1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Klon question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveB, Feb 16, 2009.

1. DaveB

DaveB Member

Hi guys,

I bought a used Klon Centaur about 9 years ago and I have been looking for info about it but seem to get some conflicting views as to its age etc from various online sites.

It is gold with the brown bakelite knobs but it doesnt have the centaur ("horsie") graphic on it.

Is this a really early one, before the silver ones, before or after the gold horsie ones.....

Any help much appreciated. I will get some photos tomorrow and post them up. IIRC the serial number is written on the PCB.

May think about selling the beastie as its huge space on my pedalboard has been taken up with three Jetter pedals :)

Thanks for any info

Dave

2. duende

duende Member

It's a later model. After both the silver and gold horse graphic models.

In fact yours is the current model in production.

They all sound the same though, so don't sweat it... unless you're a collector.

3. Drifting

Drifting Member

I thought the current models were silver with brown knobs.

I could be wrong though.

If the current model is the plain gold then that's a good thing. Been wanting one.

4. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

You are correct. The current version is silver with no graphic.

5. Drifting

Drifting Member

:cry:

Well, all in all, it's the sound that intrigues me, and I'm glad to hear they've kept a consistency in sound.

It's frustrating how alot of legendary pedals, amps, guitars, could range from great to ******.

Take JTM45's. At the time, not a big deal, until later on. Without knowing of their future success, marshall would just throw in whatever type of transformers were available, making some less than magical.

6. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, in order of production:

1. Silver w/ horsie

2. Gold w/ horsie

3. Gold

4. Silver & (for the past year or so) Gold (2nd run)

Regarding #4, I believe he makes both now...or at least he's made several gold ones recently.

7. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I had one for 2 weeks in 1996: gold with horsie.

8. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

I'm not an expert, but i think the gold box/centaur is the original, hence the high $ collectors will pay for them. Mine's a mid-90's gold box/centaur.
    NOTE: That's wrong- see, i said I wasn't an expert (I was right about that at least).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  9. DaveB

DaveB Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Mine is serial number 3213 - coming to an overpriced auction near you soon ;)

Dave

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

silver horseys were the first and usually go for more than the gold horseys as they are rarer...one went for about $1000 on ebay...I think 94 was when the first ones shipped...I've got silver horsey #354...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Thanks Seegs, i stand corrected!

12. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I ordered my Klon about a year ago and was expecting a silver/no graphic. Bill called and said that he was waiting on more silver boxes but he still had some gold/no graphic boxes around so I went with that one. Love my Klon for sure. I go between using as a dirty boost or clean boost- both sounds are so good it's hard to decide but it's clean boost for now.

13. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

Any more info about dating the Klon Centaurs? Does anyone know what years the designs were changed? And some way to date a pedal by it's serial number to a specific year? What numbers are they at know?
    Come on, we need a lot more info on this! (It should almost be made in to a sticker thread named "How to date a Klon Centaur" or something like that...)

14. R13D

R13D Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of my #1571 purchased around '97-'98.

15. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

Mine is about the same period, but the red/brown details on mine are darker. Is that because of age, lighting of the photo or was there ever a period with darker parts?

16. R13D

R13D Supporting Member

The lighting on the shot was pretty bad (Overexposed) and it makes the script and knobs look redder/lighter.I'm far from an expert on the details over the years though!

17. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

Sounds right, though! Most beastieman Klon's I've seen have been more or less like mine, but some maybe a little bit lighter.

Where can one find out about how to date these as exact as possible? I've really been looking, but found nothing of real value. I know the basics.

18. R13D

R13D Supporting Member

I bet someone here has that info!

19. In Tune

In Tune Member

is this correct ?? silver horse , before gold horse?

20. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

When I ordered one over a year ago Bill was making some gold ones but most were silver. I asked for a gold one but the guy at the store told me the silver ones would be quicker to get as the gold cases were a bit more of a hassle for Bill to get made. He suggested getting a silver as the sound was the same so this is what I did.