from bill. i've tried a timmy, kot, and klon and i really preferred the klon. the others were great as well but i was trying to see if they could duplicate the voicing of the klon. it seems that a lot of pedals can come close but no one can do what the klon does, especially for the clean boost setting.

i use my klon with a 57 lp special and a rxes(dr z). and i can't go back to playing with out it. so yeah, i do think it's worth buying.

10. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Do a lot players run the klon first? Even before a compressor?
    Thanks
    Lou

11. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

i run mine 3rd- a keely compressor & fuzz factory in front of it. after, I run a line6 dl-4 & either a hotcake (if i am using my ac-30) or the lift in a /13 switchazel (if i am running my /13 rsa 23).

there are always discussions about its expense, etc. there are very few people who have had one that will move off it. thats because it sounds awesome in every situation i throw it at.

/i

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I have a Honey Bee, a TIM, a King of Tone and an RC Booster.

I also have a Klon on order.

I'm enjoying the TIM and the HB so much that I'm on the verge of eBaying the KOT, the RC is getting used less and less and I'm wondering about whether I really need that Klon.

Is anyone using a Klon, a TIM and a Honey Bee together? Will I find a place for all three?

13. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I have a Klon & I believe that it has everything to do with your amp as to whether or not you'll love it or not. I'm using a 67 Fender Vibrolux reverb w/Eminence copperheads & a 61 Fender Super amp w/eminence & Fender reverb unit. One guy described the Klon as giving your sound girth & I think that is an adequate description. My Klon loves my Fender amps. I got mine within 6 weeks. I'm using a strat.

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

the klon is the best "pusher" i have ever played. i always hated stacking until today when i stacked my new zendrive and my new klon. :dude
    the wonderful thing about the klon, is that if your amp is even close to breaking up, the klon WILL get it there, and without much volume increase (unless you want it). it's truly like getting a very girthy/slighty more compressed version of your amp cranked, but at a lower volume.

and like i said ... pedals love to take it right in the input jack from the klon :eek:

15. vanguard

vanguard Member

my experience is that it didnt sound so great with humbuckers. it sounded really muddy and bogged down to me. i believe bill used a blackfaced twin reverb as his main testing amp and it shows. when i turn my twin up to about 4 and then push it with the klon, the light od is heaven. i only like it with my jazzmaster and my tele though. i actually sold my old lp custom cause it just felt obsolete in my new rig.

16. Madsman

Madsman Member

I only use the Klon with humbuckers, so far, so my experience is pretty dramatically contrary to that.

17. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

So how are you guys finding the Klon with higher pre amp gain amps like a VHT or a Boogie? I've been trying to use a Barber Tone Pump as a clean boost with my Demeter and I can't seem to get enough dirt dialled out of the Tonepump and yet keep the volume boost on my dirt channel on my amp. I know the Tonepump is not a clean boost but it's all I got for now outside of a few fuzzes. All I want is a volume boost without a lot of colouration, compression and noise, is the Klon the way to go?

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've had mine for a long time. 10 years? Never tried with with humbuckers. Like every boost pedal I've tried, it varies amp to amp. In general, loves Fender BF, but even there, some differences. Worked so fine with my SR, not as good with the DR. With the Clark Tyger, sounds perfect, natural. Can't not use it. Same deal with the Bruno CT 45 I play in a studio. When it matches up with an amp that way, no other pedal in my experience can provide quite the same affect. I use it as a clean boost only, gain off, tone a little past halfway, same with output. It makes the already happening sound of a beginning-to-drive amp much bigger, wider, and louder. Girth is the right word. At these prices, lots of people would be selling if the pedal was anything less than great.

19. jetlag

jetlag Member

Regarding the Klon's buffer. Yes, I'd love to true bypass it. To me, the Klon sounds great when it's on. When it's off, it adds a darkness to your sound, sort of like a subtle tube screamer is on. It rolls highs off and gives things a subtle open vowel tonality - weird for a buffer. But when you click it on, that goes away, unless your settings are dialing that particular tone in. I've tried to put true bypass in the pedal, but was unsuccessful thanks to the dumble-esque paranoia black goo. With saying all of this, I'm not that picky when it comes to buffers. For example, I have no problem leaving a boss TU-2 stage tuner in my chain.

20. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I noticed on another thread that kaseri was bypasssing his Klon with one of the Keeley mini-loop boxes. That might be a way to go rather than modifying the Klon itself.