Klon or KOT?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NagakuAoshi, Jul 6, 2008.

1. NagakuAoshi

NagakuAoshi Member

If you could keep one, which would you keep? The Klon Centaur or Analogman's King of Tone (recent ed.). Please specify the reason. I can't decide and would like 2nd opinions.

2. ahab

ahab Member

Honestly,
    I would let my ears, hands, and playing make the decision. Which pedal is most useful for you. Which gives you tones that you find essential for your playing. Which feels better, sounds better, etc.?

3. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Tough call! Against any other OD I've tried, either one would win out handily as a keeper. I use them for different things: the KOT (both sides set to clean) to add flavor to my clean tones, the Klon to goose my overdrive channel. I feel both are indispensable, but forced to choose, I'd probably keep the KOT.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i'm a KOT man all the way. two pedals for 235 bucks. my wallet told me it was a no brainer. . . . my ears agreed. put it with a timmy at 105 bucks and i'm still under a KLON. . . .

still would love to try one though :D

5. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Honestly?

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I kept the Klon for it's specific midrange voice in my application. And I preferred red snapper for the open low-medium gain thing. I also wanted more gain than KOT. But it's a great pedal.

7. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

I have both...LOVE the Klon and I like the KOT. I will sell the KOT inevitably, where the KLON will never leave me. It's a really fire breather with my Twin, just too amazing to let go, it will make any amp growl. It just fills everything out and makes the dynamics and response sound SOOOO amazing!

8. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

Not even close, I had both and sold the KOT

9. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I vote the Klon. It's supposed to do some sort of thickening thing that is totally unique. I suspect that several pedals could do something close to the KOT but the Klon is in a league of its own.

10. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Both excellent pedals but I've had and sold a v2 and v4 KOT.

Had one Klon-still have it. It's a one trick pony for me but what a trick!

11. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Havent owned a KOT yet, have plans to get one someday :)

Mr.Klon has been great- I call it the "Butter Box" as it adds fat/warm nuance and boost to any guitar. Very unique all around from its tone to its cast chassis.
    I'd love to cascade 2 klons but the heft $$$ of doing that stings while gas is $4+ per gallon :(

12. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I've got a Klon and a V2 KOT. It would be hard to let one go. IMHO it's down to application. If you play out a lot then keep the Klon. If you play at home then keep the KOT.

Keep both.

13. NagakuAoshi

NagakuAoshi Member

lol, I love the keep both idea, but unfortunately, that's not an option I can choose at this time.

Aside from the pick both option, it seems that more people are leaning towards the Klon b/c it does something super unique that can't be obtained from other pedals.

I'll just wait for a few more people to chime in before I do anything drastic.

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Depends what your after and what amps and guitars you are sing. My Clubman gets very thick sounding as you turn it up so the thickening the Klon offers up might not be a good thing fo rme. I have a KOT right now and use this a my low gainer for everything, it's just th emost musical and real amp tone I have yet to use in a pedal form. The Klon is good but I personally think the KOT has more variability.

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Apples and oranges for me. The KLON I use if I can push the amp to it's sweet spot first and then add it to do it's job, OD and heft.
    The KoT I use to push a sweet spot into the amp, then use the second stage to OD or boost for solos.
    For me, even though they are both OD's, they are not interchangeable. The Kot would be my first choice, but I wouldn't want to not have a KLON.

[​IMG]