Klon messing with my Carbon Copy delay repeats - HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minjason, Jul 16, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

I just got a brand new MXR Carbon Copy in the mail a few days ago and wired it up on my board today. I have it placed in the signal chain right after my Klon and before my DD-20. Everything was working great until I turned on both the Klon and the CC at the same time. Everything still sounded good tone-wise, but I realized that turning on the Klon would shorten the number of repeats on my CC. Even with the feedback knob dimed on the CC, with the Klon on, I would get maybe 6-7 repeats max. As soon as I turn off the Klon, the repeats are back. I tested the CC after all of my other ODs individually, and it worked perfectly with anything else coming before it. As soon as I put the Klon before it and turn it on, the repeats start getting cut off. Again, with the Klon OFF, there is no problem. Anyone know what could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Overload...

3. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

+1

I run all delays and reverb pedals in effects loop or go buy a good looper pedal.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Do you own a volume pedal? If so you could place it in between the Klon and the delay, get the sound you want at lower volume from the Klon and see if that helped.

Any kind of problem like this, you need to experiment a little to see what is really happening. For example, if you turn the Klon gain down to under 9 o'clock, set the volume at unity (no louder on then off) and then try it are the repeats normal again? Things like that will tell you better what is going on.

Volume pedal between them also will tell you something. But like the other folks mention, delays are best if you have a effects loop that is good...but if not you can figure something out probably. Alternative if you don't have or like volume pedal, try a EQ, or another OD...anything with a volume control and force the level down and see just where it loses repeats.

If you determine it is happening as you think, but you really want it to work together, you might talk to the folks that make the delay and ask if they can mod (or advise you how to) the input impedance or whatever way they think best to get the problem solved. IF they can mod it, I would ask if they can have a switch to go from modded to "normal".
    In case you ever decide not to use the Klon with it later.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have a Klon before my Deep Blue Delay and it sounds like heaven...I would venture to say the CC doesn't have very much headroom...I didn't care for the one I checked out...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Same with Klon before AD900 - the AD900 seems to be able to handle it, maybe its the 12v it runs at.

7. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I thought my ad900 was dying, the repeats were very quiet and I can get one repeat. I started the process of elimination and my Klon for what ever reason in bypass is causing the quirk. My ad900 is modded for true bypass by AM, electronics make me:crazy

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

OBVIOUSLY it's the CC that's the problem. Everyone here knows the Klon is PERFECTION.:hide:D

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

As mentioned, if you have access to an effects loop, put the delay in it. I have never been a huge fan of effects loops but as of late I started using the loops on my amps and it really is best for time based effects IMO.

With reference to your problem as is, I have found certain pedals to work better/worse with others in line. I haven't a clue as to why but it has happened to me. Weird!!!

b

10. charmboy

charmboy Member

I like my CC but I've had friends complain about headroom issues and clipping when using certain types of gain before theirs.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If the issue is headroom (the Klon boosting the signal level beyond what the CC can handle), stuffing the CC in the amp's effects loop might not help. Most effects loops run at line level, or at least significantly hotter than the guitar signal. You might be able to pad the loop level down, of course, but it might not be enough. Did you try setting the Klon clean and at unity gain?

/Andreas

12. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I got rid of my CC right away as it didn't handle a hot signal well -
    had a high end artifact that came on - though I didn't notice that
    with just the Klon.

13. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Mine acts up while the klon is in bypass.

14. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

Analog delays are notorious for these exact types of issues. its odd.

example: one of my analog delays will have no problem with any of my super high gain pedals, but simple ods like my timmy will over load it really easily. its weird.

15. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

FWIW, I've read that the Klon's buffer can react badly with other pedals. I don't have any first hand knowledge, and of course one reads a lot of "things" on the internet, but it may be worth looking into.

TG

16. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I'm running a Barber SS into my CC with no issues and I would guess the SS has a lot more gain than the Klon.

17. jayn

jayn Member

That was my experience. It was awhile ago and I can't remember the details. On it's own, it's a great pedal.

18. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

I have a similar problem, with my ACOUSTIC!!! (Taylor 314ce, btw)

I get like 1 or 2 repeats, even with regen maxed.

It starts working okay if I clean-boost(RC Booster) my signal. So I guess my sigal is too low? weird...

And this only happens when I'm using it directly into this Yamaha mixer.

Doesn't happen on any other amp, or mixer.

Strange, huh?

I guess the Carbon Copy does have compatibilty problems... I wonder what part of the delay is causing it.

19. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

The Klon, in my experience never "played well" with time based effects. Whether it was my old EP-3's, analog delays, or even my reverb tank, it just never behaved well with them.

I find that my Crowther Hotcake however, works pretty well as a booster in front of my Ibanez AD9 and my reverb tank. Now my Fulldrive however, DOES NOT seem to like the analog delay...

20. JRY.1949

JRY.1949 Member

put it last in the chain.