Klon Pedal Updates?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bodhisattva, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Anyone know of a place to check for updates regarding the new Klon Pedal?

Apparently Rockett Pedals and the old Klon Siberia sites are not the place for updates.

Or is it just word on the street in places like TGP?

Grazie.

2. tibbon

tibbon Member

Easiest thing is just to look at Bill's profile on here for recent posts. He doesn't post frequently, but when he does they are about the best information.

Latest news is still roughly the same as before (depending when you last checked).

Bill showed the new pedal at NAMM. Its smaller. Has true bypass or buffer. 9VDC, tip negative power and top jacks.

He's said that he's hoping that it will be coming through in a few months (2-6 months if I remember right? Don't quote me on that), but that of course delays could happen and this is not a promise. Pricing nor launch date have been announced.

Bill said that about the only thing that has changed on the circuit is two resistors, which in the circuit have the same effective resistance as the prior pedal, but they were needed to account for the new buffer/tb switching. (Again, I might have some weird detail on this wrong, but basically... same circuit, smaller enclosure).

And pretty much everyone who played it at NAMM has seemed to agree with my experiences that the new and old ones sound pretty damn near the same.

3. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

He told me to just keep watching the website. He hopes to have an email mailing list sign-up soon...

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I've heard it's coming out in 2010. Can't wait!

5. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Man, I can't wait for the Klon. Need something new to replace my drive with.

6. Jonnygeetard

Jonnygeetard Member

You're going to be disappointed if you're looking to replace a drive.

7. drneely

drneely Member

The thread that Bill was actually posting in got locked. bummer, guess it will just be checking the webpage every now and again.

8. tibbon

tibbon Member

Believe me, when it is announced for sale, I'm sure TGP will be all over it and you'll see nothing buy Klon threads. It will be hard to miss.

9. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I know--everyone here who got one will be selling them at twice what they paid!

10. JTL

JTL Member

:rotflmao

11. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I heard that the old ones will be able to be updated via a USB cable.

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Hi David, When you had the Klon and were doing comparisons, did you ever put it thru a SS amp like the JC120? I'm just curious. Jerry

13. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

Really? I read somewhere it was going to be done through carrier pigeons. :huh

14. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Why do you say that? I've never used one so I don't know the tones - just all the hype about being the best pedal ever, whatever tone that may be!

15. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

It is the worlds best tone fattener, or so it is said. Currently it is the worlds best pedal tease.

16. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Boost/eq-shift/fattening your signal. I actually do like the OD fine, but it excels in the first three; its OD is middling.

17. tibbon

tibbon Member

Nope. Never tried that. Here's why:

My thoughts on overdrives is that 70% of the tone change should come from pushing the first gain stage harder (which of course, pushes them all a little bit harder). 30% of the sound is coming from the pedal adding its own distortion/overdrive. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but in general that's why if you put 10 overdrives on similar settings through the same amp they all sound ever so roughly the same... because its the amp that's actually doing most of the work there.

With a SS amp, I have a hard time imagining that pushing the preamp will result in anything good. For SS, you want better gain staging, and abstaining from clipping in places that weren't made to be overdriven.

Anyway, it would be a neat thing to try (we have a JC-120H in the studio) but I worry that the results would be less than stellar. It was designed to drive a tube amp. :)

18. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

All the hype and $ for fattening your tone? Couldn't a decent EQ do that for a lot less $?

19. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

The germanium diodes and other parts of the circuit do more than just an eq shift. It's almost like stepping on it changes the wattage of your amp a bit; the dynamics jump out more, a touch of grit is added, and your overall tone just "improves." A fun read is Nels Cline's essay on touring without an amp and relying on what the house offers. In most cases he's stuck with a very tone-less Peavey or something, or even a SS amp. He repeatedly mentions how he uses the Klon purely to get back the tone of using a nice tube amp.

20. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

Two EQ pedals and a DS-1 covers at least 100% of all overdrive and distortion pedals.

But the resale value sucks.