Klon owners....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gremson, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Gremson

Gremson Member

Could anybody tell me the dimensions of a Klon?
    I've been digging the tone of my Banzai Cold Fusion which i read is based off of the Klon. My Cold Fusion is kinda noisy so I'm thinking I might try the real thing.
    I just wanna know if it'll fit on my board.

2. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

6 1/2 inches wide by 5 inches from top to bottom and about 2 inches high(I don't think you need that dimension)

Hope that helps!

3. Gremson

Gremson Member

Aw man.... That's just over the size of space on my board. I think I can make it fit though. It'll just hang off a bit.
    Thanks a lot!

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

I heard that too and sold my first Klon to get an early version CF...suffice to say the Klon is back and the CF long gone...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Seegs, your killing me. :puh

Why do I need this pedal back? I sold it once and now all this damn temptation...

6. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

It's worth buying a bigger board if need be! :D

7. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Exactly... I'm on the verge of that idea. I keep telling myself, "downsize man, just get simple" and then its trying to pull teeth because "well, all these pedals r way too cool to loose..." and then I keep looking at pedals I DONT have yet and then the tgp.gas bug bites and Wham!

I blame this place for my obsession. No doubt.

I look on my screen and see " ... ooohhh, ahhhh, na na na boo boo, I have the newest bestest of them all super-wow-pedal-thingy and you dont..."

And then money just disappears... I feel violated. 8-}

8. jtw

jtw Member

Yeah, you know Oklahoma? the Klon's about that big...but well worth it :)

Seriously, the first time I saw one I was pretty sure a good pilot could land a plane on the thing, but once I heard it, didn't matter.

9. Gremson

Gremson Member

It's funny how different social circles view products. Over at HC where I spend most of my internet time the Klon is more of a subject to roll your eyes at. More hype than anything. Seems like the people over here really regard it as a high class overdrive pedal.

Seegs, you've definitely put my gas over the edge having tried both a Klon and a Cold Fusion. What was it about the Cold Fusion that made you go with the Klon? What was it about the Klon that made it so superior? and What Amp are you using?
    Thanks guys!

10. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

The Klon with any of my 6L6 based Two-Rocks or Fenders that I have is magic. I keep that big mama front and center on the board!! I patiently waited for mine for months and think the hype is justified, but what do I know!

11. Gremson

Gremson Member

I'll be using it with my Sovtek mig 50 with 6l6's. I love the "clean" tone this amp puts out so I think I'll be a perfect candidate for one of deez.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

funny you ask Gremson because it was a very enlightening realization...a sure sign that a pedal is a keeper for me is when I set it and don't have to touch it...if I have to keep fiddling with it there is a reason why and it's a gonner...I would get nice tones with the CF one day and the next day couldn't find those same tones or feel...repeat ad infinitum...the only time I touch my Klon is when I use it for one of its many different uses...sometimes as an OD...sometimes as a clean boost and sometimes as a treble boost/eq. enhancer etc...the many uses are only limited by your own imagination...

secondly have you ever recorded the Klon...an amazing thing happens when you listen to what happens to your guitar tone after kicking the Klon on...it gently lifts your guitar up into its own sonic space and fits it perfectly into the mix without dominating the other instruments and more importantly...the vocals...

I've had many other boosts that just took over and walked all over the rest of the band in fact one very well known boost almost cost me a fairly high profile gig after the band leader heard the tapes pre and post boost...completely washed out the rest of the band and the vocals and it wasn't a volumn thing...it just boosted the wrong freqs...I thought I was sounding killer the tapes made me out to be a selfish muso...lesson learned...

lastly if you're expecting the Klon to blow you out of the water you will probably be dissapointed...it's not a savior and you have to know that it is very setup dependent...mine has lost every basement shootout I've ever put it through and I have a love/hate thing going on with the buffer...I have it in a loop of my Lehle 1@3 switcher as I don't always want it in my chain but live it has always been a positive...

I play through a Fargen Dual Classic and have since 2001...I've also used and played through Komets...BadCats...Orange amps...Vintage Fenders with the Klon and it kills with all of em...

I play teles...strats...a LesPaul and a 335...it's the only pedal that kills with all of them...it's the pedal I've built my board around...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. m@2

m@2 Member

next to my Deluxe memory man and POG the klon is downright tiny : )

14. Hultas

Hultas Member

Thanks for giving me the gas again... :bkw

15. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

He's good at that.

Check this out.

Seegs. Post your board here again.

:worthless

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

will do BH but first I am waiting for the last pedal to come before my board is complete...should be here today...my new secret weapon:stir

Chow,
    Seegs

17. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

If you are disappointed by the Cold Fusion's noisiness, you might find similar disappointment with the Klon because it's noisy too.

18. Gremson

Gremson Member

You just had to ruin it, didn't you.:BITCH

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

mmmm..... is it the landgraff wah?

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

naw actually I'm Landgraff-less for the first time in two years and plan on staying that way...ever since I switched to Scumback speakers I've had to make a few changes to my chain...those speaks rendered all my drive boxes obsolete except the Klon...which kills with those speaks...those speaks also brought the XTS Precision Overdrive back from the dead...gone are the Landgraff MO'D...Skreddy Screwdriver and the Tubeless is on the block...replaced by my new secret weapon the Telenordia TA-24 treble booster which is first in my chain and plays well with all my pedals including the Klon...this thing is not to be believed...but more on that later after I've had some time with it...as promised the latest incarnation of my PB and I have a feeling this will stay this way for a bit...the DBD might be replaced by a Hiwatt Tape Echo but that is a ways off after I've had a chance to demo one...but to do that I have to go to London as there are none to be found here...Chow, Seegs
    [​IMG]