1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

KLon type boosts.List em!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riffpowers, Nov 13, 2005.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Hi Guys
    I'm GASing for a boost pedal that adds fatness and sustain for solos that is transparent and doesn't cut any bass from my bassy matamp.
    I was wondering if the klon really lives up to the hype, and also what other choices there are out there.
    Opinions and experiences would be welcome, and links and clips would be great too.

2. Just1more

Just1more Supporting Member

You will get different opinions, but for me the Klon's boost is hard to beat.
    I have tried a lot of pedals, without finding something as good.
    If you are just going for the clean boost, it's kind of overkill to spring for the Klon though.

3. blong

blong Supporting Member

I recently picked up a Rocktron Austin Gold pedal for $40. It has been called a "poor man's" Klon. I haven't AB'd it with a Klon just yet, but I like it a lot for exactly what the Klon does. I have played with a Klon a couple of times (a couple of buddies own them), and from memory I would say the Austin Gold gets a similar type of boost, and is very transparent. I will eventually AB with a Klon. I don't suspect it is as good, but for 1/10 the price, it ain't that bad.

I actually play with this pedal on all the time now. It makes the clean channel on my Rivera Rake sound very sparkly and tight. The overdrive channel, well, it does the same and kicks the dirt up a bit.

Check one out, if you can.

Bob

4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I sold my silver Klon and Kept the RC boost,I like the RC better as the Klon just wasnt doing anything the RC cant do,and I can dial in treible and bass as needed,I dont think the price of the Klon Justified it for me to Keep,so sold it and invested in a nice tele.

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

The clean boost of a Klon is great, but what I really like is the OD. To me, it's perfect. I have yet to find another OD that does "that" as well as a Klon does -- although man I would love to find one for about half the $$$ and footprint of a Centaur.

I'm open for suggestions. :)

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

I'd love to be able to get rid of my Silver Logo'd Klon as they are fetching big bucks and I could sure use the money...but nothing can replicate what it does both tonally and feel wise...live is where it has proven itself to be indespensible to me...

I know the buffer is not perfectly transparent and does some funny things to my clean tone and other dirt boxes and although minmal they are noticeable...

But what it does when it's off is to restore my high end in a nice way (via its much maligned buffer) which is lost from the long cable runs when using my Lehle A/B/Y for channel switching... these negative side effects that are so apparent at home are not heard or felt by me live and that is where IMO the Klon excells...not in all the basement shootouts I've done where its weaknesses are much more apparent...

I also know that the od tones sound nasal when I've tested it alone in my basement and more so when shooting it out against other TS clones which have a flatter eq curve...although I have found that I can minimize the nasalness by increasing the treble as I increase gain....live that midiness equates into an advantage as it cuts and sits in the band mix really nice...

I know the clean boost fattens things up which is sometimes the last thing I need as my amp is already fat enough already but in some situations it is welcome...when used as a clean boost I find it is great for fattening single coils up in a trio or for a slight volumn boost during louder parts or when stacking with other dirt boxes to put them over the top which it does extremely well...

By increasing the treble and leaving the volumn at unity I also have used it so that my rhythm parts sit or cut better in a dense mix like the 14 piece horn Funk band with two guitars/keys and horns that I used to play in...

I have looked far and wide at great expense for something to replace my Klon and while it has not really fared all that well in all the at home shootouts I've done with it...on stage it is my goto security blanket and when all else fails the Klon has never failed to deliver...it just seems to sit and cut through the band mix without dominating... better than any other replacement boost/od I've tried...plus the feel of it is amazing and hard to put into words...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi Mr Powers :)

Clark Gainster

HAO Rust Booster II LTD.

Bye,
    Lars

8. John II

John II Member

Banzai - Cold Fusion pedal

~John II

9. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Me too on Klon OD tones...so fat and good.

Someone mentioend a Clark Gainster...I have the small Barber?Clark model, and while I can get close on gain tones, the Klon still has a fatness and presence that seem to make it stand alone.
    Greg

10. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

Analogman TS9-808 Silver

you'll love it

everything the klon wishes it was

11. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I've had a Klon and miss it, but I needed to cash it in. The closest I've found to a good replacement -- for clean boost purposes -- is the Burris Boostier. Fattens up the sound exactly the way my Klon did.

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Burriss Boostier is the only one that I've tried that nails the Klon's clean boost.. I even like it better. I've owned two Klon's at one time, and they are both gone now, the Burriss Boostier is more natural, and it nails the Klon so close it's scary..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey Boostier guys...just bought one used & really like it...definitely Klon-like. Is it normal for the input pot to be crackly?
    Greg

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

yep thats fine :) great pedal!! saw one go on ebay recently for 80 bucks and thought damn someone got a helluva deal

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes the input crackles.. The Burriss Boostier is wonderfull, I can't believe that people haven't cought on to the Boostier yet. This pedal is most wonderfull when the Input (Gain) is turned up to about 3:00 oclock, you get the blues tone, that has grit, but still is clean also.. This is one special pedal.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks guys...enjoying it mucho. May need to investigate the Boostiest. :D

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

hmmm. i love my boostiest cranked :) but my rambler is hard to push to overdrive anyways.

18. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

the boostier and boostiest look cool. need a special power supply for these since they run 18V ??

don't laugh, but the zoom power driver was touted as poor man's klon by many. I have one and dig it. really nice extra grit with humbucker axes :)

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've got a Crowther Audio Hotcake that I chose after doing an 8 pedal shootout about 5 years ago... Don't ask me to recall what else was in there... A couple of green pedals, a Menatone, Fulldrive?

I wanted something to make my Carmen Ghia sound like ABB @ the Fillmore East & chose the Hotcake.

However, I have read many people's reviews saying that it was in a similar vein as the Klon.

Great clean boost, nice sounding dirt, though you won't want it all the way maxxed on the gain. Very transparent.

20. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Another vote for the RC Booster.