Klon, SS3 and Ethos

Rock72

Three heavy weighters, price and sizewise as well as availability. Different beasts, but for those who have had/have two or all of them, which do you prefer/keep? Overlap?

This is not a "which one is best" thread, just a comparison/preferences/use.

Roll............

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
I had all three (well, an SS2 + the Klon and the Ethos).

Quite different beasts. The Klon, as has been noted over and over, is perhaps THE boost pedal-used into a clean amp solely for its overdrive, it is not a universal pleaser. The Soft Sustain can get one into Gilmour "On An Island" overdrive, a lovely, well, SOFT od that can offer the tiniest bit of bite with a strat or tele; it's a polite, "British" drive with some attitude lying underneath. The Ethos is perhaps the best ticket to Dumbleland I've purchased. The only one here with two channels, a gorgeous clean and then the chirpy-yet-smooth laser-focused overdrive a Dumble pours out. The boost can sound a bit odd when played at home, but it sits absolutely perfectly in a band mix and makes one want to never stop playing. Plus, one can go direct with the Ethos, and it sounds pretty darned amazing.

Again, I HAD all three. The klon I sold because someone wanted to pay me stupid amounts of money for it; the Cornish because of much-needed money (mine was a Duplex, with a G2-again, stupid money!; the Ethos is the one that I'm looking at again, and I don't know why I sold it. I'd pick up a SS again if they weren't so expensive, and the Klon is a great pedal to have, but I didn't find it essential for my needs.

Alan

Iggster

I have the Klon and SS3. The Klon is an open sounding overdrive, so you can do jangling chords with it, and it won't get muddy. The SS3 is an open sounding fuzz, so you can do jangling chords with it, and it won't get muddy, except it sounds kind of like a Marshall amp gained up half way or so.

Rock72

I have the Klon and SS3. The Klon is an open sounding overdrive, so you can do jangling chords with it, and it won't get muddy. The SS3 is an open sounding fuzz, so you can do jangling chords with it, and it won't get muddy, except it sounds kind of like a Marshall amp gained up half way or so.
So you don't find to much overlap between the SS3 and the klon?

Thanks for a good answer Agluit :beer

DBoyBlues

I have both the Klon and the Ethos. The Klon I love for both a clean boost and its overdrive. This and a nice clean amp go together great! The Ethos is a great pedal for many different scenarios. I used it a while back into my old Peavey Classic 30 (when I had it) and it beefed it up perfectly. Clean channel is just amazing. Smooth overdrive makes you want to play more and more and the description above is perfect since it sounds best with a band. At home I just play with the stereo really loud so i have a band with me at all times :D. The Klon adds something magical into the Ethos. If you don't like the boost on the gain channel, the Klon can help in that area as well. Between these two of course there is potential overlap but they go great together as well.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned and i am on the list for a small sized SS-3.

I have to say that the SS-3 is like a swiss army and it sounds terrific depending on the volume, headroom and way you use it.

I think as an OD it might be the best OD out there.
I also own a Tim, which stacked with the SS-3 in a beautiful way and owned a KOT (again on the list for one) but as i said, the SS-3 id the father of OD's

Rock72

I have owned and i am on the list for a small sized SS-3.

I have to say that the SS-3 is like a swiss army and it sounds terrific depending on the volume, headroom and way you use it.

I think as an OD it might be the best OD out there.
I also own a Tim, which stacked with the SS-3 in a beautiful way and owned a KOT (again on the list for one) but as i said, the SS-3 id the father of OD's
Sounds most excellent. Mine should be here tomorrow :bow

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I would absolutely disagree that the SS3 is a swiss army knife because results from all of these are going to vary depending on the amp. Case in point:

Into a Hiwatt, 79 50w, Fane loaded cabinet: the SS3 is tonal nirvana. I can't imagine something else could do it better. The Klon sounds good but not nearly in the same league.

