Klon on Ebay $809 + Are you kidding????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by modoc, Jan 28, 2006.

1. modoc

modoc Guest

2. duende

duende Member

Early serial #... Silver with graphic...

Heck... now I know how much I can get for mine if I'm desparate.

Yep... people are crazy... I payed waaaayyyy too much for my Foxx Tone Machine. But then again... I heard it before I put my money down.

3. davebc

davebc Member

Geez, and mine only cost a quarter of that.

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

And the seller is one of our own. Hey, if you can get it, get it!

5. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Ebay sets precidance, and screws it up for many (poor musicians) without a Klon, or any other great pedal, again...

Ebay sux, and I wish it wasn't such a monopoly...of minds and the internet...

6. modoc

modoc Guest

Absolutely!!...I just can't believe that people are paying that amount for it!! Then again...I can't believe what people are paying for Tim/Timmy's on Ebay either. It's a funny old world :)

7. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

wow, derek's really makin out on this one! way to go! haha.

8. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

then how come no one can seem to duplicate the klon's sound? i'm just asking and i'm not trying to be rude.

9. Curt

Curt Member

Good question. And I have no clue why. If I (or anyone with a decent knowledge of electronics) had that Klon for one day, I could have the schematic laid out in fifteen minutes, identical boards made by any number of independent board house, in any quantity, within two weeks. And, the components would be sitting on my bench and ready to stuff by the time I got the boards back.
    *If* a identical component was no longer available, a sub with the same specs can be found. If I couldn't locate the manufacturer of that part, or the part was no longer made, then a good scope, a good DMM that reads capacitance and a curve tracer is all I'd need. It's so simple. Anybody who can read a schmatic, drill some holes in a case, stuff a board and solder, can make a "Klon" for about $40.00 -$50 max, including the case.

But, most people don't want Klon clones, even if they sounded identical to the original. They want the real thing and they want it to say "Klon",

If you removed the boards and pots from a Klon, and you stuffed those parts in a plastic Radio Shack case that said "Freds Pedal Company", and you asked Klon owners if they thought the pedal sounded as good as their Klon, what do think they would say?

10. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i think the problem with cloning the klon is that the circuit is covered by "some melted plastic".. so if screw it up, you screw a very expensive pedal...

i haven't heard the klon yet.. but i think 800 is waaayy to much. same with the way huge pedals... it's a insane world!

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

the board is gooped and sometimes the identifying makings are sanded off of the IC's...

Geez I have a silver logo'd one with a serial # somewhere in the 350 range and I was dissapointed that I couldn't find a gold one with a logo...

then I started monitoring what the siler logo'd ones went for on ebay and they were all in the 550-630 range...the Silvered Logo'd ones bring more than the gold logo'd ones...at 800 usd + this sets a new precedent for wierdness!!

Some people just earn too much money and don't know what to do with it!!

Chow,
    Seegs

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

Hey Klon's are cheap... a Les Paul Junior TV model went for over $20,000 on ebay recently. 20 GRAND FOR AN LP JUNIOR. :NUTS

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

What most "poor musicians" don't seem to realize, is this is not for them. It's for collectors. For someone who wants a specific model, year and color of something. Poor musicians can't afford a Klon at regular pricing anyway.
    And the dumbest argument in the history of internet forums is that some electonics class can duplicate it for $30. If it could have been done for $30 (A tip at a decent restaurant), then it would have been done already. Hell, we'd have China made Dano clones if it were that easy.

14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

"It has almost evolved into a status symbol for awesome tone."

Haha! Couldn't have said it better myself.

15. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

Bingo!

16. Curt

Curt Member

zekmoe

.........."And the dumbest argument in the history of internet forums is that some electonics class can duplicate it for $30. If it could have been done for $30

The only reason is hasn't been done before, is that it hasn't been done before.
    I design aerospace avionics for a living. Potting material is used all the time in the industry, not to prevent reverse engineering, but to prevent vibration failure. Potting material is very often removed to determine cause of failure. You just need the right chemicals along with someone who knows how to do it. Designing a ground proximity warning system for a Lear Jet is difficult. Cloning a Klon is simple. If a part number is rubbed off a transistor or chip, you can still determine its specs. It's just more time consuming.

If I provided high school electronics students with the boards, components, case and schematic, they could build them all day long. If I DIDN’T provide a schematic, but removed any potting material, they could still duplicate it.
    If you can buy a 7 layered Chinese made mother board for $50.00 or a Chinese made TV for $59.95, do you really think they couldn't build a Klon for $40? They could. But they couldn't build in the very desirable "mystique" that it would need to sell to the boutique buyers. And the knee- jerk reaction from of a lot of cork sniffers is, "if it's that cheap, it can't be good as the original". Even if the tone was identical.
    If a Chinese Co. were to use the identical circuit, and stuck it in a cheap styled plastic case and put "Kloon" on the top, people would say it sounded like s**t compared to the original. If I removed all the components from a genuine Klon and put them in a Radio Shack box and then asked Klon owners if they thought my "clone" sounded as good as their original, do you think they would agree that it sounds the same?

A while back, I took the bottom of a very desirable analog boutique pedal and decided to teach my son how to draw a schematic and lay out a board. It took two evenings and he was looking at the schematic. We didn't even need to remove a component. All we needed was an inspection mirror. Next he laid out a new board.
    Within a week, he could have the boards made and delivered and he could stuff them while watching TV.
    We could rub off the part numbers, pot the boards in black RTV and market it as "Curt's Bitchin Pedal".
    Would we do that? No. The builder of the pedal makes his living building pedals and the design belongs to him.

17. Craise

Craise Member

Come on! someone take up the Klon challenge! I've got $150 in my paypal for a clone klon right now. Mxr sized box with AC and Jacks on the top please!
    :cool:;)

18. fatback

fatback Member

no Klones!?

(whistling innocently, looking over shoulder and getting ready to duck...)

OD-820... Austin Gold... Power Driver...

Remove the cheap buffers and....

Oh forget it. This is crazy talk. Just pop for the $800 one on Ebay.
    -Much better bragging rights after all.;)

19. Craise

Craise Member

Yes much fun it would be! (yoda voice):BOUNCE
    It would be so bad...but oh so good....:Spank

20. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The Only People that Bid these dumb prices are the Overseas bidders,Anytime you list Any High End gear and mention that you will ship world Wide you will get some large price Bids going.:jo