Klon placement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gregovertone, Dec 27, 2005.

1. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

sooo,
    i am going to have 2 ODs on my board.

klon and fulldrive.

should the klon go first, because of the buffer?

any recommendations?

2. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

id imagine the klon would do best as the first in the chain. BUT, I dont have your rig and most likely not your playing style or tone taste, so trial and error would work best upon finding this out

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Wow those are some real estate suckers. Do you have the klon yet? If not you may be suprised if it just knocks the FD off. But I owuld run the klon before the FD if I kept them both as the klons buffer works best first in line. Have fun!!

4. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

just put it on. its big :) didnt realize it was soo large. Boss dual pedal size :)

i find i like it in front of the FD2. i think its because i didnt want to tear my board apart to put the klon behind it ;)

plus, i just wasn't sure if there was a recommend position.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I guess it would depend on how you are going to use your Klon...I think that most who use it as a clean boost stick it at the end of the chain...

fwiw the buffer is also usful when it is at the end of your chain...

if I were using it as a Tubescreamer or od pedal then I would put it near the front...after wah and compression if I was using them...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I only use my Klon as a clean boost so I run it last. If I put it before my Fulldrive II or Tube Screamer it adds too much gain and compression to the signal and doesn't give me the volume boost I'm looking for. In addition, I find the tone control...which is one of the Klons best features IMO.... is more useful when the pedal is running last.

7. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Run my Klon last as well. Works great after the OCD and ZenDrive.

8. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I use mine as an overdrive with lots of volume boost/color.
    Gain : 2 o-clock
    Tone : 12 o-clock
    Volume : 2 o-clock

I actually run mine as follows

Guitar -> DLX Memory Man -> Mutron Phasor -> Klon -> Lofi Loop -> Grainy Amp tone.

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, you asked, IMHO...

Off Your Board, and given back to Bill Finnegan.

Long live the FDII, plenty of gain, boosting and everything else you could need, plus you save like $150, and the ovedrive of the FDII is WAY better, than the Klon's grainy, harsh overdrive.

As a boost the Klon is fantastic, as anything else, it sucks, and IMHO, its WAY overpriced.

10. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I dunno, I tried mine next to tons of other pedals (matchless hotbox, fulltone fulldrive, 70, ts9, ts808 etc etc) and it completely owned. Maybe its my picking style and tone preference though.
    Ive got it to work as a good grainifier/clean boost, and if the amp is already gainy, it works as a sweet' color/overdriver.

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

Klon after the Full-Drive. The buffer is excellent in the Klon but Fulltone pedals don't like it. I've tried that route and I didn't like the out come. Kept the Klon, got rid of the Full-Drive. I use an original Expandora now and it sounds great with the Klon I think, yet I know nothing. :D

12. t.hendrix

t.hendrix Member

i would like to get more info.
    octavia, fuzz face,ocd,tim,klon? or octavia ,fuzz face, ocd ,klon ,tim.
    also incoming dirt,,,, dls,wizard,gain changer.
    i got myself into a big mess!!!should of stuck with my rockitt retros with the lamar master volume and the ocd> lol!!!

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Man, that's an expensive clean boost!!!

14. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

I'd place it in a bank vault!

15. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

How are you using your Tim? If it's as a boost you'll probably just have to pick between the two.

16. pharmacybear

pharmacybear Member

Don't remember OP's asking which one people liked more. FWIW Read some interviews with famous guitar players (Nels Cline, Warren Haynes, Matt Schofield). The Klon isn't your run of the mill OD, it's more of a preamp.

Anyhow, I put my Klon before my other dirt pedals (currently an RC Booster) but after my pedals that don't like buffers (which I don't have, but that would be something like a fuzz face or wah). I like the buffer to bring my signal back up from the cables right away. I also like how the Klon colors, so I like having it first. The rest of my pedals are True Bypass until you get to the end of the chain where I have a Boss DM3 which has another buffer in it. This also gives strong signal out to the amp. Strong signal in, strong signal out.

If I were you I would do Fuzz Face or Octavia first for sure because they hate buffers. Then Klon. Then probably OCD and Tim. You have to decide which ones you are using for boost and which ones for actual dirt. Boosts will increase volume only if they're in the end of the chain, otherwise they just drive the pedals after it. Also decide which ones you're going to stack. I personally would use the Tim at the end for merely a solo boost. If you have 3 more OD's coming in the mail on top of all these, I would maybe reconsider how many OD's you're using.

17. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Obligatory zombie thread! 7years old! That's a bump and a half! Haha

Carry on...

18. t.hendrix

t.hendrix Member

LOL!!! FOUNTAINS OF INFORMATION ON THE GEAR PAGE!!!!!!:dude