Into a JBL loaded 65 Pro Reverb: the Klon does exactly what it's supposed to, a little off the top, a little off the bottom, pushing the amp slightly broken up or with the distortion cranked, it sounds great. The SS3 sound like a thin, FF style fuzz in this setting, just too much top end and not enough of the mids the Fender needs. Playing with the EQ doesn't solve the problem.

And most other amps fall in the middle, some do better with the Klon, some with the SS3. I'd say if British or Tweed voices are your wheelhouse, the SS3. If BF Fender, the Klon. As to the Ethos, it's job is more to take over your amp and turn it into a Dumble. Great trick but not really the same idea as the other two (which are designed to give you more of what your amp/rig sounds like). Plus the Ethos is still available for a LOT less than the other two on the new market.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I would absolutely disagree that the SS3 is a swiss army knife because results from all of these are going to vary depending on the amp. Case in point:

Into a Hiwatt, 79 50w, Fane loaded cabinet: the SS3 is tonal nirvana. I can't imagine something else could do it better. The Klon sounds good but not nearly in the same league.

Into a JBL loaded 65 Pro Reverb: the Klon does exactly what it's supposed to, a little off the top, a little off the bottom, pushing the amp slightly broken up or with the distortion cranked, it sounds great. The SS3 sound like a thin, FF style fuzz in this setting, just too much top end and not enough of the mids the Fender needs. Playing with the EQ doesn't solve the problem.

And most other amps fall in the middle, some do better with the Klon, some with the SS3. I'd say if British or Tweed voices are your wheelhouse, the SS3. If BF Fender, the Klon. As to the Ethos, it's job is more to take over your amp and turn it into a Dumble. Great trick but not really the same idea as the other two (which are designed to give you more of what your amp/rig sounds like). Plus the Ethos is still available for a LOT less than the other two on the new market.
Well, i was referring to it using it with my rig.

The MDD has lot's of headroom and the pedal sounded excellent and so it did with a Road King, go figure.

But as i said, it is king with my setup.

Rock72

Well, i was referring to it using it with my rig.

The MDD has lot's of headroom and the pedal sounded excellent and so it did with a Road King, go figure.

But as i said, it is king with my setup.
How do you use the SS3 and the KOT? Is the latter the low gainer???

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
How do you use the SS3 and the KOT? Is the latter the low gainer???
I have used them at different times, sold my KOT and got in the list but i am planning to use the yellow side of it more than the red side.

I reality, with the MDD i can get those tones better, better than all of my OD pedals, but at stage volume.
The pedals are to give me a notion of how things will work in a song when i am at home and also to create different shades of tones.
But as i said, the MDD will eat the pedals when it comes so sounding great.
But yes, i will ise the KOT and TIM as my low gainers and the SS3 for a leads and some power chords ala DG.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I sold my Ethos, and Kept the SS-3 & Klon. However, the utility of the Ethos is fantastic, because it can be used direct, and has a beautiful clean side. My issue with it was that I have a pedal I believe does the "D" thing better to my ears, and I have an amp with beautiful cleans already (Bogner Goldfinger).

The SS-3 is too unique for me to get rid of. It has a killer Rhythm tone IMO that I just fell in love with. And finally, the Klon, used with an amp on the verge of break-up (especially a Fender amp), is THE epitome of Rock. On my Alpha Channel of my Goldfinger, it really gets muscular, and cuts through a mix wonderfully.

Hiwatt Bob

never tried the ethos. but i have A/B'd the Klon and SS-3 and I give the slight edge to the SS-3. This was through a clean to moderately broken up Hiwatt.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Love to try an SS3. I like everything I've heard about it but I couldn't possibly shell out that sort of coin without trying one. In Perth, Western Australia that's gonna be tricky...

MG90

My issue with it was that I have a pedal I believe does the "D" thing better to my ears, and I have an amp with beautiful cleans already (Bogner Goldfinger).

What pedal do you have that does the Dumble? I am looking for something and I don't really have the budget or the real estate for the Ethos. I keep wondering about the Alpha...

Trending Topics