Klon + Tubescreamer + ???

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I have board space for 1 more dynamics/od/boost pedal.

Currently I use a Klon for a lower gain drive an 808HW for medium gain drive (both pushing a breaking up fender deluxe reverb)...thinking possibly a 3rd pedal for higher gain, really singing sustainy leads. Maybe another 808HW with the gain cranked Ala Trey Anastasio?

I've tried fuzzes and muffs for this but they don't really cut through live with my fender amp, especially compared to the midrange voiced Klon and 808.

Another 808? A different higher gain OD that's midrange heavy? A clean boost to stack with the Klon/808? A compressor?

alamere

Depends on your preference.. I played a Klon-808 combo for years.. loved it.
Just like you, Klon for lower gain, 808 for more drive and to use on anything 'smoky'.

I ended up adding a Super Hard-on boost at some point and I've always had one on my board ever since.. but, I've also used a compressor at times and recently added a Cali 76 type compressor for a similar purpose.
Personally, I've never made the 2 x 808 thing work very well.. I always wanted that 2nd voice to be at least.. a tiny bit, different.
The SHO works so well because you can boost directly into the 808, so it essentially gives you 2 unique 808 sounds.. or, you can use it on it's own.

If another pure volume boost isn't your thing, I've seen a ton of people add a higher gain option like a RAT, or an OCD.. all great choices.. but the choice between them REALLY depends on exactly what you are trying to get.

drumsoc21

I think it depends on whether you plan on stacking all 3 pedals together to reach gain saturation, or whether you just want a high gain pedal in the 3rd spot. It would also help to know whether you're using single-coils or humbuckers.

I use a Strat into a DRRI with a similar setup, and have found that a Plimsoul or JHS @T work well for me as a 3rd gain stage.

Caprica

I have a bad bob boost after my little Mo klone and Analogman 808 silver. Bad bob is nice as a lead boost

I have done the 808 into the rat thing. Makes the rat creamier, but the rat is off my board at the moment cause I am going through a "My ears are tired of distortion" phase

Last edited:

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I think it depends on whether you plan on stacking all 3 pedals together to reach gain saturation, or whether you just want a high gain pedal in the 3rd spot. It would also help to know whether you're using single-coils or humbuckers.

I use a Strat into a DRRI with a similar setup, and have found that a Plimsoul or JHS @T work well for me as a 3rd gain stage.

Not planning on stacking neccesarily. The Klon > 808 sounds good but stacking tends to be a bit noisy. Maybe stacking with a comp or clean Boost could work though.

I use humbuckers (with coil taps occasionally)

Caprica

Not planning on stacking neccesarily. The Klon > 808 sounds good but stacking tends to be a bit noisy. Maybe stacking with a comp or clean Boost could work though.

I use humbuckers (with coil taps occasionally)

The charge pump in the klone makes the volume quite high. I find I need to cut the volume on the klone when stacking.

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Tumnis in front of a JHS Doublebarrel which gives me klone > tubescreamer > bluesbreaker pedals. Each sounds great on there own and when stacked in different combinations.

losrogers

Currently I use a Klon for a lower gain drive an 808HW for medium gain drive (both pushing a breaking up fender deluxe reverb)...thinking possibly a 3rd pedal for higher gain, really singing sustainy leads. Maybe another 808HW with the gain cranked Ala Trey Anastasio?

TS808 Reissue (Analogman Silver) is perfect for pushing your Deluxe Reverb to higher gain and singing, sustainy leads.

The Analogman Silver Tube Screamer has a little more clarity and compliments the Hand Wired version. Between these two you're covered should you ever make separate boards.

joevacc

You might check out a J. Rockett "The Dude".
That thing can add a ton of gain but is a whole lot more versatile and touch sensitive than a TS IME... The Klon into the Dude works well too.

The PoT suggestion is a good one as well but I let mine go and use the Dude because I love how it breaks up.

Good Luck,

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Thinking either a Cali76 CD to kick on for leads to take either the 808 or the Klon up a notch with sustain and some boost....or another Tubescreamer set with the gain cranked.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Said with much friendliness, those pedals stack with most anything - especially into a Deluxe. If you must have a specific recommendation try a Bluesbreaker or a Rat. My favs here are the Magpie [cuts bass], the Ohmless Solana, the Hartman LM308, and the JHS Kilt.

If your fuzz isn't cutting with a Deluxe I recommend changing your speaker to a Weber 12F150B. The "B" is important!

https://www.tedweber.com/best-speaker-fender-deluxe-reverb
https://www.tedweber.com/12f150-b

That speaker represents the best $125ish delivered that I've ever spent and they have a 10% off sale today.

[no affiliation]

I also recommend putting your fuzz before your Klon if you're struggling to cut.

Aside: the best Klon for the Deluxe (my ears) is the Sick As (modded Klon, lil bit brighter).

Enjoy!

Edit: if you want a compressed tone, the Plimsoul may be a good choice from demos. The Dover Drive (full disclosure: am selling one but bought an Old School Dover) or a Tube Driver would also work.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom