Klon or Timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mickey85, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Mickey85

Mickey85 Member

Hey guys, I currently have a Maxon OD9pro+ which does the tubescreamer thing very well. However I'm looking at another overdrive, specifically the new Klon(when it's available) and Timmy variants. What do these two pedals have over the Maxon? I like that the Timmy has a bass cut, I have tried emailing Paul about a Timmy but no reply, is his email still [SIZE=undefined]paulcochrane@comcast.net?? Do I even need a new overdrive? I don't play traditional blues(just use pentatonic scales in lead playing occasionally) and am predominantly a metal guitarist. Much appreciated!
    [/SIZE]

2. jkokura

jkokura Member

Both.

Call Paul, he doesn't really do email.

Jacob

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Klon has a similar sound to a tubescreamer (mid-hump), so it seems like the Timmy would be the best bet- plus Paul is an outstanding guy to work with. The Timmy's EQ knobs are roll-off knobs i believe (take away bass and treble from your signal rather than adding it like other pedals) which makes it incredibly versatile.

4. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

I don't really find the Klon to be similar to a tubescreamer, but to each his own. The Klon is my favorite pedal, and the new one sounds fantastic (I played it yesterday). I don't own a Timmy though, so I can't speak with as much authority about it.

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

It depends on the type of amp you have. If you have a Marshall, then the Timmy will be the golden ticket for it. If you have a fender, then maybe not so much.

At any rate, the Timmy is not a tubescreamer type of pedal at all. It has its own thing going, so you would not get overlap with your Maxon. The klon, well... I would skip that one...